Golf Driver- slower swing speed

oleinone

Visit site
I'm 72, reasonably fit and hit my driver c.180yds. It's a Titleist 910 D2 with a light 50g shaft. I hit a TM M4 5 wood, again with a light shaft, not far short. My pro, with whom I have fairly regular lessons, has suggested trying a 2nd hand Titleist TS1, a driver designed for slower swings. A Mygolfspy extensive trial of moderate swing speed drivers has the Stealth HD coming out on top. Would be interested to hear the experiences of members in a similar category.
Despite the ever expanding Youtube testers of drivers, nearly all feature some beefy/toned so and so who carries it 250 yds+ which isn't much help.
A fitting may be the next step.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The model itself or shaft or 'design' (which is a loose term for marketing story) will make no meaningful distance difference.
What loft is your existing driver ? Lofting up might help if still playing it at 9 or 10deg with a slower swing speed.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try cranking it up to 12 if it can go that high.

I would have thought the shaft rather than the model was key. Interesting.

A fitting could be fun and an interesting exercise. If you do it, please post the results

Ultimately, that may be your distance now. This isn't a slur, I'm younger than you and hit it 180-190yds, very similar to yourself. I just try to hit it consistently and as straight as possible. That bit I can, partially 😉, control.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
It doesnt sound like your current driver is a terrible fit, so I doubt there will be loads to gain from a new driver. I definately wouldnt be buying even second hand without going for a fit.

My advice, if lessons etc are already happening, would be go for a fit, find out the weight/flex and bend profile of the best shaft and the type of head (low spin/max forhiveness etc) as well as loft. Any half way decent fitter will give you those.

Then off to find similar on golfbidder.

If you get the info above, there will be a thousand people on this forum who can recommend suitable combinations...

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m a senior with a slow swing and would also recommend a fitting, the shaft is probably more important then make of club.

When I had my fitting I tried various makes and shafts and the last one I tried was the best option

It was strange because I had one practice swing with the last one and I said to the pro “ this is the one” it just felt right

My brother who’s older went to same pro and came away with a different driver than me.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I would suggest that you go for a fitting and then see how the results compare with your current driver. I'm 64 and it hit it circa 200 yards. I've taken the decision that my driver goes (relatively) straight and (reasonably) long so that I have decided that any change of driver will probably not get me much more in terms of distance or accuracy.

Smoj

Visit site
FWIW I went from a TSi3 to a Stealth HD, I gained about 25 yards and hit more fairways. 🤷‍♂️ No idea what happened or how it happened, but I love the stealth HD.
The HD model of the stealths isn't talked about very often, it's always the core or plus drivers.. but the HD is a fantastic club.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Below are average distances per handicap. Given that it’s arcoss data I would suggest it’s mostly from sub 50year old players in the main.

At your age I wouldn’t beat yourself up over your distance but as you’re fit, you could try training from YouTube videos such as GOLFWOD or fit for golf. Over speed training might be a bit more dangerous on your body but you can build on the exercise stuff.
IMG_0162.jpeg