driver heads and light shafts

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The "current" driver in my bag the m2 has quite a light head so use a light shaft in it. Ive also noticed that a few of the newer drivers now have very light shafts in, the Epic for instance.

a friend who's off +2 has moved from a 65g shaft to a 50g shaft, but still with less spin and more distance with the Epic. another guy i know, who also hits a good ball has gone from 70g to 60g in an Epic.

obviously a lighter club means you can swing it quicker, but is it as simple as that?

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
I was the opposite, went from a heavy-ish nike sq driver to a light headed M2. Had to change the shaft to something heavier than standard stiff as felt I 'lost' where the club was.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was the opposite, went from a heavy-ish nike sq driver to a light headed M2. Had to change the shaft to something heavier than standard stiff as felt I 'lost' where the club was.

i was the opposite, i had a 70g shaft i was using in the m1, the same shaft in the m2, was terrible, couldn't feel the head of the club at all.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went to a lighter shaft with my Callaway driver compared with my old Titleist. Decent increase in club head speed and a lot less spin. Now using a 50g shaft and it just feels easier to make a smooth swing. Don't know if it's the latest "ism" but all the fitters seem to be going that way vs the older heavier / regular options.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've been to the Titleist National Fitting centre in st Ives this week and had a fitting for my woods.
Dan recommended going up 5gm in weight on my driver shaft from 60 to 65, but down from X to S in stiffness, moving from my Diamana Blue to the Aldila Rogue Max.

I think the theory is not to just follow a trend but find which head/weight/shaft/grip/ball combo works best for you.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reduced the shaft weight in my driver and four woods by around 20g (to 56g), gone to a regular shaft in my four wood (from stiff) and along with newer technology compared to my old 913's I'm 23 yds further with both. Works for me at least but your mileage may vary.