Anyone using a 40g driver shaft?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the PXG 0211 drivers and the recommendation for me is a senior shaft, agreed, with either a 40g or 50g shaft. The nice man suggested 40g to give some extra club head speed, whilst swinging slowly ?, but I'm worried that could feel too light. He stated it wasn't whippy but again, that is the fear.

I've spoken to a couple of forum members about this but I thought I'd throw it out there for others to comment on.

Is anyone using a shaft at this weight? How do you find it?

Please, no replies about getting fitted. I can't get fitted for this but the club has a 60 day return offer so it is not an all or nothing situation.

The shaft in question is a Project X, Evenflow Riptide CB 40g or 50g

Wanabe

Visit site
I was fitted by PXG for a Gen5 Driver and I found that the 50g shaft was best for me because I found it easier to square the face at impact and the heavier shaft caused me to block right. I have a swing speed of 105 and ball speed of 150 just for reference. Think that is fairly quick for an amateur. Hope that helps. Think Mark Crossfield also uses a v light shaft. It is the Evenflow 50g stiff

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haven’t gone as low as 40g but following crossfields uchoob vid I swapped a counter balanced 65g tensi for a 50g blacktie and purely on feel I much prefer it. The CB made it hard to gauge where the head was during the swing, I find the lighter conventional shaft gives more feedback.

That being said this year has been a work in progress with the swing and I haven’t actually tested both on a monitor for stats.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Weirdly, I struggled to feel the driver head with anything lighter than 60g at my fitting. Just goes to show one size definitely does not fit all.

Larry long dog

Visit site
My driver shaft is 42g on my m4. I swapped my 12 degree head on it about 4 months ago for a 10.5 and regretted it ever since. I think it was possibly better suited to the 12 degree. Either that or my swing has gone to rat poo.

Fabia999

Visit site
I have a 45 gram shaft in my TS1 driver. It is light, very light but not whippy but then again, I only swing at 75/80 mph. I'm sure Bryson would snap it in half.

I do have the 40 gram shafts in my TSI1 Hybrid and Wood and i think the same about them.

If you swing slow, I'd definitely recommend it. I'd have gone 40g if it was available at the time.

However, there is only 10g difference between the two shafts you mentioned so I'm not sure how much difference it'll make.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have a regular playing partner who put a 40g replacing a 65g or something. Says very happy with the move. He is off 2-3. But was for years before the lighter shaft too, as I remind him.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the PXG 0211 drivers and the recommendation for me is a senior shaft, agreed, with either a 40g or 50g shaft. The nice man suggested 40g to give some extra club head speed, whilst swinging slowly ?, but I'm worried that could feel too light. He stated it wasn't whippy but again, that is the fear.

I've spoken to a couple of forum members about this but I thought I'd throw it out there for others to comment on.

Is anyone using a shaft at this weight? How do you find it?

Please, no replies about getting fitted. I can't get fitted for this but the club has a 60 day return offer so it is not an all or nothing situation.

The shaft in question is a Project X, Evenflow Riptide CB 40g or 50g

Morpeth GC is a PXG fitting centre, do they only do fittings for the latest models?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Morpeth GC is a PXG fitting centre, do they only do fittings for the latest models?
There is a fitting session in 3 weeks time there. I'm not quite sure if the offer will have finished by then or they wont offer fitting for that model but pxg said it wouldn't be possible. If it was an option I would definitely have booked and done it properly.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There is a fitting session in 3 weeks time there. I'm not quite sure if the offer will have finished by then or they wont offer fitting for that model but pxg said it wouldn't be possible. If it was an option I would definitely have booked and done it properly.

It's a crazy low price, I can see why you don't want to miss out on it. Could always order both options and send the one you like the least back?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have a 50gm Riptide in a Rogue head and none of the issues I have (pull) come from the shaft. It is certainly not wippy, nor does the ball balloon.

A better example is the one I used in the PXG thread. My mate, a 4hc, hits it miles with a 0211 fitted with a 50gm Riptide. He was fitted into his and has had no regrets in the year+ that he has been playing it. His stock bad shot is a push, that's on him, not the shaft.

Well worth a shot in my opinion.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
It is indeed a 40g shaft - diamana reg flex, Callaway Epic, suits me sir! Bratty's right for once! ?
I did check with the pro and he said, "Lighter shaft, faster swing speed! ?
It does happen every so often! ?
I say go for it, LT!

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been considering a lighter shaft. I just bought a Cobra ls, one reason is that I've been having trouble in the last year getting the ball up in the air....moved to 12 degree which has helped but still often get a low tee shot. I might just experiment with a lighter shaft.......

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not sure i could use a shaft that light. I've got 70g in all my woods and was going to try a heavier one but dropping a flex to stiff