Driver head glued on

oleinone

Visit site
Bought a used M2 driver a while ago. Happened on and bought a senior shaft last week. Unscrewed the locating bolt and the head won't come off. Whacked a couple of balls on the range and it didn't budge. Tried to retighten the bolt and it won't engage. It's clear that the head has been glued on. Any ideas or does it go in the bin?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Makes you wonder whether the bolt mechanism will function properly thereafter.
It won't matter. He has a new senior shaft which presumably has the required adaptor so at worst he would only need a new bolt which are 10 a penny.

If it has been glued then some gentle heat should shift it. Even if it is not glued and just stuck heat may help. Something to bear in mind; if the M2 is titanium and carbon then the bond will be epoxy and excess heat could break the bond between the face and crown, a wet towel wrapped around the heat can help with this.

oleinone

Visit site
Just to conclude the story. I've carried on playing with the M2 and yesterday the head came loose and I was able to separate it. It had been glued on. The bolt was broken at the point where it enters the shaft. The shaft is in the bin but the good news is that I will be able to fit the new shaft as soon as I can get hold of a new bolt. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I really don't think they are anything special,
I would take the old one along to your local engineers supply store, I am sure they would be able to sort you a repl;acement.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to conclude the story. I've carried on playing with the M2 and yesterday the head came loose and I was able to separate it. It had been glued on. The bolt was broken at the point where it enters the shaft. The shaft is in the bin but the good news is that I will be able to fit the new shaft as soon as I can get hold of a new bolt. Thanks for your thoughts.

Why is the shaft in the bin?

If the shaft is not broken it is very easy to remove the adapter and fit a new one. With the right kit it is also possible to remove the bolt.

When you buy an adapter it usually comes with a bolt.

You have a PM

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We're talking about buying a bolt, no?

We are talking about a high tensile bolt designed to take the 40lbs Torque rating that the wrench applies not just a steel bolt.

The other problem is getting one with the correct shoulder diameter and length before the thread and the correct head diameter, to fit inside the recess on the head.

Not exactly an 'off the shelf' item.