Anyone using a 40g driver shaft?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not driver but I had a hybrid with 50g shaft years ago, or maybe 55g. Found it horrendous, too light to have any control with. Then again it's probably completely different for driver since driver is a lot easier to hit nowadays so who knows. I guess lighter shaft should mean faster swing and more distance, provided you can still keep it on line.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went for the safe route in the end. Looking at my own clubs the shaft weights went from 63-70g. I felt the jump to 40g was too dramatic without trying it out first of all. 50g is a baby steps move.
Are the shafts regular or stiff?The 40g shaft is not whippy at all, contrary to what one might think.

Mandofred

Visit site
I might see if the pro shop will put in a lighter shaft for me to try. They put in several different ones for me to use when I was testing this driver. Then I can take it out to see how it works in "the real world".

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the PXG 0211 drivers and the recommendation for me is a senior shaft, agreed, with either a 40g or 50g shaft. The nice man suggested 40g to give some extra club head speed, whilst swinging slowly ?, but I'm worried that could feel too light. He stated it wasn't whippy but again, that is the fear.

I've spoken to a couple of forum members about this but I thought I'd throw it out there for others to comment on.

Is anyone using a shaft at this weight? How do you find it?

Please, no replies about getting fitted. I can't get fitted for this but the club has a 60 day return offer so it is not an all or nothing situation.

The shaft in question is a Project X, Evenflow Riptide CB 40g or 50g

Check the returns policy.
I mentioned this in passing earlier in the PXG thread, however I believe they offer 1 free shaft swap and postage etc within a few weeks or a month of it arriving.

They certainly did for me.

They might have changed the policy though mate. So don’t take this as gospel.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Senior ?

It would have been interesting to try one but unfortunately that was not possible.
Could you get them to tape one and try on the range.
Or try any club with a 40g shaft. I don't think you'll feel any noticeable difference, apart from striping one a lot further! ??

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
What's everyone's experience with these lighter shafts on spin?

I was playing a Rogue with a stiff stock (60g) shaft, but when trying a few potential new drivers on the launch monitor we discovered I was spinning it too much. I have switched to a 75g shaft and have brought down my spin numbers. Would a 40g shaft be likely to increase spin rates (which I accept may not be an issue for people who struggle to launch it).

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Project x are decent enough shafts so I think you could discount it being too flexible. There are reports out there that would suggest that lighter shafts do allow more clubhead speed in slower swing players and you’d definitely feel the clubhead more. Personally I’ve never gotten away with heavier feeling clubheads but then with what I’m trying to do in my swing now it would probably benefit me trying to get away for the over the top issues.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I know your swing, I've seen plenty of it! It's very short & quite slow. You normally hit it very straight, control doesn't seem to be a problem. Had you gone to a fitter I'm fairly sure that he would have advised you (as I did!) to go for the 40g shaft 1" longer than standard. Being a conservative kind of person (driving a Mercedes taxi at your age ?) you've gone for a more standard option. I don't suppose this will cost you many yards but I would have liked to see how you got on with that setup. With the 60 day offer you could have opted for a more standard configuration. However, I'm sure that what you're getting will improve your game. I can't wait to have a hit with it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know your swing, I've seen plenty of it! It's very short & quite slow. You normally hit it very straight, control doesn't seem to be a problem. Had you gone to a fitter I'm fairly sure that he would have advised you (as I did!) to go for the 40g shaft 1" longer than standard. Being a conservative kind of person (driving a Mercedes taxi at your age ?) you've gone for a more standard option. I don't suppose this will cost you many yards but I would have liked to see how you got on with that setup. With the 60 day offer you could have opted for a more standard configuration. However, I'm sure that what you're getting will improve your game. I can't wait to have a hit with it.
Yes, I bottled it ?.

I do however know a man who is prone to tinker with shafts, knows a nearby shaft fitter and so I can always tap their mind and experiment at a later date ?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, I bottled it ?.

I do however know a man who is prone to tinker with shafts, knows a nearby shaft fitter and so I can always tap their mind and experiment at a later date ?
You need one of those discs LT.
It says, printed in a circle,
". A round to it". ??
Thankyou,
I'll get my coat! ?

Mandofred

Visit site
When I went to play this morning, I asked the pro if he had anything I could try that was a lighter shaft. The only thing he had was a 50g Helium 3 wood shaft (about 1.5" shorter than my regular shaft).....I put it on and out I went. Nothing special at first. Back nine I tried hitting up at it.....bingo. Didn't work on my longer shaft, on this.....works just fine. Afterwards he said I could just buy it if I wanted for £60...done. Of course, this probably means it won't work now that I bought it. But overall....today was the most fairways I've hit in a long long time...and just as much distance as my longer shaft. Now I just need to put a mid-size grip on it....