Lesson learned about swingweight

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been experimenting with a light high flex shaft and was getting on with it fine.
I then opted to try one of these Bryson jumbo grips as well.
This felt lovely in my hands. However I was just leaving the face open at impact. My path was fine, I checked it and adjusted it .. but in the end right is where the ball was going.. no curvature.
I have the same light shaft just half an inch longer but with a std grip. So I inserted that and I am back to normal.

I did notice a distinct difference in feel, and to be honest I thought I was quite unreceptive to these things.
So I went off found an online calculator and put the raw numbers in.
Turns out my preferred grips are 66g and the jumbo is 22g .. equating to a huge swing weight difference.
So now I have decided to purchase a swingweight scale , some adjustable butt weights and I will get the club back to feeling like I can close it / release it … I am sure I will progress through to other clubs as well.

Has anyone gone through this ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Thats a biiiiig difference.....
It could also be the size of grip....too big a grip can make it more difficult to turn the club over and square the face
Think putters and the big grips - they take the wrist movement away.....

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats a biiiiig difference.....
It could also be the size of grip....too big a grip can make it more difficult to turn the club over and square the face
Think putters and the big grips - they take the wrist movement away.....
Yes I think 7-8 ish

D

Deleted member 1147

Thinker grips make it harder to turn the hands during the swing. I use slightly thicker ones as I have a tendency to get handsy

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thinker grips make it harder to turn the hands during the swing. I use slightly thicker ones as I have a tendency to get handsy
Yes that’s something that has always deterred me. But I wonder if it’s also related to how you feel the head during your swing.
I went to thicker grips on my wedges and that was a real benefit.
I did start using the mcc mid after an eBay purchase introduced me to them. I initially picked up the clippers b, not worried about swing weight and thought this feels nice.. and it was the very club in my bag.
I then updated everything and I liked all of them, but I could have just been loving the swingweight as well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Seem to remember, way back in the fog of my brain, that altering thickness impacts on the squaring the club face.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Swingweight not more about the balance point rather than total weight?

Also, watch out for fake grips on ebay. Cheap one may well be fake as I found out buying a plus 4 grip that certainly wasn't.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Measured all quietly with my new present.
D4 on std grip long shaft.
D2 on mcc mid AF long shaft
C9 on jumbo on 44” shaft
D2 Ping G 425 max 3w with mcc mid
D2 on rogue 5w with mcc mid

Last is my favourite club and I like the 3 wood .. so c9 has to get close to D2-3 I think.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Measured all my putters, I won’t post as it’s embarrassing that I have so many.
I have basically adjusted most with a grip, some are in original set up.
I like a mid ionic paddle/pistol with 2 wraps. I have a few with std grips and a few with fat grips.
I now need to correlate them with all the ones I mainly use the issue that made me put them down.
Some felt nice but didn’t suit my stroke .. face balance is best for me.
Some line up easily some just don’t…
So there are a few factors.
I will then adjust all to the same swingweight

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My opinion regarding swing-weight changes caused by installing a heavier/lighter grip are that, whilst the change is measurable on a swing-weight scale, the practical effect whilst making a golf swing is much less.

The reason why, is the fulcrum around where the weight is added...swingweight is measured around a fulcrum that is 14 inches from the butt of the club. When you change grip weight ALL of the weight change occurs on one side of this fulcrum....so this is readily measurable on a traditional 14” scale.

However...if you look in slow motion at how the head of a golf club moves, relative to the butt of the club during the swing, you will see the "pivot point" is in fact much closer to being right between the upper and lower hands....when you change a grip to one that is heavier or lighter, all of the weight change is pretty much evenly distributed either side of the hands thus having no effect on the perceived swing-weight of the club..

If swing-weight were measured around a six inch fulcrum you would see no change in swing-weight when changing to a heavier/lighter grip.

What the OP may be experiencing is a change due to the overall club weight changing....adding additional weights to the butt may potentially do two things...

1) it will further increase the overall cub weight
2) it will lighten the swing-weight...both measured AND perceived (because all of the weight will be added right at the butt end of the club)

although you might reach your desired aim of getting the swing-weight back to where you think it should be, the additional club weight may have a further detrimental effect.

Now...this is just my rambling opinion based on my own club building activities (I've been messing about on and off building my own clubs for the best part of 20 years now) and I wouldn't want to deter the OP from at least experimenting to try to improve matters.

However...swing-weight scales are expensive, so i will point the OP in the direction of http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWT.HTM. The calculator allows you to make a very good approximation of swing-weight based on the overall weight of the club and the balance point of the club.

Also on the website it covers the very scenario that the OP faces....see half way down this page... http://www.leaderboard.com/GLOSSARY_SWINGWEIGHT ...where the issues of a 14 inch swing-weight measurement are explainede and highlights the same issues with how the club rotates as I have done above (it is lost in the sands of time as to whether I came to my grip change swingweight independently, or if my thinking was influenced by this site...probably the latter in all honesty).

So by all means experiment...but save your money on a swingweight scale and use the online calculator I've linked to....as well as having a read of the info on the website...there is a mine of goof information there.

EDIT: Damn....too late (I've been thinking about my response for a couple of days now!!)...the OP has a nice new shiny toy...ah well....enjoy and I hope you solve your "problems".

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Turns out my preferred grips are 66g and the jumbo is 22g .. equating to a huge swing weight difference.

Has anyone gone through this ?
Are you sure that is not a typo adding that amount of lead tape to the butt end is probably going to negate the need for a jumbo grip

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you sure that is not a typo adding that amount of lead tape to the butt end is probably going to negate the need for a jumbo grip
That’s the grip weight difference from adoregolf grips but the actual swing weight difference isn’t that huge. C9 to D4 but I will try D1,2,3 and use a counter weight plug. Dropping weight out the head is not the direction I want to go. The shaft is around 38-42g from memory.
I was looking for a slightly heavier jumbo grip as well as an option..
I also did a few clubs and they are all D0 so that’s good. My 3 crossover is C9 and the 4 crossover was D1 but still had a sensor installed. I am happy with both but I only play the 3 crossover from the tee or perfect lies. The 4 is good off both but possibly a little too long for 2nd shots and short for tee shots to justify a permanent place in the bag for my course.
I only really take what I need and have reduced my clubs down.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tour lock starter kit arrived today.
I also found a 9 gram head weight and also received the lead tape.
So after some more investigation I have put 4grams of lead tape at the hosel screw side of the head and this has altered my swing weight but not how I expected so will double check and give it a trial when the weather sorts itself out.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finally managed to test fully and conclusion is
Swingweight with in a couple of points no affect.
Grip width is affecting closure rates and distance .. so those that said this, were correct.
Closure rate can be increased by dropping weight out of the head .. but some ball speed is lost.
Heel weights no impact
Set up can massively improve everything.. finding a go to physical set up and then putting the club 1-2” behind the ball can really change it up.
The 5.5 hzdus mid spin IM10 shaft feels stiffer in the tip than a grafalloy pro launch blue in ladies flex but it’s very close - weight difference is 5-7g.
Once I got to an improvised state my simulation rounds improved significantly 8/14 fairways hit and no big misses some just a bit longer than expected.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Head weight has a big impact, primarily on clubhead speed and hence ball speed.

Put simply, lighter head, faster clubhead speed, longer shot.
But there comes a limit and too light a clubhead will feel awful.

The difficulty is finding a balance between weight and feel that enables you to get the optimum speed and feel for your swing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Head weight has a big impact, primarily on clubhead speed and hence ball speed.

Put simply, lighter head, faster clubhead speed, longer shot.
But there comes a limit and too light a clubhead will feel awful.

The difficulty is finding a balance between weight and feel that enables you to get the optimum speed and feel for your swing.
I think the Callaway epic speed heads are quite light to distribute the mass. But the amount required to remove to get the closure rate did affect the ball speeds .. and I don’t want to give any of that back.
So the jumbo grip has been removed and a mcc +2 installed instead.
I’ll work on set up and then it should all be golden 🤞