Shaft stiffness

sjw

Visit site
So I've been wondering lately about the stiffness of my driver shaft and whether it should be upped. I currently have a normal flex. I'm going to go to the range tonight and have a look at my ball speed (TopTracer, so take it with a pinch of salt) but I know that last time I saw a ball speed of around 155 to 165 mph.

My swing has come on a lot since I bought the driver about a year ago, when I just bought 10.5 degree, regular as I figured that was a pretty "standard" setup.

I'm going to play with driver loft at the range tonight and see what difference that can make which I'm looking forward to.

Anyway, I digress. What sort of swing speed would be suitable for each driver flex, and is it worth getting a couple off ebay to try? I could go to the fitters but I don't want to shell out for a brand new driver - would just be looking at building on what I have.

D

Deleted member 1147

Over the years I've been told a few times that the longest shaft should be the stiffest in the bag. So you'd expect driver to be stiffer than your irons - what do you have in them?

You also need to consider your ball flight, tempo and speed. These could lead to different stiffness, kick point and shaft design.

In other words it's impossible to advise without all the knowledge/details about your driving.

sjw

Visit site
Over the years I've been told a few times that the longest shaft should be the stiffest in the bag. So you'd expect driver to be stiffer than your irons - what do you have in them?

You also need to consider your ball flight, tempo and speed. These could lead to different stiffness, kick point and shaft design.

In other words it's impossible to advise without all the knowledge/details about your driving.
My irons are a regular, and to be honest I have no problem with them. My iron swing has definitely improved so much as well, but I've never questioned the shaft in them, and I haven't even had them a year so wouldn't be want to be paying to swap them anyway.

It makes sense to me that the longest shaft should be stiffer as well. I'm not sure why I started wondering about it, but when I can see a shaft for £50 or so on eBay with the right adapter for my driver, I thought it might be worth a go to give one a shot to see if I get that little bit more consistency out of it.

D

Deleted member 1147

My irons are a regular, and to be honest I have no problem with them. My iron swing has definitely improved so much as well, but I've never questioned the shaft in them, and I haven't even had them a year so wouldn't be want to be paying to swap them anyway.

It makes sense to me that the longest shaft should be stiffer as well. I'm not sure why I started wondering about it, but when I can see a shaft for £50 or so on eBay with the right adapter for my driver, I thought it might be worth a go to give one a shot to see if I get that little bit more consistency out of it.

sjw

Visit site
Seems there is a lot to it! The line that stood out to me was "if your shots are ballooning, try a stiffer shaft". While I'm aware that I might be reading what I want to read, I do often find that I can absolutely crunch the ball but it still flies as if I've skied it. However, the extra-high shots are the reason I'm trying the delofting of my driver tonight. I think with the shaft, I should ask at the fitter while I'm there.

D

Deleted member 1147

Seems there is a lot to it! The line that stood out to me was "if your shots are ballooning, try a stiffer shaft". While I'm aware that I might be reading what I want to read, I do often find that I can absolutely crunch the ball but it still flies as if I've skied it. However, the extra-high shots are the reason I'm trying the delofting of my driver tonight. I think with the shaft, I should ask at the fitter while I'm there.
Also, if your drives are ballooning you could look at a driver with a mid-kick point.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If it’s any help I have a fairly average swing speed, but found that I was way more consistent with a stiff shaft in my driver and hybrid. My irons are regular.

It’s definitely worth trying a different shaft to see if it works for you.

D

Deleted member 1147

Also adding weight can help improve accuracy and driving quality.

What weight do you have in the shaft? I have 70g which is at the heavy end.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unlike irons there is no standard for what each flex means in a grahite shaft. I play regular in my driver and stiff in my 3 wood but they 'feel' the same to me.

To me rather than ball speed it is best to start with swing speed when it comes to shaft flex.

If you are over 100 you should definitely try a stiffer shaft.

As per others kick point and weight are also factors.

D

Deleted member 1147

to give an idea of how mixed up you can go, I have:
- lightweight, x stiff in my irons
- stiff, heavy, mid-kick point in my driver

There’s no quick and easy answer. Best to see a pro or get a CF.

The OEMs all go to clubs and offer free, no obligation to buy, fittings. May be worth seeing what a fitter suggests.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it’s any help I have a fairly average swing speed, but found that I was way more consistent with a stiff shaft in my driver and hybrid. My irons are regular.

It’s definitely worth trying a different shaft to see if it works for you.
If your swing is consistent, ie, swing speed, direction of club head at impact etc, your dispersion will be better with a stiffer shaft. However, with a stiffer shaft combined with a slower swing speed I think the general rule is that your distance will not be as far as it would be with a regular or more flexible shaft. Like others have said, only way to find out is with trialling a multitude of different shafts or a proper fitting on a launch monitor.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
So I've been wondering lately about the stiffness of my driver shaft and whether it should be upped. I currently have a normal flex. I'm going to go to the range tonight and have a look at my ball speed (TopTracer, so take it with a pinch of salt) but I know that last time I saw a ball speed of around 155 to 165 mph.

My swing has come on a lot since I bought the driver about a year ago, when I just bought 10.5 degree, regular as I figured that was a pretty "standard" setup.

I'm going to play with driver loft at the range tonight and see what difference that can make which I'm looking forward to.

Anyway, I digress. What sort of swing speed would be suitable for each driver flex, and is it worth getting a couple off ebay to try? I could go to the fitters but I don't want to shell out for a brand new driver - would just be looking at building on what I have.
I’d ask yourself if there’s anything wrong with the way you hit your driver presently. If you find an old Rick shields video, he did one where he hid regular, stiff and x-stiff and there was very little difference for him. This may save you until you’re due a new driver. Otherwise, I’d get fitted for one as there‘s tons of options out there. Mine is stiff with mid flex at the kick point as an example.

sjw

Visit site
So I asked in the shop and they said that if I go during a quiet period, they'll spend 10-15 mins with me to see if my current shaft is suitable, then I could book a fitting if the answer is no. I have a PXG driver though, and they don't stock shafts for that, but it could be an idea to just try some different ones even if it's to get an idea of spec.

Anyway, I did play around with delofting my driver; I set it to 9 degrees and I actually really liked it. I found it suited my eye better at address (the face now sits more closed, more parallel to target) and I didn't lose quite as many right as I have been lately. I turned it back to 10.5 and they started fading a bit more/getting taken by the wind. More spin?

Anyway, I was playing long drive at Toptracer and I think I'll stick with the 9 degrees for now... maybe the fitting can wait.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927-203626_Toptracer Range.png
    Screenshot_20230927-203626_Toptracer Range.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 15

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I asked in the shop and they said that if I go during a quiet period, they'll spend 10-15 mins with me to see if my current shaft is suitable, then I could book a fitting if the answer is no. I have a PXG driver though, and they don't stock shafts for that, but it could be an idea to just try some different ones even if it's to get an idea of spec.

Anyway, I did play around with delofting my driver; I set it to 9 degrees and I actually really liked it. I found it suited my eye better at address (the face now sits more closed, more parallel to target) and I didn't lose quite as many right as I have been lately. I turned it back to 10.5 and they started fading a bit more/getting taken by the wind. More spin?

Anyway, I was playing long drive at Toptracer and I think I'll stick with the 9 degrees for now... maybe the fitting can wait.

When looking for different shafts I am pretty sure PXG use the same adapter as PING

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Likely hood is if your getting that kind of distance and spinning it alot you could benefit from a lower loft driver.
10.5 goes no where for me.
I'm not a crazy fast swinger but get much more success from lower lofts. flatter ball flight and much increased roll. I do like to tee the ball high and hit up on it.

sjw

Visit site
When looking for different shafts I am pretty sure PXG use the same adapter as PING
Thanks, I'll investigate. Funnily enough at the range I couldn't get the head of the driver off, it was stuck. All the things I found online talked about Ping drivers doing the same, I tried the suggestions and they worked, so maybe you're right! 😂

sjw

Visit site
Likely hood is if your getting that kind of distance and spinning it alot you could benefit from a lower loft driver.
10.5 goes no where for me.
I'm not a crazy fast swinger but get much more success from lower lofts. flatter ball flight and much increased roll. I do like to tee the ball high and hit up on it.
I've never played with it before and I always assumed that I was not swinging hard enough, but I thought I'd give it a go. I was swinging really well yesterday, don't normally get these distances, but by the end of the session I was getting 165ttmph (Top Tracer miles per hour) ball speed and a peak height of about 100 feet, which is not far off what I'd get with a 10.5. As I said, I was starting to hit them almost too high when I went back to 10.5 (especially considering the wind yesterday).