Ping Alta CB senior shaft vs regular?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was up at the range this morning and had a potter round the shop. A G425 5 hybrid caught my eye, an absolute bargain at £125 new. The only thing that put me off was that it was in a Senior flex.

I've currently got a G425 3 hybrid (Regular flex) which I hit quite well (sometimes). When I look at the specs for both shafts, they are both 70g. This might be a stupid question, but if both are Alta CB 70g, will there be any difference in how they behave?

Incidentally have Ping stopped using "Senior" shafts? When I look on their website, the range is Soft Regular, Regular, Stiff and X-Stiff.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are a senior aren't you? What's the worst that can happen?

I'd imagine it's definitely more bendy even if it's the same weight. And describing a shaft as 'senior' is probably deemed offensive nowadays, hence the change to 'soft regular'. Or possibly because it was limiting sales - a middle-aged chap who was fitted into a 'senior' shaft might have flat out refused to buy one because of the name!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was up at the range this morning and had a potter round the shop. A G425 5 hybrid caught my eye, an absolute bargain at £125 new. The only thing that put me off was that it was in a Senior flex.

I've currently got a G425 3 hybrid (Regular flex) which I hit quite well (sometimes). When I look at the specs for both shafts, they are both 70g. This might be a stupid question, but if both are Alta CB 70g, will there be any difference in how they behave?

Incidentally have Ping stopped using "Senior" shafts? When I look on their website, the range is Soft Regular, Regular, Stiff and X-Stiff.
Won’t be to different probably just a bit softer in the tip to help a slower swing speed get the ball airborne.

at that price you will get your money back if you don’t like it, or just swap the shaft off eBay and sell the SR one.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

A soft regular is probably the same as a senior shaft.

D-S

Visit site

As it happens my wife had a 425 hybrid with a SR shaft, I have one with a reg - I tried them both alongside each other and frankly I couldn’t tell any difference - for info, I play off 5 with a slowish swing speed so I would guess that neither is ‘wrong’ for me.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks guys. Looking at the forecast, I can’t see golf being on this weekend, so I’ll pop up to the range and see if they will let me have a hit with it.

Tbh, even if they don’t , I’ll buy it (if it’s still there). They’ve got a mad offer on, if you spend more than £100, you get £45 worth of vouchers for the range, so effectively it’s only going to cost me £80. No brainer.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys. Looking at the forecast, I can’t see golf being on this weekend, so I’ll pop up to the range and see if they will let me have a hit with it.

Tbh, even if they don’t , I’ll buy it (if it’s still there). They’ve got a mad offer on, if you spend more than £100, you get £45 worth of vouchers for the range, so effectively it’s only going to cost me £80. No brainer.

Parklands?
For the range vouchers I mean

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I reckon Ping Alta shafts play on the soft side of the spectrum.
I Have got both a stiff and a regular for my 425 3 wood and the stiff is what I prefer despite having what would be considered a senior swing speed.

I played A flex and ladies shafts for several years when I first started because I had no idea of the difference. May well have accounted for some of the distances I used to get