Ping fairway shafts

Mandofred

Visit site
Got an itch that needs to be scratched.....looking at buying an "old" G425 9 wood from Snainton. Since I have a tendency not to bother with fittings.....I was likely to just buy without trying. Likely just going to go with a stock Alta 65 CB Slate in Regular since I am not exactly King Kong with my swing. I also tend to not hit a high ball, so most of the other choices seem to be low or mid height shafts. Other choices are
Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70
Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 80
Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75
Ping Tour 65
Ping Tour 75

Anybody have anything against the stock Alta Slate?

Teebs

Visit site
Yeah, I despise the shaft but it's a very personal hatred.
Very much each to their own on shafts though. I have tried the G425 & G430 with the Alta shaft and both useless for me (Ping Tour and Tensei Orange much better)..

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It definitely felt softer than the others in the same flex and similar weight
Launched more or less the same as the others for me..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I had my fitting the choice was between the Tensei orange in regular (which is what I went with) and the Alta 65 in stiff.
I do not have a fast swing and was surprised about the Ping in stiff but realised they play on the soft side.
I subsequently bought the stiff Alta secondhand on Ebay and sold the Tensei as I found in actual use it needed a 'good' swing all the time

Note if you are looking for shaft chooice on the Ping website they are not always available with all the G425s and the fitter did not carry them all anyway.

I have also bought the Alta in reg off ebay for winter use but to be honest I cannot see much difference to the stiff.

Mandofred

Visit site
When I had my fitting the choice was between the Tensei orange in regular (which is what I went with) and the Alta 65 in stiff.
I do not have a fast swing and was surprised about the Ping in stiff but realised they play on the soft side.
I subsequently bought the stiff Alta secondhand on Ebay and sold the Tensei as I found in actual use it needed a 'good' swing all the time

Note if you are looking for shaft chooice on the Ping website they are not always available with all the G425s and the fitter did not carry them all anyway.

I have also bought the Alta in reg off ebay for winter use but to be honest I cannot see much difference to the stiff.
As per the original post.....these were the choices from the Snainton web site. 6 shaft choices. Might just go in before playing tomorrow and see what the pro thinks.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the Alta in Stiff is fine for me.
I am 5.5 in my irons and more or less right in the middle of stiff and Reg.
but what we play is of no use to you really.
you need to get the one that suits you.
but in my humble opinion it’s a very good shaft.