New irons….Should I expect them to perform straight away?

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Went and got fitted for some new Ping i525 irons and came away with quite a different set up than I was used to:
old set up were regular KBS tour 90 shafts in some i210s.
new irons are i525 with Alta cb stiff soft stepped twice…
anyway took them out today and was very disappointed with the 4 iron….everything up to the 7 iron were fine with no major issues…..will it take a while for me to get used to the new ones or should I expect performance from the get go? I was hitting the old set up great…..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely if they're fitted they should be perfect for you and therefore take no adjustment time at all?

That was the case for mine but then they were pretty much the exact same spec as the ones I have previously, so I dunno.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, as they are fitted for you, no getting used to them needed - you get from the off what they are going to give.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hoe does one arrive at soft stepping irons twice?

Do they have soft stepped irons there to try?
And I too thought they should be good from the get go....

Nothing to try but he said that soft stepped twice would play more like a regular shaft but want the stiff for the weight. I figured that he should know what he was talking about so went with it.

Maybe I was just a bit off on my timing so will get unit tomorrow to see if I can sort it....

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What was lacking performance wise..?
i525 are a different construction to i210, the lofts are different and coming from steel to graphite you may need a few games to get the timing right.

D

Deleted member 15344

Fair point...if they weren't a bit different then there but be no gain....or loss...🤷‍♀️

You might get some small gains from sharper grooves as an example

But if your new set is no different than old set then results should be similar

when I last changed my irons it was quite a difference

I went from TaylorMade TPMC - I inch longer and 2 degrees flatter in DG Stiff shafts to Mizuno MP18s standard length and 1 degree flatter Project X LZ shafts

It took me I reckon a good 2 months to really get comfortable with them

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I went the opposite way to you.
I had Ping i500's fitted with Ping AWT 2.0 shafts, I changed to Ping i210's fitted with Dynamic Gold 105 shafts, they are superb.

You should be finding the i525's a little longer distance wise? (Mine we're)

Regarding the fitting.
Unless you are very lucky, it will probably you a few weeks / couple of months to fine tune them.
From memory your new irons will have a stronger loft? Probably slightly different offset
I've never heard of Alta cb stiff soft stepped twice shafts though.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went the opposite way to you.
I had Ping i500's fitted with Ping AWT 2.0 shafts, I changed to Ping i210's fitted with Dynamic Gold 105 shafts, they are superb.

You should be finding the i525's a little longer distance wise? (Mine we're)

Regarding the fitting.
Unless you are very lucky, it will probably you a few weeks / couple of months to fine tune them.
From memory your new irons will have a stronger loft? Probably slightly different offset
I've never heard of Alta cb stiff soft stepped twice shafts though.
Obviously will persevere with them. He said pop back in a month or so for a tliitle review and maybe some fine tuning and yes I think its just a matter of getting the timing right with the new shafts....
Never had a problem getting the ball in the air so the decrease lofts seemed fine and borne out on the monitor....but they do spin a lot...given where my pitch mark was and the ball's final position....

I have heard of soft stepping but didn't really get on my radar till now. But it is defo a thing as the Ping consignment sheet said soft stepped twice so they knew what to do....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And I too thought they should be good from the get go....

Nothing to try but he said that soft stepped twice would play more like a regular shaft but want the stiff for the weight. I figured that he should know what he was talking about so went with it.

Maybe I was just a bit off on my timing so will get unit tomorrow to see if I can sort it....

Never really thought about that. I know driver shafts come in different weights and flexes. I assumed irons would too.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It took me a few weeks to really get on with my new irons last year, despite using the same fitter who had done the previous set. I think it’s ambitious to expect a new set to feel like old friends straight away, fitted or otherwise.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
In my limited experience, I’d say you need to give them a bit of time, it’s like anything new, give it time and a few good shots and Bobs your uncle 😀👍🏻

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A fitter I used to use always said that it would take several months to really bed an iron in...even after a fitting.
Can several be 100+ months?

Bought a set of Maxfli International irons in 1977 and won the club chahpionship with them in 1991.

Bought a set of Ping i10 irons in 2008 and won the club championship with them in 2019. (Runner up with them this year)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A fitter I used to use always said that it would take several months to really bed an iron in...even after a fitting.
Just playing devil's advocate here... but could it be that he's said this because there's an element of guesswork to the fittings, and given enough months you could basically get used to any irons, be they fitted or not??