G430 irons

Yogidog1

Visit site
Hi all,weather not been great to say the least,went for a custom fit for the Ping G430 irons ,guy suggested to get irons with the new degrees PW is 41 degrees then there is a 45.5,50 and a 54 degree which I think would be the sand wedge ?should I go with all the wedges or can I leave a wedge out ? as i normally only have used a PW and a SW,thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The PW is really an 8 iron, so best to go for the GW1 and GW2.
At the other end, though probably no need to get anything below the 7i depending on what hybrids lofts you are playing.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi all,weather not been great to say the least,went for a custom fit for the Ping G430 irons ,guy suggested to get irons with the new degrees PW is 41 degrees then there is a 45.5,50 and a 54 degree which I think would be the sand wedge ?should I go with all the wedges or can I leave a wedge out ? as i normally only have used a PW and a SW,thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.
That'll be the power spec. Possibly a ploy to sell you another wedge. Personally I would stick with standard. Might be better resale too.
Where was the fitting?

Most people would benefit from something more lofted than 54. I like 58 as a sand/lob wedge.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
41 is more like a 9 iron these days.
An iron set beginning at 7 is just wrong!
Not really. Its still a set of 7 clubs. 7i-SW.
The only change is that the two longer clubs are now hybrids instead of what would have been a 3i and a 4i.
H1,H2,7i,8i,9i,PW,GW1,GW2,SW is really the modern 9 club set. The add putter, driver, fairway or two, or if you are 5 or below, a 60deg.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not really. Its still a set of 7 clubs. 7i-SW.
The only change is that the two longer clubs are now hybrids instead of what would have been a 3i and a 4i.
H1,H2,7i,8i,9i,PW,GW1,GW2,SW is really the modern 9 club set. The add putter, driver, fairway or two, or if you are 5 or below, a 60deg.
Agree to disagree, I don't play with anyone with a set like that.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree to disagree, I don't play with anyone with a set like that.
There are probably more around still with H1,H2,6i,7i,8i,9i,PW,GW,SW which is effectively the same thing with PWs being 43/44° over the last decade, but recently moving lower meaning two GWs are need to fill the span to a SW. So still a lot of this in circulation. Its still a two hybrids plus 7 irons set, in place of the classic 9 irons set. 2+7 is almost ubiquitous. Though admittedly there is a very recent tendency for a 7w+ one hybrid+7 irons which changes it slightly. It was always a good combination, but took pros playing 7w to remove the stigma associated with them.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's a SW these days?
I have a 54 and 58, can use either out of bunkers. Prefer the 58 as most of our greenside bunkers have 4 or 5 foot faces.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What's a SW these days?
I have a 54 and 58, can use either out of bunkers. Prefer the 58 as most of our greenside bunkers have 4 or 5 foot faces.
Anything around those lofts. According to personal preference, the type of sand in your bunkers, etc.
Like anything 8°-12° is a driver. Its to the individual.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A pitching wedge used to be 50° to 52° and a sand iron 56° to 58°.

They still are just that. But they are given different names now.

As I said on another thread, a set of ten irons from 18° to 56° is a 2-SW set.
But they give them different numbers and names now, which has not helped anyone who buys golf clubs.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A pitching wedge used to be 50° to 52° and a sand iron 56° to 58°.

They still are just that. But they are given different names now.

As I said on another thread, a set of ten irons from 18° to 56° is a 2-SW set.
But they give them different numbers and names now, which has not helped anyone who buys golf clubs.

Not quite though, gaps are now 3 degrees in the "long" irons and 5 degrees in the "short" irons/wedges.
I assume this has something to do with the hot faces and nothing to do with the desire to have as strong a 6 or 7 iron as possible so it looks good in fittings....

RichA

Visit site
As far as super game improvement irons go, the lofts on these are pretty sensible.

IMG_3215.jpeg

I've just got one, a 6-iron, in my blended bag and it's really nice. If I was in the market for a full set of GI irons they'd be top of my list. I'm probably going to get the 5i fairly soon.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Not quite though, gaps are now 3 degrees in the "long" irons and 5 degrees in the "short" irons/wedges.
I assume this has something to do with the hot faces and nothing to do with the desire to have as strong a 6 or 7 iron as possible so it looks good in fittings....
I got the club pro to measure the lofts of these early 1960s clubs on his gadget.

SDC11306.JPG
7 - 39°
8 - 44°
9- 49°
10W - 54°

There were 5° gaps in the short irons 60 years ago.
OK, not all sets back then were like this, but 5° gaps are not necessarily something new.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
As far as super game improvement irons go, the lofts on these are pretty sensible.

View attachment 50306

I've just got one, a 6-iron, in my blended bag and it's really nice. If I was in the market for a full set of GI irons they'd be top of my list. I'm probably going to get the 5i fairly soon.
Very sensible range of lofts.
I just think that there is no need to call something a Gap Wedge. It should be a pitching wedge and the numbers shifted back by 1.

Who created the "Gap" that needs filling with another club?
Don't create the gap and then it doesn't need another club to fill it. :unsure:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Don’t think of the clubs as irons and wedges. Despite what they are called.
Think of the wedges as 10 and 11 irons.

You will need them otherwise you will have too big of a gap.

And ignore the people who turn every iron thread into a discussion about what lofts and iron sets used to be, they derail them all the same way.

Yogidog1

Visit site
That'll be the power spec. Possibly a ploy to sell you another wedge. Personally I would stick with standard. Might be better resale too.
Where was the fitting?

Most people would benefit from something more lofted than 54. I like 58 as a sand/lob wedge.
Hi thanks for reply ,Clarke’s superstore@Rainford

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
You need to be mindful of the bounce too. The 54° is 14° bounce which is quite high.
Depending what kind of courses you regularly play on, 14° could be too much. "If you play on course with lush conditions and fluffy sand, a higher bounce will benefit you most (10 – 14 degree bounce angle). If you play on tight fairways and hard conditions, low bounce wedges are better ( 0 -10 degree bounce angle)" is the general thought, but some people don't have a problem with it, so it's not a universal principle.
I found 14° far too much for me and always struggled out of bunkers. Got an 8° SW and 10° LW and I'm not out of bunkers so much better.
So depending on the courses you play, maybe stick with the 41° wedge, and then get the 45.5° bent to 46, the 50° bent to 51° and then get a 56° wedge from any other brand that suits you with lower bounce than 14°, or stick with their offer, but still get the 54° bent to 55°.
Also, it's no longer about PW and SW, because lofts are used so differently across OEMs nowadays. If you ignore the number and look at the lofts, logic would say you need a set of irons with approx 4° to 6° between each one. So if that means getting 5 clubs featuring a "W" don't worry about it!