A Swing Weight question for the competent!

Billywhiz69

Visit site
Hey all, I'm like noob new here so unsure if this is in the correct section or not sorry....

I have a question about swing weights as I'm attempting to replace the shafts in my Ben Hogan Icon black irons myself. Basically, I bought them like new for a great price but the KBS Tour 90 S shafts are too soft for my swing speed. I play off 6.1 so I'm an OK player and my 7 iron club head speed is moderate at 88-92mph. The KBS fitting calculator suggests I needed the KBS $ Taper 120 S or possibly 125 S+ shafts, so I managed to source a brand new pulled set of 4-PW $ Taper 120 S for a bargain. I think a 30gram increase in safer than the 35g with the S+.

Now, a quick look online tells me that the standard swing weight for these should be D2(4-9) - D3(PW) but with the standard length shafts and standard Lamkin Crossline grips I'm having an issue getting the desired swing weights as suggested. It ranges from D0, D1 and only the 6i is D2 naturally. I have ordered some brass swing weights 2g, 4g, 6g and 8g to help but what I really want to know is, by putting a 2g weight in the 7i and an 8g weight in the PW, will the heads feel that much heavier in comparison?

Apart from grip weight, what else can I do?

Apologies for how long winded this was 😬

Cheers Matt.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You wont notice much of a difference if you have to put an 8g weight in one club and a 2g weight in the other...after all, you are balancing the swingweights so all clubs feel the same. However...whether you personally can tell the difference between D0 and D2 when you swing a club only you will know....many folks are utterly insensitive to swingweight changes of a couple of points.

However...if you try to alter swingweight by putting on a lighter (or heavier) grip I guarantee that, whilst you might achieve a different swingweight as measured on a traditional swingweight scale, you will NOT notice one iota of difference when you swing the club.

The first five lines of the post below explains my reasoning (as does the second link further down in the same post).

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I rebuilt a set of Mizuno MP5s recently with the aim of getting them at D2 but they came out at D7. I believe the reason for this was the head were too heavy for the extremely lightweight shafts I used, and the only way to reduce the SW would have been to remove weight from the head.

I learnt two things from this exercise.

(i) The slightest change in the make-up of the club, head weight, grip weight, shaft length etc had the SW jumping around all over and getting all the clubs the same was quite challenging.

(ii) These came out at D7 and play very well. I have two other sets at the moment. The JPX 923 Tour are D2 and the Mizuno Pro 221 are at D7, I can't feel any difference between them in terms of weight or feel when swinging them.

Billywhiz69

Visit site
You wont notice much of a difference if you have to put an 8g weight in one club and a 2g weight in the other...after all, you are balancing the swingweights so all clubs feel the same. However...whether you personally can tell the difference between D0 and D2 when you swing a club only you will know....many folks are utterly insensitive to swingweight changes of a couple of points.

However...if you try to alter swingweight by putting on a lighter (or heavier) grip I guarantee that, whilst you might achieve a different swingweight as measured on a traditional swingweight scale, you will NOT notice one iota of difference when you swing the club.

The first five lines of the post below explains my reasoning (as does the second link further down in the same post).

Thanks for that Nick.

I read somewhere that 9g is roughly 1 swing weight on the scale so as you say 8g should be that noticeable. To be honest I have only put together the 6i (D2 - 1.6) and 8i (D1 - 1.3) so far as they were the closest to D2. I took them on the range today and they felt lovely, quite noticeable with the extra 30g in shaft weight but a much nicer sturdier feel going from the Tour 90 S to the $ Taper 120 S. No loss in ball speed, if anything a couple mph more and a much tighter dispersion. I think with a little fettling of added swing weights in the head they will be pretty close to what I want.

Cheers again 👍🏼