My Swing Speed Journey

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Really enjoying the updates from everyone!

I'm probably a couple of weeks away from my wrist being back to normal, still playing golf but just not going through the extremes of speed training again, yet. Will be interesting to see where my speed is but I'm still seeing some good results on the course.

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
I recently purchased the PRGR and Relentless speed stick from Amazon.

I've found the PRGR to be really accurate when using my driver (with or without a ball), but the club speed readings are all over the place with the speed stick. Has anyone else found the same? I position the PRGR a few inches off the ground (on the box).

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
I recently purchased the PRGR and Relentless speed stick from Amazon.

I've found the PRGR to be really accurate when using my driver (with or without a ball), but the club speed readings are all over the place with the speed stick. Has anyone else found the same? I position the PRGR a few inches off the ground (on the box).

I have the PRGR and Relentless stick and initially noticed the readings were very variable. Play around with the position of the PRGR until you find consistentcy and then ensure it's in the same spot every time, and that you're setting up and swinging in the same position also. I have a range mat on my patio for speed training so it's pretty easy for me to maintain the exact positions as I just ensure the mat is lined up in the same place and the PRGR is in the same spot on one of the slabs.

Not sure if it would make any difference but I use a small tripod with mine.

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
I have the PRGR and Relentless stick and initially noticed the readings were very variable. Play around with the position of the PRGR until you find consistentcy and then ensure it's in the same spot every time, and that you're setting up and swinging in the same position also. I have a range mat on my patio for speed training so it's pretty easy for me to maintain the exact positions as I just ensure the mat is lined up in the same place and the PRGR is in the same spot on one of the slabs.

Not sure if it would make any difference but I use a small tripod with mine.
Thanks. Out of interest, how high do you have it set on the tripod? How far behind do you position it?

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks. Out of interest, how high do you have it set on the tripod? How far behind do you position it?

I've attached a picture of the tripod I got from Amazon. I've got my PRGR about 1.2m behind on the line I'm swinging.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619-110921.png
    Screenshot_20240619-110921.png
    302.2 KB · Views: 6

Oggie41

Club Champion
Visit site
I've attached a picture of the tripod I got from Amazon. I've got my PRGR about 1.2m behind on the line I'm swinging.
I've just tried elevating mine a bit higher (finally found a use for my old DVD cases!) so its 10cm off the ground and its worked much better with the speed stick, thanks for your help (y)

HPIMG

Visit site
I've just tried elevating mine a bit higher (finally found a use for my old DVD cases!) so its 10cm off the ground and its worked much better with the speed stick, thanks for your help (y)
I just sit mine on the box it comes in and find that works great.

cunnini

Visit site
got another session in at lunchtime at the range with TheStack - got a new fastest on one weight whilst stepping, but only really starting to get doing this regularly again after a few niggling injuries (caused by her indoors making me do too much decorating/tip runs/heavy stuff moving etc!)

Need to get back to twice a week from next week

Springveldt

Visit site
Got the speed sticks out last night for the first time in a while and predictably the speeds were down. Only managed to get the green to 126mph with what felt like swinging out my shoes, maximum effort, no chance of even making contact with a ball swing.

Maybe my next step is to book a lesson with someone that has force plates, I think Andy Paisley over in Hexham has them. Might be worth going there just to see if I can make some changes to swing faster.

cunnini

Visit site
i've not been dedicated enough to thee Stack over recent few months due to niggly injuries, but last night at the range got a session in. I've been focussing on technique with driver also. I always wrap up with a few driver swings with ball, and these were slightly below (2mph) were i was previously, however ball speed was up - as was distance.

should be able to get back to 2 sessions a week from here, so hoping to keep things moving gradually upwards

crdb

Visit site
i've not been dedicated enough to thee Stack over recent few months due to niggly injuries, but last night at the range got a session in. I've been focussing on technique with driver also. I always wrap up with a few driver swings with ball, and these were slightly below (2mph) were i was previously, however ball speed was up - as was distance.

should be able to get back to 2 sessions a week from here, so hoping to keep things moving gradually upwards
What are you using to measure swing speed? Interested to see how my numbers match up with my distances

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Anyone used the PRGR when there's little or no daylight and if so how does it affect the readings?
It was dark this evening but I've got a PIR light at the side of the garage and tried to do my speed training there. Readings were a good bit down on normal so I'm thinking the PRGR maybe isn't as effective as it is in daylight.

hambugerpete

Visit site
Anyone used the PRGR when there's little or no daylight and if so how does it affect the readings?
It was dark this evening but I've got a PIR light at the side of the garage and tried to do my speed training there. Readings were a good bit down on normal so I'm thinking the PRGR maybe isn't as effective as it is in daylight.
Isnt it a radar ? Id have thought not affected by light conditions

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I was primarily using mine in the evening in my garden with lights on and it was reading fine.

Annoyingly I'm still struggling with the wrist injury - I'm going to start doing some exercises to try and strengthen the area as it's almost impossible to rest it due to the position of it, it's on the ulnar side of my wrist.

I'm missing the speed training, but luckily it feels like I've retained some of the speed that I built up, I'm regularly hitting some good 240-260 yard drives.

PaulMdj

Visit site
After 6 months off from using The Stack I’ve began the Neural Drive programm today, only lost 2mph on the baseline test, so will be interested on how this goes.

cunnini

Visit site
ive taken time off from the Stack as i had a few injuries (mainly not from golf). Am spending 3 months on strength/mobility/fitness with a view of restarting Stack in mid-winter.

I'd say i've retained 85%/95% of speed gains, but am looking forward to restarting training it in a few months

stevied

Visit site
@Arthur Wedge

I'm still struggling with tennis elbow so haven't done any training all summer but have done other work around flexibility. Current plan is to take the winter off golf and hopefully get back to full fitness and start up again in the spring. Even in the short time I did it , I saw improvement, which to be fair hasn't gone away! Really hoping I can go full tilt at it next year.