My Swing Speed Journey

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I've decided to put this thread together to share my journey as I try to increase my swing speed.

Putting it online should also provide an element of accountability for myself too.

I've previously borrowed a set of Superspeed sticks and got on quite well with them but had to give them back and my progress stalled after that.

I've decided to start the process again, along with getting back into the gym where I'll be doing 2 or 3 30 minute, full body workouts per week.

After looking around and reading some reviews I've opted to buy the Rypstick. This is an all in one unit at 45" that has three weights that you utilise.

20231126-200646.jpg

It also has a counterbalanced weight to aid with releasing the club.

20231126-200656.jpg

And it came with a lovely little sock cover:

20231126-200554.jpg

I also bought the PRGR so I am able to monitor my clubhead speed and keep a proper record of my progress.

Their is a free to download app that Rypstick provide and within this you follow the various programs, all with embedded video tutorials, and record your progress. It also lets you know when you should rest and when your next session should be done.

Screenshot-20231126-182651-Rypstick.jpg

On Saturday I started the process by getting a baseline reading, using my own driver. After a warm up, where I was seeing readings of around 85-90mph, I made 5 swings at maximum effort and was pleasantly surprised to get an average of 104mph.

Following my round today I did my first proper session, which involved switching between dominant and non dominant swings, using no weights all the way up to 3 weights. The program was very easy to follow and the app is super easy to use. Following the session I had another 5 swings at full rip and averaged 106mph.

My next session is in 2 days and I'm excited to see where this could lead.

Albo

Visit site
Good luck with it!
I must admit I was worried when you said 85-90, then up to 104 that it was some sort of miss reading, but given your next session was at 106 is great.

Keep it up and let us know how you get on!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Good luck with it!
I must admit I was worried when you said 85-90, then up to 104 that it was some sort of miss reading, but given your next session was at 106 is great.

Keep it up and let us know how you get on!
Thank you.

The 85-90 swings felt like ones I would make on the course, so I'm hoping to see the maximum increase, thus increasing my 'normal' swings.

Albo

Visit site
Yeah I know what you mean, I’ve been speed training a while, previous numbers were low to mid 90s, now my ‘playing speed’ I guess is somewhere around 99-100, I can ramp it to a max of 103-104, but don’t feel confident taking that swing out on course.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As your swing speed is higher than mine was, your handicap is 12-13 shots higher than my last handicap.
I would suggest you don't persue this extra distance as it can lead to serious injury.
Instead, work on your short game, easier quicker and less risk.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
As your swing speed is higher than mine was, your handicap is 12-13 shots higher than my last handicap.
I would suggest you don't persue this extra distance as it can lead to serious injury.
Instead, work on your short game, easier quicker and less risk.
I do appreciate the feedback, I will be working on short game when I can.

I really can't say whether or not I'll suffer any injuries from it, but a part of the whole routine is strength and conditioning work at the gym.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd understand this need for extra speed and distance, if your home club was 7,000+ yards long but it's 6001 off the back tees.
If you're playing off 14/15 on such a short course, the last thing you need is more distance.
Practice your wedge play from 50-60 yards in and you could get down to Cat I.

As always, feel free to ignore my suggestions.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Bob's right, your distance is already good, I'd work on not shanking par 3s. 😁😘

Haha, cheeky

how much have you spent ?

ive been thinking about it , but i dont want to have to buy a radar/ measuring device
I got the PRGR for £185 via Amazon and the Rypstick was £144 direct with a Black Friday code. I saved over £65 on RRP.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
how much have you spent ?

ive been thinking about it , but i dont want to have to buy a radar/ measuring device
The radar is the crucial bit, and PRGR the one to go for low price.

As to what to swing, I guess you are getting two things if you buy one of the systems : specific weights to train with, essentially lighter and heavier than a driver, and, a plan or app to guide you, track your progress, and adapt to that.
The first can be done to a great degree for nothing almost : just get an old driver with removable weights. Remove 20 or 30g. If you have another around put a bit of weight onto it to increase its weight. And swing those flat out occasionally.
I went for Stack, but havent started it yet, really on the name of Sasho McKenzie, the high priest of speed.
But I suspect most of the gain just comes from practicing to swing faster and faster.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Definitely something I’d consider, especially for the youth who is surrounded by kids that want to smash the ball miles. Even if it’s just to monitor and maintain club head speed - I don’t see anything wrong with a bit of speed training.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But I suspect most of the gain just comes from practicing to swing faster and faster.
I think this is the single worst thing you can do.
Please, if you want to avoid muscle strains, disc herniations, lumbar strains and osteoarthritis of the spine, do not follow this dangerous path.
Seriously!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the evidence suggests that if you want to avoid injury .
You should firstly build on a basis of doing some resistance and mobility training which tends to be protective against injury and build up the volume of speed work a bit slowly.
You can get strain injuries just through playing golf if done with resistance training and you build the volume slowly it could actually be protective against injury.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think this is the single worst thing you can do.
Please, if you want to avoid muscle strains, disc herniations, lumbar strains and osteoarthritis of the spine, do not follow this dangerous path.
Seriously!

Thanks for the advice Bob, i will be taking your advice and ignoring it:ROFLMAO:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Bob, i will be taking your advice and ignoring it:ROFLMAO:
Not my advice, the advice from Doctor Lali Sekhon, M.D., Ph.D., M.B.A. who is a board certified and double fellowship-trained spine neurosurgeon at Reno Orthopedic Clinic in Reno, NV.
But you crack on if you know better.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not my advice, the advice from Doctor Lali Sekhon, M.D., Ph.D., M.B.A. who is a board certified and double fellowship-trained spine neurosurgeon at Reno Orthopedic Clinic in Reno, NV.
But you crack on if you know better.
Oh dear Bob, dont be like that;)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would take the caution seriously. As with any physical activity, you need some idea of where you are coming from, existing injuries, general flexibility and atrength, whether you are playing other sports, age, whether a regular gym bunny, or sedentary for the last 30 years.

Strains and injuries seem not uncommon in golf, especially if playing or training agressively. So care or advice certainly recommended. And do warm up.

On the fundamental point I was making about using one of the branded schemes, or just swinging your driver faster, I think my point still stands. All the schemes are basically swing out to the max based.