Silly question about Opens

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Seniors Invitation 4BBB today. Winning score was 43 pts, with the member counting 12 times - scoring 29 pts. No sign yet of his round impacting his HI…will (out of interest) check tomorrow.

What system do you use? We’re on IG and I do know that, if you enter a 4BBB card onto the system in circumstances such as that, the update on EG seems to occur overnight.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It sounds easy on the face of it, but consider the following, since the beginning of June 2023.

1. A total of four weeks holiday.

2. Seven weekends taken up by team or 4BBB comps.

3. No qualifiers between mid October and the beginning of May - give or take 25 weeks.

Straight away that’s 36 weeks where someone only available to play at weekends CANNOT play in qualifiers. If you then throw into the mix the fact that our club do not run qualifiers every week anyway, and immediately you start to see that a requirement to submit ten cards in a rolling year can very quickly become problematic, if not impossible.
Are you confusing qualifying cards with competition cards? At my club, to enter board competitions you need to have submitted at least 8 cards in the past 12 months, of which at least 3 must be from competitions - any singles format. A few members kicked off saying they wouldn't/couldn't enter 8 comps a year for various reasons until it was pointed out that 3 was the minimum and the rest could be General Play.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What system do you use? We’re on IG and I do know that, if you enter a 4BBB card onto the system in circumstances such as that, the update on EG seems to occur overnight.
Yes, I understand that GolfGenius is not yet up to speed with B/Ball scores recording to h/cap.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We are also on IG. And yes…our updates are automatically done overnight…but in this case I see no update. I’m just interested to see what the system (WHS on IG) would do for HC purposes.

wjemather

Visit site
Dunno. I’ll ask. Should it have been qualifying, or is it optional. Our golf manager is an excellent and diligent guy, hot on things WHS, though I feel that sometimes he thinks he knows it all, when maybe he doesn’t quite know everything.
If a comp meets all the prerequisites of Rule 2.1 (authorised format, minimum holes, measured and rated course, rules of golf, etc.) scores are acceptable for handicapping and the comp must be configured as such so that scores are submitted (i.e. it's not optional).

Billysboots

Visit site
Are you confusing qualifying cards with competition cards? At my club, to enter board competitions you need to have submitted at least 8 cards in the past 12 months, of which at least 3 must be from competitions - any singles format. A few members kicked off saying they wouldn't/couldn't enter 8 comps a year for various reasons until it was pointed out that 3 was the minimum and the rest could be General Play.

I was told that it was cards from qualifying competitions, so it excludes General Play.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So on those weekends do you have a separate Comp for those who dont satisfy requirements? Or are they able to play but not win? If a Club, like mine, has a lot of Honours Board Comps its could be very difficult to satisfy the requirements.

Billysboots

Visit site
So on those weekends do you have a separate Comp for those who dont satisfy requirements? Or are they able to play but not win? If a Club, like mine, has a lot of Honours Board Comps its could be very difficult to satisfy the requirements.

We certainly have a similar rule. We have to have played in six qualifying comps in the preceding 12 months, and members who don’t meet the criteria can play but won’t be eligible to win a prize, and they can’t win if it’s a board comp. So they’re effectively playing just to gather enough comp cards.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you just don’t get to enter.
However, the club and pro shop run lots of competitions throughout the year so it is very easy to get your three competitive rounds in during the 12 months.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We certainly have a similar rule. We have to have played in six qualifying comps in the preceding 12 months, and members who don’t meet the criteria can play but won’t be eligible to win a prize, and they can’t win if it’s a board comp. So they’re effectively playing just to gather enough comp cards.
How much is Comp entry & does it include 2's which I guess they are able to win? At ours they can win money but not get on Honours Boards when for many of our Honours Boards the money would be considered more important...... as we have them for all other than who won the Xmas Raffle. 😜😜

Billysboots

Visit site
How much is Comp entry & does it include 2's which I guess they are able to win? At ours they can win money but not get on Honours Boards when for many of our Honours Boards the money would be considered more important...... as we have them for all other than who won the Xmas Raffle. 😜😜

We charge £5 which includes the 2’s sweep. To be honest, I don’t know if those not qualified to win prizes pay an entry fee because it’s not a position I’ve ever been in, and I so rarely have a 2 that I can’t say I’ve ever noticed if those the rule applies to can take a share of the pot!

TigerTime

Visit site
40 points today and my lowest WHS counting score ever...

Yet.. the club enterted my score horribly wrong on the system and it has me down for 10 shots worse than I should be. Incredible incompetence.

I take it my best route is to go through Scottish Golf and get them to correct it that way? I have a picture of the scorecard.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
40 points today and my lowest WHS counting score ever...

Yet.. the club enterted my score horribly wrong on the system and it has me down for 10 shots worse than I should be. Incredible incompetence.

I take it my best route is to go through Scottish Golf and get them to correct it that way? I have a picture of the scorecard.

Surely just ask the club to correct it?