Everyone's Favourite - a Swing Video!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson the other day - he got me standing a bit closer the ball in order to stop the disconnect between my arms and body. Improve backswing to keep that connection and better rotation etc.

Didn't get to play this weekend (probably just as well) but I did manage to get to the range this afternoon/evening.

After about 50 minutes of shanks and fats, I finally got some nice swings in:

Here is the last swing thread I did for comparison: https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/new-swing-video.113285/#post-2555648

I think it looks a lot more like a proper golf swing. Despite it being a frustrating range session, which really reminded me why I don't get lessons for a while - I'm happy with that end result having looked back at it on video.

Any notes? Good or bad, I'm easy. Goal is to get to 12 this year I think (same goal as last year 😬).

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure there is much hip rotation, similar issue to what was pointed out to me last week 😀

The youth actually has too much, too flexible so he is working in resisting some hip turn to create a little more coil in the backswing.

I say enjoy it while it lasts... 😂

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t seek swing advice or opinion from the unqualified would be the only note I’d give you, especially as you’ve just had a lesson from (I assume) a qualified professional.

Enjoy your golf amigo.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Looks good Ollie. Definitely a better ball fight too.

The hardest thing is to keep at the changes your coach has brought in, especially when you just want to play golf, but do that and the good golf will come.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you hitting it where you want it to go?

Looks to me the balls are heading left. Could be wrong.
The first one was fine because it has a touch of fade on it. Second one was pretty straight. Third one started straight but had a little draw on it which took it a couple of yards left. Last one had more draw on it so it went a little further left. They weren't far off straight though bar the last one. I'm not used to it drawing as that never really used to happen with my old swing as much. If it went left it was a pull or occasionally a hook.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks good Ollie. Definitely a better ball fight too.

The hardest thing is to keep at the changes your coach has brought in, especially when you just want to play golf, but do that and the good golf will come.
Yeah, I'm not used to putting any actual work into my golf game. Normally just turn up and hack it around. Guess I've finally realised I need to change something if I want to get any lower now.

To those who said good ball flight, I didn't mention that I was hitting a 9 iron if that makes any difference. 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not used to putting any actual work into my golf game. Normally just turn up and hack it around. Guess I've finally realised I need to change something if I want to get any lower now.

To those who said good ball flight, I didn't mention that I was hitting a 9 iron if that makes any difference. 😂

I find the hardest is keeping that work up. When I had a short game lesson I worked and worked on chipping for weeks. I had comments how good my short game was.

I stopped working on it (time) and now it's bang average again 😂

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The first one was fine because it has a touch of fade on it. Second one was pretty straight. Third one started straight but had a little draw on it which took it a couple of yards left. Last one had more draw on it so it went a little further left. They weren't far off straight though bar the last one. I'm not used to it drawing as that never really used to happen with my old swing as much. If it went left it was a pull or occasionally a hook.

If they are going where you want then happy days. That's half the battle.

Your missus sounds genuinely enthusiastic. Keeper. 😀

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I had a lesson the other day - he got me standing a bit closer the ball in order to stop the disconnect between my arms and body. Improve backswing to keep that connection and better rotation etc.

Didn't get to play this weekend (probably just as well) but I did manage to get to the range this afternoon/evening.

After about 50 minutes of shanks and fats, I finally got some nice swings in:

Here is the last swing thread I did for comparison: https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/new-swing-video.113285/#post-2555648

I think it looks a lot more like a proper golf swing. Despite it being a frustrating range session, which really reminded me why I don't get lessons for a while - I'm happy with that end result having looked back at it on video.

Any notes? Good or bad, I'm easy. Goal is to get to 12 this year I think (same goal as last year 😬).

There's a definite improvement from the earlier videos you posted - and you did look to be stood too far away from the ball. Swing doesn't look too bad at all to be fair - look like you're just finishing with your weight on your toes a touch, which I do, often have to take a step forward to regain my balance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
you seem a bit stiff hips, legs and feet wise. im guessing you hit a fade, but apart from that looks ok

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swing looks decent - what’s stopping you being off 12 already?

My weaknesses are erratic tee shots leaving me in the rough or worse, and short game. I’m working on both over winter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Swing looks decent - what’s stopping you being off 12 already?

My weaknesses are erratic tee shots leaving me in the rough or worse, and short game. I’m working on both over winter.
Erm, I'm just not very good? I took a bit of a backward step last year, it wasn't caused by anything in particular. Just make too many doubles and it's always a different reason. That's why I went for the lesson - just wanted to him to have a look and hopefully make me more consistent. I'm hoping this swing change will do that, and I can generally hit more greens, make less crappy errors, etc. I don't lose many balls with driver really, but I don't hit it very long either.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This swing looks much better (to my untrained eye)

The challenge is letting it freewheel on the course.