My Swing Speed Journey

Springveldt

Visit site
I had a trackman session last night for some more up to date numbers. I didn't hit the ball as well and was a bit inconsistent but gives an idea.

CarryTotalClubhead SpeedSpin RateSmash FactorHeight (apex)Ball SpeedLaunch Angle
229.9246.798.232901.4599ft142.513.6
214.1243.997.823561.4160ft137.511.5
217.22419630841.4663ft139.99.7
218.9241.698.332281.4465ft141.19.3
202.322197.135671.3774ft132.512.3
209232.296.534231.4460ft138.98.6
211.4231.797.329001.3681ft132.314.4
196.3207.796.944161.35104ft131.217
217.5248.797.722951.4357ft14010.8
What was the ball flight like? Based on clubhead speed and ball speed you are losing about 15-20 yards of carry on most of these.

Spin rate is too high, launch angle is too low. Check your angle of attack (Trackman will tell you this as well) as I'm betting your AoA is negative and you are hitting down on the ball. It might be something as a setup change to make sure you have a tilt in your spine at address with the driver (make sure left shoulder is higher than right assuming you are a righty) or moving the ball slightly forward.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What was the ball flight like? Based on clubhead speed and ball speed you are losing about 15-20 yards of carry on most of these.

Spin rate is too high, launch angle is too low. Check your angle of attack (Trackman will tell you this as well) as I'm betting your AoA is negative and you are hitting down on the ball. It might be something as a setup change to make sure you have a tilt in your spine at address with the driver (make sure left shoulder is higher than right assuming you are a righty) or moving the ball slightly forward.
The average on the LPGA tour with similar swing speeds is pretty similar to be fair.

TigerTime

Visit site

AoA varies between -2 to +2.

Also, without getting all shafty, I have a regular flex shaft. My previous driver had a stiff shaft, which I actually hit a bit better. I am considering heading to GC4C and picking up a stiff and trying that to see if it makes any difference. Unfortunately, a fitting is out of the question at the minute.

Hmm, I wonder if a low launch, low spin stiff shaft at a similar weight would beneficial for reducing spin. Launch angle I can always crease by improving AoA and setting up with more tilt.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
AoA varies between -2 to +2.

Also, without getting all shafty, I have a regular flex shaft. My previous driver had a stiff shaft, which I actually hit a bit better. I am considering heading to GC4C and picking up a stiff and trying that to see if it makes any difference. Unfortunately, a fitting is out of the question at the minute.

Hmm, I wonder if a low launch, low spin stiff shaft at a similar weight would beneficial for reducing spin. Launch angle I can always crease by improving AoA and setting up with more tilt.

What loft are you using ?

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Went for a range session earlier and worked solely on driver.

Had 22 measured drives via the PRGR, my slowest at 101 (a couple of dropkicks in there) and my fastest being 108 and 109. Averaged out at 104mph which I am thrilled about, especially as I've not been able to do the training for a month or so now!

Recorded some video too

Springveldt

Visit site
Session tonight and I thought for sure I was going to set a PB tonight based on my warmup. Was swinging the green at what felt like 70% and was still getting it to 115, don’t think I’ve ever had it that fast on the warmup with what get like so little effort.

In the end, fastest swings ended up being green at 128, blue at 123 and red at 119.

HPIMG

Visit site
Session tonight and I thought for sure I was going to set a PB tonight based on my warmup. Was swinging the green at what felt like 70% and was still getting it to 115, don’t think I’ve ever had it that fast on the warmup with what get like so little effort.

In the end, fastest swings ended up being green at 128, blue at 123 and red at 119.
What speed do you swing your driver at ?

Springveldt

Visit site
What speed do you swing your driver at ?
Have explained a few times in the thread how these speeds translate to driver. They look really fast but I’ve seen Jon Rahm swing them with the same blue speed radar that I use and his green was 144mph while mine tonight was 128mph.

I’d guess I’m around 104mph with the driver now and 109mph if I try and kill it.

If you look at the chart my best numbers tonight G 128, B 123 R 119 translate nearly perfectly to 105mph with driver.

HPIMG

Visit site
Have explained a few times in the thread how these speeds translate to driver. They look really fast but I’ve seen Jon Rahm swing them with the same blue speed radar that I use and his green was 144mph while mine tonight was 128mph.

I’d guess I’m around 104mph with the driver now and 109mph if I try and kill it.

If you look at the chart my best numbers tonight G 128, B 123 R 119 translate nearly perfectly to 105mph with driver.
I don’t know what it is but I feel as if I can swing my driver fast but not really the sticks. I find the sticks quite awkward feeling. My best red is only 111 or 112 I just don’t think I’ll ever get to 119 with the red but driver I’m swinging quite consistently 106/108 the now.

Springveldt

Visit site
I don’t know what it is but I feel as if I can swing my driver fast but not really the sticks. I find the sticks quite awkward feeling. My best red is only 111 or 112 I just don’t think I’ll ever get to 119 with the red but driver I’m swinging quite consistently 106/108 the now.
Which radar are you using to measure? I'm sure the blue Sport Sensors radar I use measures swings about 4mph faster than the PRGR. Also, SuperSpeed say if you are struggling with the red specifically it's usually a sign you need to get stronger (not having a dig here btw :)) My problem a lot of the time is that I can't move the green fast enough in relation to the red. This makes sense to me as I've never been a "quick twitch" kind of person, I've been really strong in the past but used to train 5x5 as I much preferred working out with heavy, low volume that quick high volume stuff.

If we consider Trackman as “the standard”, the PRGR will measure about 3-4 mph faster and the Sport Sensors Inc radar will measure about 5-10 mph faster than a trackman. The Sport Sensors Inc radar is also inconsistent which is problematic for monitoring. The PRGR is extremely consistent.

I've always used the Sport Sensors radar though, so my results have always used the same tools. I've never felt the need to get a PRGR since I've also got a Raposodo MLM if I want to hit balls and get decent yardages. Raposodo now supports speed training (giving swing speed without a ball being hit) but it's part of the "Premium" package they want you to pay $99 a year for. I'm not brave enough to go balls to the wall with a driver into my net considering I hit a 40 yard pitch shot the other night over the net and sailing into a neighbours tree.

Also, those 119mph swings with the red are me going full, swing out your boots style, I'm not even sure I could make contact with a ball but I'm just trying to swing as fast as I can.

HPIMG

Visit site
Which radar are you using to measure? I'm sure the blue Sport Sensors radar I use measures swings about 4mph faster than the PRGR. Also, SuperSpeed say if you are struggling with the red specifically it's usually a sign you need to get stronger (not having a dig here btw :)) My problem a lot of the time is that I can't move the green fast enough in relation to the red. This makes sense to me as I've never been a "quick twitch" kind of person, I've been really strong in the past but used to train 5x5 as I much preferred working out with heavy, low volume that quick high volume stuff.

I've always used the Sport Sensors radar though, so my results have always used the same tools. I've never felt the need to get a PRGR since I've also got a Raposodo MLM if I want to hit balls and get decent yardages. Raposodo now supports speed training (giving swing speed without a ball being hit) but it's part of the "Premium" package they want you to pay $99 a year for. I'm not brave enough to go balls to the wall with a driver into my net considering I hit a 40 yard pitch shot the other night over the net and sailing into a neighbours tree.

Also, those 119mph swings with the red are me going full, swing out your boots style, I'm not even sure I could make contact with a ball but I'm just trying to swing as fast as I can.
I use the PRGR it’s all the sticks I think my max on the green is only 122 I just feel really awkward swinging them for some reason. Hopefully in the next few weeks I crack on a bit

Springveldt

Visit site
I use the PRGR it’s all the sticks I think my max on the green is only 122 I just feel really awkward swinging them for some reason. Hopefully in the next few weeks I crack on a bit
I’m guessing my numbers would be really close to yours if I was using the PRGR as well. The original chart from SuperSpeed was when they used the blue sport sensors radar as their “official” radar.

I’m just trying to push my numbers up to the 110 in the chart (G131, B126 and R123). I’ve hit them all individually but never in the same session and I’ve only ever had the red above 120 once.

stevied

Visit site
I've had to curtail my training for the time being due to a bout of tennis elbow. Gutted as I was seeing some good gains. Still I'm going to do some low impact stuff instead, like flexibility exercises until it passes.

TigerTime

Visit site
^ this. I’d work to improve this before I start even remotely thinking of speed training.
I'm not doing speed training. I've been there and done that as previously mentioned.

I'm going to the gym, and start a gym program which will include mobility and strength stuff. First and foremost for my own health but I think being stronger and more flexible will help in terms of increasing my distances. My upper body is notoriously unflexible and weak.

Springveldt

Visit site
Another good session tonight but I need to figure out a way to get 3 a week in rather than the current 2 as maybe that will push me on again. Fastest tonight was green 130, blue 122 and red 118. Finally managed to get my horrible non-dominant side swings above 100 for all 3 sticks as well.

Interestingly all my non-dominant swings improved when I just kept all my weight on my lead side which might mean I’m horrible at transferring my weight. I might make some home made “force pedals” out of the dogs tennis balls as I’m not paying £50 for 2 little bits of silicon.

HPIMG

Visit site
I went for a lesson today right after playing 18 holes. I was surprised at the drop off was on gc quad so I was looking at the speeds. I was hitting most around 98mph with only a few breaking 100.
During speed training I’m pretty consistent in the 106/108 range the now.

Springveldt

Visit site
Just finished my session, the lighter nights are helping me get them in. Not sure when the next one will be as I’m playing golf Saturday and Sunday this weekend so another week with only 2 sessions. Going to try and get 3 per week from next week.

Good session tonight, fastest speeds were green 132, blue 122 and red 120. The blue is a bit behind where it should have been based on the other 2 but still near my maximum.