New irons….Should I expect them to perform straight away?

D

Deleted member 15344

Just playing devil's advocate here... but could it be that he's said this because there's an element of guesswork to the fittings, and given enough months you could basically get used to any irons, be they fitted or not??

What guesswork is part of a fitting ?

Most people after being fitted will have different set ups than they previously used so it will take a while to get used to the.m

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't get too worried about not being able to hit a 4 iron well.

Could easily just be you on the day. You could be flushing it the next day out.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Just playing devil's advocate here... but could it be that he's said this because there's an element of guesswork to the fittings, and given enough months you could basically get used to any irons, be they fitted or not??
Absolutely not. This guy was one of the most respected club fitters/builders in the UK, if not Europe.

The idea of fitting is to end up with clubs that help simplify the swing and work with the golfer, not against him...the golfer still has to get used to the clubs....any club with a different headweight, shaft weight/flex/balance is going to take some time to acclimatise to....it doesn't happen over night.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Last week I played John letters irons that were around 80 years old.
Friday, yesterday and today I played Slazenger irons that are 50 years old, tomorrow I'm playing Gradidge irons that are around 70 years old.
What's this bedding in thing that people are talking about?

sjw

Visit site
I hit mine great at the fitting but took a while to get used to them in practice. I think because they were so wonderful at the fitting, I expected them to do all the magic for me and technique went out the window.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most fittings take place on a range or in a studio....on a mat that gives you a perfect lie
And it's flat..there's no grass coming between ball and club face, no tufts behind the ball..and it's dry.
There may be alignment help on the mat
The shot doesn't matter...hit a naff one and it gets deleted...
All these are rarely found on a golf course.....

Jason.H

Visit site
Most fittings take place on a range or in a studio....on a mat that gives you a perfect lie
And it's flat..there's no grass coming between ball and club face, no tufts behind the ball..and it's dry.
There may be alignment help on the mat
The shot doesn't matter...hit a naff one and it gets deleted...
All these are rarely found on a golf course.....
It’s probably the best place if you want to look at comparing heads and shafts for numbers. More consistent data from a mat than different lies on grass.
I’m having an iron fitting Saturday and am looking for a higher ball flight and a bit more spin than my current set. I will try the Titleist T150 as reviews I’ve seen show higher ball flight so will see what comes from the fitting.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It’s probably the best place if you want to look at comparing heads and shafts for numbers. More consistent data from a mat than different lies on grass.
I’m having an iron fitting Saturday and am looking for a higher ball flight and a bit more spin than my current set. I will try the Titleist T150 as reviews I’ve seen show higher ball flight so will see what comes from the fitting.
Completely agree
But the 2 environments are chalk and cheese....
And, yeah, those T150s look juicy.:love: