New irons

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I suspect the reason is manufacturers' marketing bollocks of "my 5 iron goes futher than your 5 iron".
When the old 3 iron is called a nine iron, what are going to call all the wedges. gap wedge, approach wedge, approach gap wedge, utiltity wedge, approach utility wedge ....

Bring back the mashie niblick.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
I suspect the reason is manufacturers' marketing bollocks of "my 5 iron goes futher than your 5 iron".
I’m beginning to think it’s all marketing nonsense. Had another go with the 755’s tonight. I can’t see that they’re any less forgiving than some P790’s or t200’s I tried a couple of weeks ago. Ultimately, a bad swing is a bad swing. I’ll call my 3 iron the long approach wedge😂😂😂

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When the old 3 iron is called a nine iron, what are going to call all the wedges. gap wedge, approach wedge, approach gap wedge, utiltity wedge, approach utility wedge ....

Bring back the mashie niblick.
I still have the hickory shafted mashie-niblick that my dad cut down for me when I was 9 years old.

MN.jpg

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
40 years of Ping progress...

View attachment 54126
I move between I15s and G430s
I basically see around a 1.5 clubs difference between them. I suspect if the G430s were std loft then it would be 2 clubs difference.
I also think the 0.5” increase in length and the lighter graphite shafts have helped but only to give me that 0.5 club difference because gripping down sheds another 5yards and then playing a cut /fade makes them equal in distance if the i15 is played properly.
To be honest the i15s are really nice they offer that degree of forgiveness but the souls are narrow and you don’t get flyers .. the G430s don’t give me flyers, they are forgiving and the graphite shafts protect me.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I move between I15s and G430s gaps from the
I basically see around a 1.5 clubs difference between them. I suspect if the G430s were std loft then it would be 2 clubs difference.
I also think the 0.5” increase in length and the lighter graphite shafts have helped but only to give me that 0.5 club difference because gripping down sheds another 5yards and then playing a cut /fade makes them equal in distance if the i15 is played properly.
To be honest the i15s are really nice they offer that degree of forgiveness but the souls are narrow and you don’t get flyers .. the G430s don’t give me flyers, they are forgiving and the graphite shafts protect me.
I was lucky to pick up a set of Eye2 BeCu earlier this year. Played a few games with them before Hcap qualifiers started.

Last few games I've been using G10 3 and 4 irons, i10 5-PW, Eye2 PW and Cleveland 691 58°.

The i10 W is 46° and the Eye2 W is 50° - this carries on the 4° gaps from the 7, 8, 9 irons.

I have 3 clubs in the bag that have nothing but a "W" on the sole. Looks cool. Ten irons from 21° to 58° and they seem to be working well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, if the next 40 years go like the last 40 years, we will have ...

View attachment 54129
Rather than chucking in more and more "wedges" I don't know why more manufacturers don't just start numbering them 10 and 11 irons at this point. The phrase 'pitching wedge' is utterly meaningless on today's clubs. None of them are wedges, they're irons.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rather than chucking in more and more "wedges" I don't know why more manufacturers don't just start numbering them 10 and 11 irons at this point. The phrase 'pitching wedge' is utterly meaningless on today's clubs. None of them are wedges, they're irons.

Oooo I can't resist the temptation....

1720515996560.png

Only joking mind :p