Driver Technology

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone replace stuff because it is worn out?
My Rogue is looking a bit tired on the face, it was 2nd hand when I got it. But I will wait no point buying anything now and fingers crossed the second hand market increases again.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I went from a Ping G to a Ping 410 so not that massive a jump Aside from the adjustable weight I don't feel it is too different. I want to play around with the weight/loft when we get back to hitting balls just to see what it offers but I don't feel there has been a huge leap forward. I am not sure the G410 and the new Ping model are going to be far enough apart to justify a massive outlay

why would you want to do that, you got an itch Homer ?

JT.

Visit site
I recommend reading ‘The new search for the perfect golf club’ by Tom Wishon. It will provide food for thought about whether the expertly marketed (but microscopic) club advances will really make a difference. In fact unless you’re blessed with an effective and well timed swing most of the advantages the manufacturers are selling won’t apply to you anyway!
The easiest way to tighten your disputation is to shorten the shaft (there’s a reason tiger played with a 43.5 inch driver for most of his career); this will generally increase distance too by increasing hits off the sweet spot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recommend reading ‘The new search for the perfect golf club’ by Tom Wishon. It will provide food for thought about whether the expertly marketed (but microscopic) club advances will really make a difference. In fact unless you’re blessed with an effective and well timed swing most of the advantages the manufacturers are selling won’t apply to you anyway!
The easiest way to tighten your disputation is to shorten the shaft (there’s a reason tiger played with a 43.5 inch driver for most of his career); this will generally increase distance too by increasing hits off the sweet spot.
Placebo effect isn't to be sniffed at though. People look at it like the emperor's new clothes (i.e. one you know it's placebo the effect wears off) but I don't. I think having a brand new shiny that you love hitting can make you hit better. It's like, I recently bought some new running trainers, they are comfortable and I couldn't wait to try them out (I generally hate running but there's nothing else to do), and I beat my personal best time. Scotty Cameron fans often say it too - maybe a shiny new SC won't make you putt better, but if you love using it to the point that you practise more, then maybe it will.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone replace stuff because it is worn out?
My Rogue is looking a bit tired on the face, it was 2nd hand when I got it. But I will wait no point buying anything now and fingers crossed the second hand market increases again.

When it comes to drivers I have never worn one out.

JT.

Visit site
Placebo effect isn't to be sniffed at though. People look at it like the emperor's new clothes (i.e. one you know it's placebo the effect wears off) but I don't. I think having a brand new shiny that you love hitting can make you hit better. It's like, I recently bought some new running trainers, they are comfortable and I couldn't wait to try them out (I generally hate running but there's nothing else to do), and I beat my personal best time. Scotty Cameron fans often say it too - maybe a shiny new SC won't make you putt better, but if you love using it to the point that you practise more, then maybe it will.
Agreed 100%.

As we all know 90% of golf is played in the bit between your ears, and it’s a wonder how easily the brain is tricked by a new club.

The same effect is seen after you’ve carved your tee shot right and OOB on an easy par 3 a couple of rounds running.......toughest shot on the course the next time you step onto that tee. You can change your clubs to get rid of negative feelings, sadly you can’t remodel a golf course! ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to drivers I have never worn one out.
I suspect very few people have, the marketing is awesome and we are all craving those extra yards without putting in the hard work.
For me I haven’t had a successful fitting for 6 yrs and I have just cobbled together my drivers by some research and analysis. When I say successful fitting, I mean nothing has out performed my mish mash driver. But there are things I don’t like about it and stuff I do and if someone can help me there, I am sure I will get a small upgrade in performance and consistency. Then I will smash that one up for a couple of years.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point.

Grips wear out, grooves on wedges, not much else.

I love to be in a position to replace golf balls when they wear out, but that doesn't happen very often :ROFLMAO:
I had some truefeel given to me for Christmas and I have been hitting it into the net .. it is absolutely knackered. I couldn’t believe how bad it looked, thought it was just grubby but no it was really poor, unless it was a “bongo” but why would you bother making “bongos” of trufeel?

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
All the drivers are capped at .85 cor. Basically you shoot a ball at a club face during testing at 100mph it must bounce back at 85mph or below to be legal. There is no more the manufactures can do in terms of distances apart from a couple yards. For every 1mph of club head speed you gain 2 yards of carry. There is only so much a club head can do to generate speed.

The real advancements in the clubs are the forgiveness. The off center strikes not going as bad as they used to. I went from an r15 to an M2 and immediately noticed a difference in forgiveness. The off center hits were flying much further than r15 off center hits.

If you want more distance, increase your speed. Which is all relative to strike.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good point.

Grips wear out, grooves on wedges, not much else.

I love to be in a position to replace golf balls when they wear out, but that doesn't happen very often :ROFLMAO:
A couple of years back I managed to use the same golf ball for ten rounds in a row without losing it, eventually I hit a tee shot with a pitching wedge and put a massive crack through the ball. I have kept the ball ever since as a badge of honour. It's a Wilson Staff DX2 Soft. :p

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of years back I managed to use the same golf ball for ten rounds in a row without losing it, eventually I hit a tee shot with a pitching wedge and put a massive crack through the ball. I have kept the ball ever since as a badge of honour. It's a Wilson Staff DX2 Soft. :p

Some players are just not that particular about what a ball looks like:ROFLMAO:

I have a mate who swears by ProV1s because they last for so long. I tell him he does not hit the ball hard enough to wear them out and show him how knackered my ProV1s are after just 2 rounds. (One of the downsides of new wedges at frequent intervals).

The Fader

Visit site
Remember that Golf 'technology' is 98% marketing and 2% aethetics.

And you are being generous in awarding 2% to aesthetics!!

If the technological claims of the marketing were to be believed we would be all be gaining dozens of yards just by trading up to the next new shiny stick every time one was launched.

The COR was capped some years ago and if one of the OEM's had really found a legitimate way of getting round this with new technology every Pro would be playing that club.

Minimal gains to be had if you find a head /shaft combo on a new club that fits you better, always assuming you have a largely repeatable swing ( 5% of posters at best ;))

Otherwise lessons, practice and improving strength and flexibility are a better bet for increased distances than a £500 itch scratched in search of the holy grail.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some players are just not that particular about what a ball looks like:ROFLMAO:

I have a mate who swears by ProV1s because they last for so long. I tell him he does not hit the ball hard enough to wear them out and show him how knackered my ProV1s are after just 2 rounds. (One of the downsides of new wedges at frequent intervals).
The only time I take a ball out of use is when I've knifed one so badly it has a visible cut line right across it. Unfortunately happens more often than I'd like.:cautious: I still don't chuck them out though, they just become provisionals. :D

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only time I take a ball out of use is when I've knifed one so badly it has a visible cut line right across it. Unfortunately happens more often than I'd like.:cautious: I still don't chuck them out though, they just become provisionals. :D
Your amazing!! Knifing a modern ball is hard work!! Balata balls were quite easy to knife, used to find lots when I was a young man.