Driver Technology

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They introduce new models at this time of year. Why? Trade shows is one reason, another is that every other company releases stuff at this time of year, and if your company doesn't, the products are viewed as stale. As a consumer, who sees all the hype, why would anyone want to consider 'last years' driver, when you could have this years. Why would a shop stock it? People have seen it before. Shops (in a normal year) require footfall. No one is desperate to get to their local emporium to see last years driver, they just aren't.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
TM have been here before, when they replaced RBZ with RBZ stage 2. Total disaster, led to more rushed out products like Jet Speed etc with limited incremental improvement, it stuffed retailers who were left with old stock, and alienated die hard fans who have to have the latest gear. Have they learned anything?

Yes, the buying public have short memories and will be all over these GREAT new models.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What, you don't think any of the current offerings will be as good as a 5 year old model?
There might not be large gains out the middle but I don't think manufacturers are going backwards.
tried a load of drivers last winter Titleist, Mizuno, Callaway, TM and Ping, none came anywhere near the M2, with the shaft i have in it

evemccc

Visit site
tried a load of drivers last winter Titleist, Mizuno, Callaway, TM and Ping, none came anywhere near the M2, with the shaft i have in it

As someone who’s spent too long this winter on golf youtube review videos I have a few Qs.

Is it an expensive aftermarket shaft and do you think the same shaft would make a difference?

Where do you rate the importance of shaft vs head?

Edit: I mean regarding the Crossfield point about Shaft vs Strike

evemccc

Visit site
I tried out a SIM Max at the fitting I had in the summer.

Despite various shafts, including the one in my own driver at the time, I could barely, if at all, improve on my M2 (2017).

What is it precisely, if you can state that, is so good about the M2?
Speed, forgiveness, spin number?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As someone who’s spent too long this winter on golf youtube review videos I have a few Qs.

Is it an expensive aftermarket shaft and do you think the same shaft would make a difference?

Take a look at TXG for the shaft stuff, they don‘t push expensive shafts, they just explain how they use the characteristics to improve the strike position, feel, face closure rate etc..
There is a place for a good mating of head and shaft. But they also show that spending big doesn’t equal big gains over a stock option that has been optimised.
I want to go through the process and get optimised, I could with my current rogue driver, but in the end I might get something for a similar price brand new depending on the shafts that are offered with no uplift.

evemccc

Visit site
I have a driver that goes down the fairway a certain distance when I swing well, and when I miss it it's much straighter than the previous Titleist 915 I had.

When I tried the SIM Max against the M2 with proper balls, on an open air range and with a launch monitor, nothing stood out as being noticeably better.

Everything I’ve read about the M2 has only been positive..

How about retro-fits of drivers, buying aftermarket shafts / changing shaft length for your existing driver...is there a market for this and has anyone done or thought about this?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

its a Ozik Matrix white tie, 5X3 which i got from someone on here some time ago and it didn't work at all in the M1 head i had at the time . i had a M1 orig with an adila silver 70g shaft, wehn i got it out the middle it went miles, but anywhere else on the face nowehere. i had built up fair few shafts i got of ebay, here and mates, so went down to my pro one day to try them all on his GC2.
they were all a bit of a muchness TBH, but my mate who is the pro, reckoned the 425 M1 wasn't that forgiving so why don't we try an M2 head just to see how much more forgiving it wss wth my shafts. The matrix white tie was head and shoulders better than the others, spin was better, Ball speed was miles better and distance was 20 yards better than any of the other.

Alas the company that made the shaft went OOB and got bought by someone else i believe they still make a shaft under that name but its not the same as the Orig. i've tried the last few years to get another, but none to be had anywhere, well not the same as mine.

as i say i've had several fitting in the last few years and none of the clubs have come anwhere near the current combination of M2 #1 and the white tie

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is this new Sim 2 really going to make a world of difference to a handicap golfer even using older technology like the M1. I think there was a video by someone like Crossfield, Shiels or Finch) who tested a number of drivers going back about 10 years and found the difference a matter of 5-6 yards between all of them. Is that really going to be a game changer for someone that won't find the same spot on the club each time?