Which pre owned Driver - £200 Budget

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I still have my Ping G15 driver in my garage which I have always loved, up until I took a chance on the PXG offering a little while back. For such a little price it was, it's at least 30 yds longer than my Ping, and almost as forgiving.
However, I suspect a Ping G430 will be tried at some time not to far away;)

I fell out of love with my PXG, actually got £100 for it from GC4 cash, not bad considering I bought it for £129 plus got a new shaft sent out when the adaptor came off - which is now in the Cobra after that one got snapped on a flight back from Spain. (y)

Budds

Banned
Visit site
I still have my Ping G15 driver in my garage which I have always loved, up until I took a chance on the PXG offering a little while back. For such a little price it was, it's at least 30 yds longer than my Ping, and almost as forgiving.
However, I suspect a Ping G430 will be tried at some time not to far away;)
G15 is a rather untypical Png Driver. I rather liked it, whereas I haven't really got on very well with most other Pngs. I think there was a few years of Driver development between the G15 and PXG, so that might explain the 30yd improvement.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Graham. Having seen your swing, I'm convinced you'd be much better served spending the money on lessons - though you might need to sell a few more clubs first! G400 appears to be a solid driver though, albeit with not as much adjustment as other brands.

Cheeky sod. :ROFLMAO:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As they are all the same anyway 😉, just pick the one you like the colour of 😁

Cobra and Mizuno often seem good value in the used market
If you can keep your headcover and it already matches your bag or your golf wear, then you can just keep using on the new driver, then you dont need to bother to much about its colour.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have a look at Mizuno ST drivers or PXG Gen 5. I’ve used both and liked them. Second hand I suspect that they will be cheaper than more well known brands.

Budds

Banned
Visit site
I’ve had the M4 since 2018 and it’s a great performer, tried the SIM and SIM2 then the Stealth and none significantly outperform the M4 so I have held on to it.

Fujikura Pro shaft is my go to in any driver.
Very (far too) sensible. I hope you feel guilty for preventing an entire chain of workers from earning a living! Great to be comfortable with a specifc shaft, now that they can be swapped easily.

Last edited:

ThinBullet

Visit site
I wrote a big list of drivers i've owned, but remembered that my old M1 2016 430 CC had the same ball speed as my current TSi3. Modern driver heads are just better out the surrounding areas of the centre than older drivers. A low strike with an M1 spins the ball like mad, and a higher strike is so much low spin it drops out the sky, whereas, my TSi3 is more subtle across the face. I had a Ping G410 LST last season, and it was an automatic fade weapon. Alta CB shaft. Just stand up and throw a swing at it, and it went.

Things change so much within yourself. For example, here's a pic of a spreadsheet I made of drivers I used to own from a few years ago.

shafts.png

I know that if I went back to try all those clubs/shaft combos now, I'll have different results. I'm still laughing at the reasons I switch in some cases haha. Reason I kept a log was to see if there was a pattern in shaft specs, weight, torque etc. Anything over 60g tends to kill me off. But I now play the exact TSi3 spec I got rid off, and I love it now.

Drop in swing speed later was due to a back injury, but I'm back up to 105-107 now.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
This thread has got me thinking about updating my Cobra F-Speed driver.
Would anyone like to predict when the asking prices for the likes of Epic, Mavrik, Rogue drivers are likely to come down to about £40?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Might be earlier - time will tell.
When I bought my 2004/5 F-Speed in 2010 for £25, easily changeable shafts had come in and fully adjustable were just coming in.
Second hand prices slumped - they seemed out-of-date very quickly and market was flooded due to uptake of the new drivers.

What we need is a "true" innovation and development stage at some point soon to cause a same or similar effect to the Epik, Mavrik types.
I wonder what that innovation could be?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Might be earlier - time will tell.
When I bought my 2004/5 F-Speed in 2010 for £25, easily changeable shafts had come in and fully adjustable were just coming in.
Second hand prices slumped - they seemed out-of-date very quickly and market was flooded due to uptake of the new drivers.

What we need is a "true" innovation and development stage at some point soon to cause a same or similar effect to the Epik, Mavrik types.
I wonder what that innovation could be?
A driver made of turned, polished wood with four screws in a square shape on the face. A thin wooden shaft and a leather grip.
It's the future.
😆😆😆😆

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Sell the F6, buy an older Cobra, spend the profit on the lad where it has more chance of making a real difference.

I think I've just blown any chance of an invitation to Willow Valley.

The longest drives I've ever hit were with an old Cobra King Ti as it happens, Driver and a 5 iron through the back of a 494 yard par 5. It was like my body had been possessed by the spirit of somebody who could actually play golf - one of those rare rounds where you can't recall a bad shot - the problem is, it was over 20 years ago and I haven't come close since. :ROFLMAO:

And you're always welcome at Willow Valley mate, everybody should experience the combination of a beautiful championship course layout coupled with scabby municipal course bunkers....

(They're not that bad actually - as long as it hasn't rained for a few weeks) ;)