TaylorMade Driver Warranty Issues

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My advice is nothing to do with the warranty really.
Take a look at all of you clubs and are they suffering from bag rub? i.e the point where the shaft touches the bag. If yes do something about it.

rystaman

Visit site
From what the OP has said, Scottsdale and TM have both been involved, said it is not a warranty issue but have offered a discounted replacement shaft. People should realise that the customer isn't always right and the issue should be closed.
Also, we only have one side of the story here and the OP may be 'mistaken' about how often the club has been used, how it has been treated etc so for people to immediately jump on the bandwagon and call for boycotts of Scottsdale and TM is a bit of a kneejerk reaction (imo)
I never said to boycott both companies, I said it's soured my relationship towards them and potentially is putting me off buying TM irons again which is a completely fair comment on a much more expensive set of clubs. Genuinely wanted to know if anyone has any issues with their warranty and yes, you can't believe everything you hear on the internet but the fact that I've got much older clubs and drivers that have been used a hell of a lot more with zero issues this one is unfortunately not down to me trying to bend it over my knee

rystaman

Visit site
My advice is nothing to do with the warranty really.
Take a look at all of you clubs and are they suffering from bag rub? i.e the point where the shaft touches the bag. If yes do something about it.
No actually, it was the first thing I checked to see if that was the issue for my other clubs but can't see any issue with bag rub on my 3W or 3H. However, I did get fit into some Accra TZi 115 shafts so I am slightly concerned about potential bag rub on irons no matter the set I pull the trigger on.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I never said to boycott both companies, I said it's soured my relationship towards them and potentially is putting me off buying TM irons again which is a completely fair comment on a much more expensive set of clubs. Genuinely wanted to know if anyone has any issues with their warranty and yes, you can't believe everything you hear on the internet but the fact that I've got much older clubs and drivers that have been used a hell of a lot more with zero issues this one is unfortunately not down to me trying to bend it over my knee
I didn't name names when saying about boycotting the companies but 1 poster has mentioned not using either company again

rystaman

Visit site
The 1st year of the warranty was with the retailer, the 2nd year is offered by TM
Other than volunteering to act as a conduit, the retailer has no part to play in any extended warranty period that may be offered by the manufacture

TM have looked at it and unfortunately for OP, they can't find a fault in the unit. You could I suppose have an independent analysis done at your own cost to see if you get a different result (but that result is not a certainty to be accepted or even in your favour)

Based on TM findings that they didn't do anything wrong or supply a faulty item, they didn't have to offer any discount on a replacement shaft but I guess to show goodwill to your predicament they've offered a discount so both you and they would incur a cost to fixing the club (they might actually feel that their generosity has been thrown back at them)

Sure its nice when a retailer/manufacture goes way above their responsibilities and accepts the whole cost/loss, but they shouldn't be slagged off for going above their responsibility... but apparently not far enough
Looking at their warranty wording it seems both years are through TM:

With respect to golf clubs purchased from an authorized TaylorMade dealer or direct form TaylorMade via its online store TaylorMade warrants, to the original consumer only, that its golf clubs will be free from defects in materials and workmanship during normal and customary use for for 2 years from the original date of purchase from an authorized retailer or TaylorMade Online Store ("the two year warranty"), provided (1) in the case of any golf club for which the consumer wishes to exercise the two year warranty, the consumer presents proof of purchase in the form of an original cash register or online receipt from the authorized retailer or TaylorMade from whom the consumer purchased the product, and (2) the golf club has not been abused, altered, defaced, or misused, or otherwise damaged through the act or neglect of the consumer or a third party.

Based on their judgment that the damage is 7 inches from the head, it seems they’re implying that I don’t meet the second warranty condition about the club not being abused or misused.

As for the idea that their “generosity” has been thrown back at them, I don’t think that’s fair. This is a club bought from an authorised dealer, still within its warranty period, from a company that brought in over $1 billion in revenue last year. If I had snapped the club over my knee and cracked the shaft, I’d understand their position completely. But for a shaft to fail with minimal, normal use and then be offered only a discounted reshaft.

And to be clear, I didn’t slag them off. I’ve just expressed my frustration with the poor after-sales support, especially considering this issue has been ongoing since June. I think it’s fair to be disappointed with how a brand has handled things in this situation.

Golfloveruk

Visit site
TM can’t possibly know how it’s been used, so it’s fully understandable why they won’t just replace it. It’s not a TM made component and I’d be very surprised if any manufacturer would.

You claim to have only hit a 100 shots. But how many times has it been in and out of the car? Rattling around in the boot or having other clubs bang against it, same when you’re walking round the course, taking clubs in and out of your bag, leaning on it etc.

A discount new shaft seems a more than reasonable compromise for an 18 month old club that’s had god knows what happen to it.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2) the golf club has not been abused, altered, defaced, or misused, or otherwise damaged through the act or neglect of the consumer or a third party.

Based on their judgment that the damage is 7 inches from the head, it seems they’re implying that I don’t meet the second warranty condition about the club not being abused or misused
While life is too short to be trying to sort it out and the most practical solution is indeed to take the loss. It’s very surprising to see how many are sympathetic to the manufacturer in this case.

The way it stands it’s on the manufacturer to prove that on the “balance of probabilities” the damage is due to the misuse. Just saying so isn’t really evidence of anything.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Looking at their warranty wording it seems both years are through TM:

With respect to golf clubs purchased from an authorized TaylorMade dealer or direct form TaylorMade via its online store TaylorMade warrants, to the original consumer only, that its golf clubs will be free from defects in materials and workmanship during normal and customary use for for 2 years from the original date of purchase from an authorized retailer or TaylorMade Online Store ("the two year warranty"), provided (1) in the case of any golf club for which the consumer wishes to exercise the two year warranty, the consumer presents proof of purchase in the form of an original cash register or online receipt from the authorized retailer or TaylorMade from whom the consumer purchased the product, and (2) the golf club has not been abused, altered, defaced, or misused, or otherwise damaged through the act or neglect of the consumer or a third party.

Based on their judgment that the damage is 7 inches from the head, it seems they’re implying that I don’t meet the second warranty condition about the club not being abused or misused.

As for the idea that their “generosity” has been thrown back at them, I don’t think that’s fair. This is a club bought from an authorised dealer, still within its warranty period, from a company that brought in over $1 billion in revenue last year. If I had snapped the club over my knee and cracked the shaft, I’d understand their position completely. But for a shaft to fail with minimal, normal use and then be offered only a discounted reshaft.

And to be clear, I didn’t slag them off. I’ve just expressed my frustration with the poor after-sales support, especially considering this issue has been ongoing since June. I think it’s fair to be disappointed with how a brand has handled things in this situation.

I perhaps could've been clearer

The retailer warranty is (usually) for one year. TM warranty, in this case, is a concurrent 1st year and an additional 2nd year. Your shaft break happened after 18 months. The retailer has no warranty obligation to you after one year
You talked about 'calling out the Ombudsman' to the retailer & them being 'poor', but you don't even have a contract with them anymore. To their credit they haven't just washed their hands of the matter and, to an extent, were happy to act as conduit

I agree, it appears that TM have judged something in part 2 to be the 'trigger' for the break. No mention that they imply its deliberate (who would do that after all) just that nothing they can find indicates they or retailer did it prior to the sale or that the shaft contains a fault

Their assessment is 'something' out with their controls & responsibility happened to that shaft (accidently even inadvertently &/or unknowingly) but that's not their comment to make

Yup totally fair to be disappointed, one of the less pleasant things we all go though in life, be it a driver shaft or a washing machine. They never break at a convenient time and its always an unwanted cost to repair/replace

Springveldt

Visit site
With the crack being so far from the hosel I can understand why TM won't replace it. It's probably right in the area of bag rub, other clubs hitting into it, bouncing off the bag when in the back of the car etc.

I get that it's frustrating as you know you haven't mistreat the club but I'd probably have taken them up on the offer of a discounted shaft or just bought a second hand one off eBay. You would have had better luck if it was the head that had a defect, they would probably have replaced it straight away without an issue.

rystaman

Visit site
While life is too short to be trying to sort it out and the most practical solution is indeed to take the loss. It’s very surprising to see how many are sympathetic to the manufacturer in this case.

The way it stands it’s on the manufacturer to prove that on the “balance of probabilities” the damage is due to the misuse. Just saying so isn’t really evidence of anything.
My thoughts at the moment is to just take the hit. A few images of a cracked shaft from Scottsdale Golf doesn't show evidence of anything, and the position of the crack whilst might not be 'typical' in their tolerances doesn't mean it didn't happen through a shaft fault.

rystaman

Visit site
With the crack being so far from the hosel I can understand why TM won't replace it. It's probably right in the area of bag rub, other clubs hitting into it, bouncing off the bag when in the back of the car etc.

I get that it's frustrating as you know you haven't mistreat the club but I'd probably have taken them up on the offer of a discounted shaft or just bought a second hand one off eBay. You would have had better luck if it was the head that had a defect, they would probably have replaced it straight away without an issue.
My only thoughts if this is their line of thinking would be surely if it was bag rub (for example) you'd see other elements of that through worn paint etc. (which is not present).

Yeah I haven't completely shut down the offer of a discounted shaft, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any experiences around this but looking like it's my only option right about now

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
@rystaman It wont make you feel any better but believe or not I was at the practice range this morning and drove straight to work. I had the clubs lying along the back seat. I had to brake a bit sharply at a junction and the whole bag gently rolled into the rear footwell. It wasn’t really worth a second thought

My 4iron was in the bag after being out for 3 months and it’ll likely come out again for a couple of months after today but I wanted to hit it at the range. I may not hit it again this year
What happens if the shaft breaks when I do next use it sometime in 2025? The clubs are about 14 months old now. I wont even remember todays ‘knock’ let alone consider it might be responsible for causing any minor damage. Like you I’ll probably assume the product had failed and have it looked at, hopeful of a no cost solution

After reading your post I’m now in panic mode & I had a look & the clubs all look fine but… 😟 its too easy done and very easily forgotten about

rystaman

Visit site
@rystaman It wont make you feel any better but believe or not I was at the practice range this morning and drove straight to work. I had the clubs lying along the back seat. I had to brake a bit sharply at a junction and the whole bag gently rolled into the rear footwell. It wasn’t really worth a second thought

My 4iron was in the bag after being out for 3 months and it’ll likely come out again for a couple of months after today but I wanted to hit it at the range. I may not hit it again this year
What happens if the shaft breaks when I do next use it sometime in 2025? The clubs are about 14 months old now. I wont even remember todays ‘knock’ let alone consider it might be responsible for causing any minor damage. Like you I’ll probably assume the product had failed and have it looked at, hopeful of a no cost solution

After reading your post I’m now in panic mode & I had a look & the clubs all look fine but… 😟 its too easy done and very easily forgotten about
Yeah of course, I mean as I seldom hit the driver also the crack could have been there for donkeys and just so happened when I took it out that day to hit i 'discovered' it so to speak.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah of course, I mean as I seldom hit the driver also the crack could have been there for donkeys and just so happened when I took it out that day to hit i 'discovered' it so to speak.

Yeah you're right. I'd be very surprised if there's a single golfer ever who hasn't had their bag fall or blow over at some point in their golfing lives. Luckily we get away with it 99/100 times

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I haven't completely shut down the offer of a discounted shaft, I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any experiences around this but looking like it's my only option right about now

I've had 1 shaft snap in 20 plus years of golf
Just this year
Project X EVENFLOW in a PXG driver
They replaced it.
But the guy that dealt with my return, the same guy I've bought all my previous PXG purchase through, actually said I'd must have caught the QC manager in a good mood as they normally didn't replace shafts that snapped in the area that mine did.
Club was only 6 months old at the time too.

Told my pro and he said most manufacturers have a similar policy, not the sure the exact specifics, but something like 4 or 5 inches above hotel adapter, is fine, more and it's not normally as straight forward

mister v

Visit site
Im a bit suprised by Taylormades response as there customer service when we had a driver face fall out (stealth driver) was great.
But as they havent helped you on this occasion id be inclined to get a new shaft off ebay or the like

rystaman

Visit site
Im a bit suprised by Taylormades response as there customer service when we had a driver face fall out (stealth driver) was great.
But as they havent helped you on this occasion id be inclined to get a new shaft off ebay or the like
I think from other people's responses also, they're fine with faces but shafts less so

Springveldt

Visit site
I've had 1 shaft snap in 20 plus years of golf
Just this year
Project X EVENFLOW in a PXG driver
They replaced it.
But the guy that dealt with my return, the same guy I've bought all my previous PXG purchase through, actually said I'd must have caught the QC manager in a good mood as they normally didn't replace shafts that snapped in the area that mine did.
Club was only 6 months old at the time too.

Told my pro and he said most manufacturers have a similar policy, not the sure the exact specifics, but something like 4 or 5 inches above hotel adapter, is fine, more and it's not normally as straight forward
Yeah, I've heard they will replace without issue if it's within 4 inches of the hosel so I'm guessing it's not that common to break further up. The only shaft I've had break on me was my 6 iron shaft in my old Ping G25 which snapped under the grip in my hands. Luckily it didn't come through the grip.

MACM85

Visit site
Shame to hear that TM haven't been able to help. I would argue that as it isn't a direct product of TM that is why you haven't had much luck. Might be worth contacting the shaft manufacturer and see what they say.