Golf travel bags

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, looking for recommendations for reasonably priced and half decent travel bags. I know that the best advice is to go for a hard case, but they’re way out of my budget at the moment. I tend to play abroad every couple of years.

The first one I bought was a tenner, lasted 2 trips. The last one was £35 and lasted one trip! So this time I’m looking to spend £50-100 in the hope that it might last 4/5 trips abroad over the next 10 years.

Anyone got any recommendations for ones that have lasted a fair few trips?

D-S

Visit site
I’ve got the XL VIP II, great bag as you can pack most clothing around it if.

Same here, with the ‘mushroom club protector’ as well this is a great product. We have used them 7 or 8 times in the past couple of years, no problem. Better than a lot of more expensive options we have had over the years.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

just get this. Piece of cake to wheel around due to the extra wheels. A true delight to use.

had mine for about 8/9 years. Still going strong

YandaB

Visit site

just get this. Piece of cake to wheel around due to the extra wheels. A true delight to use.

had mine for about 8/9 years. Still going strong
I agree with this but I picked one up from ebay for less than £100. You just need to be patient.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've taken my clubs a couple of times to Hawaii in the past. Several flights and they treat your stuff like you know what.
Top tip, put a longer stick like a broom handle in your bag, saves your driver shaft when they are throwing your stuff about without a care in the world.

D-S

Visit site
I've taken my clubs a couple of times to Hawaii in the past. Several flights and they treat your stuff like you know what.
Top tip, put a longer stick like a broom handle in your bag, saves your driver shaft when they are throwing your stuff about without a care in the world.
Agreed or use these as they give a bit of protection to the head as well and they fold down small too.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'd be taking the head off the driver if I was going to be flying anywhere. Are there drivers where this isn't possible?

Some yeah, they tend to be older models though, most new stuff is made so you can chop and change shafts etc

D-S

Visit site
I'd be taking the head off the driver if I was going to be flying anywhere. Are there drivers where this isn't possible?
If you don’t have a broom handle or one of those ‘mushroom club protectors’ all the weight of your bag plus any number of other cases piled on top may well be pushing down on your longest club, if you take the head of your driver it will be your 3 wood - so either way get a different support.

sjw

Visit site
If you don’t have a broom handle or one of those ‘mushroom club protectors’ all the weight of your bag plus any number of other cases piled on top may well be pushing down on your longest club, if you take the head of your driver it will be your 3 wood - so either way get a different support.
I'll take the head off that as well then ;)

Nah, I'm not trying to say it's not a good idea, I was actually saying I'd do both :)

Reactions: D-S

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies so far. Those macgregor ones are the ones which lasted one trip, so I’m a bit reluctant to go down that route again!

I always take any adjustable heads off, put them in the head cover and then somewhere deep in the bag. Shafts then go in tip first. Finally, I stick a mop handle in to take the brunt of any mishandling.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I have two lengths of wood in my golf bag, just longer than the driver and them put a cardboard wine box over the club heads.

I've had actual holes in the cardboard box and on the trip before last, the setting holding one of the wheels was broken. For that to happen, I reckon it must have been dropped from a great height onto the concrete apron.

So no advice regarding the actual bag to buy - it's going to be handled by baggage handlers :(

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got a decent one off gumtree. Can't remember the model. It's the sort of item that people use once and then discover in their shed a couple of years later and move on. Second hand delivers much better value for no obvious downside.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Can I post pictures again of my Orvis Battenkill golf bag and travel cover?
They are very expensive though.
But very expensive is good, right?
I'll get me coat (cheap Mountain Warehouse)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Dunlop travel bag has done me fine for occasional flights over the past 15 years or so. Don't remember how much it cost back then - but they're about £50 now. Folds down reasonable small for storage - if you strap it with a bungee cord. As regards additional club protection, I just stand my golf shoes, on end, against/among the club heads, then wrap the lot with a couple of towels. (Which leaves extra space in the suitcase). Not had any problems (yet).

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had a Sun Mountain bag, not sure which model, for lots of years and many trips.
It's still working superbly well.