Castles And Golf

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been given membership of English Heritage after moaning on for years about the cost to get into stuff. So now I will be planning loads of trips next year to see as many things as I can and combine with golf. So to kick the first request off, as we will definitely be visiting Stonehenge, any recommendations of decent places to play around that area,?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't help with Stonehenge but if we go with the title alone you could have a good trip to Northumberland. Dunstanburgh and Warkworth are both English heritage with courses close by, Dunstanburgh the stand out.

There are others with castles in the title but not part of English Heritage.

If you just want Stonehenge related courses then you might want to tweak the title. Otherwise, people might take it off track 🤭

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't help with Stonehenge but if we go with the title alone you could have a good trip to Northumberland. Dunstanburgh and Warkworth are both English heritage with courses close by, Dunstanburgh the stand out.

If you just want Stonehenge related courses then you might want to tweak the title. Otherwise, people might take it off track 🤭

as LT said, but you can add Bambrugh and Alnwick castles but you would need to pay to get in as they are privately owned.
a review of Dunstanburgh by Rick Shiels is below

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Depends how far from Stonehenge you want to travel but Castle Combe and Bowood (Chippenham area) and Players and Kendleshire near Bristol are worth a look at

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks for this. Im happy to open this up for anywhere with castles and good golf in the area. Might as well then we / I can plan the whole year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played High Post and enjoyed it
Tidworth is well rated by a lot of my mates.

I had English Heritage once and found there was not enough in the area I live to keep it. Going to give it another go next year.
National Trust on the other hand, well worth it where I live.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For anyone that is ex services or currently working as a civil servant, if you join CSSC you can do English Heritage stuff for free. Currently £4.49 a month. Lots of other discounted stuff also.

sunshine

Visit site
Wentworth looks more like a castle than Stonehenge. Three good courses too. If you’re prepared to travel then Montecastillo has a similar style.

North Foreland has a castle of sorts. Pennard has some ruins that look like a castle. Have fun!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Farnham has a Norman castle that’s EH (though it‘s not a long visit), and is a lovely old town to walk round - plus of course Farnham (Sands) is an excellent track with splendid members always happy to host visitors 😘

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Walmer and Dover castle are English heritage and well worth a visit.
You have Walmer and Kingsdown to play or RCP if you can get on.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have played High Post and enjoyed it
Tidworth is well rated by a lot of my mates.

I had English Heritage once and found there was not enough in the area I live to keep it. Going to give it another go next year.
National Trust on the other hand, well worth it where I live.
Good call
Tidworth is a decent course, you used to get the chance to see the Tanks training nearby, amazing how fast they can shift.
High Post is probably the better of the two courses

Close enough to visit Avebury as well. More impressive than Stonehenge IMVHO
I have walked the Neolithic marathon a couple of times, Avebury to Stonehenge.
Its the only chance you get each year to walk through the army training grounds on Salisbury plain

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Brancepeth castle in Durham. might be private though. There the castle at castle Eden too but that is more hotel than castle I think 😂

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Good call
Tidworth is a decent course, you used to get the chance to see the Tanks training nearby, amazing how fast they can shift.
High Post is probably the better of the two courses

Close enough to visit Avebury as well. More impressive than Stonehenge IMVHO
I have walked the Neolithic marathon a couple of times, Avebury to Stonehenge.
Its the only chance you get each year to walk through the army training grounds on Salisbury plain

And if you travel from Stonehenge to Avebury, you pass North Wilts GC too. Decent place to play on a nice day. (A bit behind Tiddy and High Post, but decent enough)