Which pre owned Driver - £200 Budget

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So, I’ve sold a few clubs to Golfclubs4cash and have £200 of shop credit at my disposal.
My current driver is a Cobra F6, regular shaft, but I’m looking to upgrade it.
I do have a tendency to fade the ball which sometimes gets me into the trees, but, left to right is useful round our course, so ideally I’d like something I can fade at will, so reluctant to go for something that makes it difficult to hit that shape.
Quite fancied giving something made by Taylor Made a try and have been looking at a few Sim’s, but also noted that a few tour players still use the M1, so I’m not averse to going down that route if the club works for me.
Never played Ping, should I be considering those - a few G400’s look like they might be in budget, or would Titleist be a good option.
I was actually looking at some Wilson Launch Pads they’ve got on there, almost new condition, but might take a hit on the resale value when I come to change it….

Thoughts on which way to go please folks, from personal experience.

Cheers.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From personal experience, I had the m2, loved it but started to struggle launching it high enough and when I did it was a slice. Until then I loved the fact it went like a bullet when I caught it well and did tend to fade it. Nice thud on impact too.

I gave up and decided to try another driver and went with the ping g410 plus for £160. I bloody love it. Mainly straight-ish to a fade, nice flight, goes further than my best hits with the m2. This was about 3 months ago and I’ve now sold the m2, fully committed to the ping.

Of course, it’s all personal isn’t it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you can get past the turbulators the G400 is, arguably, the best Ping driver with the exception of the new 430..
The Mizuno STZ is vastly underrated

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’d guess to see a notable difference from F6 you’d need at least a 2022 model which will all be above 200
Sticking around that budget you probably already know you’ll get great (better) VFM with another cobra like an F9 or a version of the ‘Max’ series, which are all sub 200

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
M2 (Gold M2, not Lime M2) or Sim 2 Max would be my choice, slightly biased though as that is the route I went. I tried the Stealth but it wasnt just as consistent for me.

Budds

Banned
Visit site
Graham. Having seen your swing, I'm convinced you'd be much better served spending the money on lessons - though you might need to sell a few more clubs first! G400 appears to be a solid driver though, albeit with not as much adjustment as other brands.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I personally think you can't go wrong with a Ping. I've had a few Ping drivers which were all great. I still hit fades with my SFT, but you can go for the Plus with the adjustable weight if that suits better.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Any of the Titliest 91x. I’ve had 3, and all of them have been fairway finders. Close behind has been Ping Gxxx. Toyed with Cobra - not bad, and toyed with Callaway - no! Not tried Mizuno.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As far as I've read, the noise issue was only with the G425. I have the G410 and it sounds absolutely fine.
Yep, my 410 is just the old ‘ping’ noise. Played with a chap who uses the 430, totally different to the usual ping noise, more of a thud. The 425 was just daft, what were they thinking.

Springveldt

Visit site
I would vote for Ping as well. Hope you got great trade in prices on your clubs as the prices on that site are mental, £250 for a used G410 driver? I know Ping clubs usually hold their price but surely they aren't selling for that 2nd hand?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you are fixed getting clubs from there you are limiting your choices for under £200.

The SIM Max/Max2 are good and fairly forgiving. Don’t get a SIM with adjustable weights unless you are capable of hitting the middle of the face fairly consistently.

Any of the Ping G4..

The Titliest TS/i 1 or 2 would be my choice as I like the look of them. I had a TSi 2 for a while and it felt like cheating, but was too spinny for me.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still have my Ping G15 driver in my garage which I have always loved, up until I took a chance on the PXG offering a little while back. For such a little price it was, it's at least 30 yds longer than my Ping, and almost as forgiving.
However, I suspect a Ping G430 will be tried at some time not to far away;)