Which pre owned Driver - £200 Budget

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice one, though not sure exactly how a putter insert is either a technology worth the name, or how it contributes to any outter performance.

It does show that technological improvement stopped in 2004, with since then, only configurability the developments. Which all hangs on the 'clubfitting' belief to be taken as any performance development. Pull the rug from under the fitting contention, and configurability is also then a nonexistent benefit.

The clock stopped in 2004 in golf technology.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Aha, side-by-side on Ebay right now.
You could sell your F6, buy both of these and have money left over.

old cobras.jpg

I've tried loads of drivers in recent years eg TM RBZ, Epic. Rogue, Mavrik, Stealth - no discernible difference to the places I hit my second shot from. Sticking with my F-Speed for now.

I do like those Callaways. But I'd sooner spend the money on 15 full sets of vintage 1960s/70s clubs than buy one new driver.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice one, though not sure exactly how a putter insert is either a technology worth the name, or how it contributes to any outter performance.

It does show that technological improvement stopped in 2004, with since then, only configurability the developments. Which all hangs on the 'clubfitting' belief to be taken as any performance development. Pull the rug from under the fitting contention, and configurability is also then a nonexistent benefit.

The clock stopped in 2004 in golf technology.
Actually it is a story which demonstrates nothing and is incomplete. Why it has anything on balls, hybrids or putter inserts when it is ostensibly about drivers is unclear.
However to address your second point what it completely omits as far as fitting is concerned is the development of launch monitors.

Whether you believe in driver fitting or otherwise to discuss without mentioning this as a technology is absurd. The concept is very much dependant on choosing driver heads of an apropriate face angle to optimise launch spin and angle for your own swing speed and angle of attack.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Actually it is a story which demonstrates nothing and is incomplete. Why it has anything on balls, hybrids or putter inserts when it is ostensibly about drivers is unclear.
However to address your second point what it completely omits as far as fitting is concerned is the development of launch monitors.

Whether you believe in driver fitting or otherwise to discuss without mentioning this as a technology is absurd. The concept is very much dependant on choosing driver heads of an apropriate face angle to optimise launch spin and angle for your own swing speed and angle of attack.
Launch monitors are not a golf club. They are a measurement tool.
They are good, and useful. But guide practice and technique, but do not improve ball hitting of themselves. They have contributed to an improved and truly scientific analysis of the golf swing. Unlike equipment, swing understanding has improved in the last 20 years. For 100 years prior to that, most of golf teaching it was absolute bolony, and half baked guessed and outright pseudoscientific laden nonsense. Taught by men who happened to hit the ball better than the rest, called themselves pros, but really didnt know either why they hit it well, let alone pass on to someone else how to hit it well. Launch monitors have contributed well to shattering some of the fictions that existed as swing guidance in that era.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Launch monitors are not a golf club. They are a measurement tool.
They are good, and useful. But guide practice and technique, but do not improve ball hitting of themselves. They have contributed to an improved and truly scientific analysis of the golf swing. Unlike equipment, swing understanding has improved in the last 20 years. For 100 years prior to that, most of golf teaching it was absolute bolony, and half baked guessed and outright pseudoscientific laden nonsense. Taught by men who happened to hit the ball better than the rest, called themselves pros, but really didnt know either why they hit it well, let alone pass on to someone else how to hit it well. Launch monitors have contributed well to shattering some of the fictions that existed as swing guidance in that era.
I am not saying launch monitors are anything other than a measurement tool.

However if you do have a difference in how clubs perform whether due to shaft stiffness head angle, weight or any other other potential myriad differences in equipment a measuring tool allows you to measure the effect of those differences accurately. It will allow you to determine whether a lighter golf club with lighter shaft is more suited to an older person with a slower swing than a stronger youth with a fast swing .

The utility of club fitting is not dependent on your strawman argument about whether clubs have improved or not but whether there are differences even within the same model about things like lie length angle and weight that may be more appropriate to some golfers than others.

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just purchased a Sim 2 Max to replace my Callaway XR16

Can’t say I am noticing any extra distance but with regards to dispersion it’s definitely a big improvement.

The shaft on the Sim 2 Max feels shorter which I am sure is helping but I am finding it a lot more consistent off the tee

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’d guess to see a notable difference from F6 you’d need at least a 2022 model which will all be above 200
Sticking around that budget you probably already know you’ll get great (better) VFM with another cobra like an F9 or a version of the ‘Max’ series, which are all sub 200

He won’t need £200 for an f9, you can but LTDx heads for 120-130 and use the current shaft from your f6.

I had the f6 and the f8 was a big bound for award, but the speed zone was even bigger as the centra weights in the back and front gave it a neutral bias with the weights there to aid spin and height control. I tried the set up with three different shafts and the weight in the front reduced the spin by around 300rpm and definitely lowered the flight.

The speed zone and even the f9 were raved about by many YouTuber’s, but you go with a speed zone just don’t get stung with the cheapo branded American golf option.