New Taylormade Gear

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
It does kind of make sense, I personally think this wouldn't be the case. Surely people would opt for the old M2 rather than the new one if this was the case?

You’ll struggle to get hold of the old one now the new model is out though.

I doubt it is the case but that’s the initial impression I get from the reviews. That they have tried to make the more expensive model outperform the cheaper model, unlike last year where the cheaper model actually performed just as well.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hahahahaha.....probably sour because him and coach didnt get an all expenses paid trip to Miami. Did you see that Trilby Tour dude (Seb) has a golf youtube channel now and he was there. In fairness to Crossfield, that dude only has about 10 videos's up and he still managed to blag the trip.

Have seen him before and wondered where it was and the Triliby Tour Final came on and there he was , what annoying little **** he is. Crossfield only carrys it 262 no use in TM world 0f 320 yard carries. I prefer Crossfield as he's honest, how can you be honest after a company fly you to Miami and put you up to give a honest opinion.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have seen him before and wondered where it was and the Triliby Tour Final came on and there he was , what annoying little **** he is. Crossfield only carrys it 262 no use in TM world 0f 320 yard carries. I prefer Crossfield as he's honest, how can you be honest after a company fly you to Miami and put you up to give a honest opinion.

I personally do not like Crossfield, but that's my opinion. But your right, why would anyone who is trying to sell their new super driver want someone sat there saying how amazing it is when it goes 270 yards down the range. Hardly a money making marketing scheme.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I personally do not like Crossfield, but that's my opinion. But your right, why would anyone who is trying to sell their new super driver want someone sat there saying how amazing it is when it goes 270 yards down the range. Hardly a money making marketing scheme.

Up to a point I'd agree but Crossfield's distances are much more in tune with the majority of people who will buy the M1 or M2.
Much as I like Rick's work, the numbers he puts up are worthless to me.
He's carrying the ball 280+
I can't even hit it 280 with roll...so his swing speed, ball speed, spin rates and distances are irrelevant.
1500 rpm with 111mph swing speed.......so how much spin am I going to get from a 95 mph swing..?
Crossfield's numbers, while still out of my reach, are much more realistic and give me an idea of how far I might be able to launch it.
It would actually be more beneficial to have reviews done by the likes of Ko, Hull and the rest as their numbers would be much closer to that of Joe Public who's going to go and she'll out £300+ on a driver...
Surely real world reviews are of more use to us....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Up to a point I'd agree but Crossfield's distances are much more in tune with the majority of people who will buy the M1 or M2.
I can't even hit it 280 with roll...so his swing speed, ball speed, spin rates and distances are irrelevant.
1500 rpm with 111mph swing speed.......so how much spin am I going to get from a 95 mph swing..?
Crossfield's numbers, while still out of my reach, are much more realistic and give me an idea of how far I might be able to launch it.
It would actually be more beneficial to have reviews done by the likes of Ko, Hull and the rest as their numbers would be much closer to that of Joe Public who's going to go and she'll out £300+ on a driver...

what we need is a blog along the lines of "Me and my Numpty" or "Your golf Numpty"

where one of the pro types waxes lyrical about a certain bit of kit, then a normal numpty with a dodgy swing comes in and tries out the bit of kit

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
what we need is a blog along the lines of "Me and my Numpty" or "Your golf Numpty"

where one of the pro types waxes lyrical about a certain bit of kit, then a normal numpty with a dodgy swing comes in and tries out the bit of kit

Form an orderly queue here! I wonder if GM are missing a trick with some of their online stuff, especially when lucky readers and forum members go on these testing days, and that they should perhaps put some before and after numbers in the video content that would relate to handicap golfers.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Rick does this.
He has a 13 handicapper come in and test kit.
In reality it's of far more use to us than when Rick sends one 300 long and 30 left..

Fish

Banned
Visit site

With the nett result being all drivers and any equipment reviewed like that sitting gathering dust on the shelves. All marketing however finely tuned will be aimed at what can be achieved by that said equipment and thus can be aspired to by potential buyers, whether it's achievable to reach those numbers by us mere mortals is irrelevant, it's the wetting of the appetite and sewing the seed of what it can do that's makes people buy stuff in search of the holy grail.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just seen RS review of the new TM M2 irons how strong are those lofts, at least Rick has a little chuckle.

I think he hooked everyone.

I like Crossfields reviews but I believe his honest assessment has upset someone at TM headquarters.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Form an orderly queue here! I wonder if GM are missing a trick with some of their online stuff, especially when lucky readers and forum members go on these testing days, and that they should perhaps put some before and after numbers in the video content that would relate to handicap golfers.

But how many numbers would you have to put in and how many would be dismissed to get true averages, were handicap golfers because we're inconsistent (****), our numbers mean nothing to a fellow handicap golfer who may slice it & hook it multiple times in a round, so there not missing any trick IMO, yes we can produce good before & after figures, but I don't need a new £400 driver to do that, I can do that now with a shitload of bad uns in between!

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rick does this.
He has a 13 handicapper come in and test kit.
In reality it's of far more use to us than when Rick sends one 300 long and 30 left..

I watch a lot of "dobbys" reviews.. even though I find him a bit annoying his reviews are very honest (he even slates any driver thats white ... which didnt stop TM sending rick an m2 this time so maybe they just think Marks reviews are pants lol)

some of the best reviews are by him because he is as near to our level as anyone really on youtube but because he is friends with rick he has access to the clubs to test them

was a nice touch by rick to have him surprised with a custom fit set of Callaway XR pro irons (in the spec he knew would fit rob as he has fitted his clubs before) to say thanks for doing the reviews as he does them in his own time and doesnt get paid for them

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Your right Steve. I've yet to see any YouTuber really slate a club.

That said, I'm a golf nerd and watch them all, just to learn a bit about the product if anything as I find it interesting. If I'm ever going to buy, then I'll go try a load myself that I like the look of and make up my own mind.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your right Steve. I've yet to see any YouTuber really slate a club.

That said, I'm a golf nerd and watch them all, just to learn a bit about the product if anything as I find it interesting. If I'm ever going to buy, then I'll go try a load myself that I like the look of and make up my own mind.

Watch rick shiels mid handicapper reviews , rob slates a fair few

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just seen RS review of the new TM M2 irons how strong are those lofts, at least Rick has a little chuckle.

I think he hooked everyone.

I like Crossfields reviews but I believe his honest assessment has upset someone at TM headquarters.

played with a guy today who had a new set to TM irons, on the 2nd hole layed up short of the ditch with his 5 iron ( its only 200 to carry) stuck it straight in it and have a perplexed look. one of the other guys who knows a fair bit about kit looked at the 5 iron and asked what loft it was... 20 was the reply. that will be why then its a strong 3 iron in real life:rofl::rofl:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure Crossfield (or many of the others) can be independent. They all have kit provided and mega trips planned with manufacturers, sometimes some clubs get less than glowing reviews, but for instance have you ever seen a Callaway release questioned by Crossfield? Can all of their drivers/irons be that good (they have a few every few months) Is it really independent when he travels the world reviewing course, all provided by a golf travel company?

No point in watching these hits bombs, wait for the product and decide for yourself. Can you look at club and be happy with it? Can you hit it reliably, and/or get more from it than your own club? Can you afford it? Answer positive for all of them and you'll be happy .... Some clubs will be 2 yds better and some might be 15 yds but your situation is different to everyone else!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've never seen Crossfield slate a product so his face today when he spat the dummy out was hilarious. If I was TM I'd cut my ties with him completely. Plenty of others out there doing the same thing. I've watched the mid-handicapper reviews on Rick Shiels site and it's more realistic and if he tried to be less funny and focus on the testing he'd be far better

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

With other clubs in the bag I would agree, but not with a driver. If I look in on Crossfield, the distances I would see him hitting would not make me think that this driver is the next big thing.