Masters 2019

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You are really struggling here. I'm saying the guy ranked 51st in the world should be a genuine factor in a golf tournament that could easily accommodate 100 to 115 guys.

Your statement can be easily flipped to suggest that you are struggling to grasp that the 51st ranked golfer doesn't qualify. They know the qualification criteria, they haven't made it.

The Masters has set its criteria, like it or not they're in charge and set the rules. Numbers, invites, ranking whatever - the criteria is set and golfers know that.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Your statement can be easily flipped to suggest that you are struggling to grasp that the 51st ranked golfer doesn't qualify. They know the qualification criteria, they haven't made it.

The Masters has set its criteria, like it or not they're in charge and set the rules. Numbers, invites, ranking whatever - the criteria is set and golfers know that.

I'm aware, but it's a completely valid point to want a few extra top players in and have a deeper field. There is really very little difference in ability / scoring average / winnings etc between the top 50 and the guys 50 to 75.

Tiny fractions.

Especially with the way the rankings work - Furyk could easilly be 49th next week without playing (in fact he probably will be higher next week).

For me, it weakens the tournament to have so few of the top 100 in the field. Back in the day, the game of golf was not as deep. Now someone ranked 400 in the world could easily win a higher level tour event and be competitive at a major. I'm not saying someone ranked 400 should get in, but there is def room for a few more top players.

last week Correy Conners was 196th in the world (in October he was 423rd!). Now he's sitting T11 in the Masters.

And of course, while it's their ball, and they are in charge - they do adapt to pressure, they do make changes. So I'd rather state my view and hope that influential journalists or players would do similar more often, rather than licking the backsides of the committee.

D

Deleted member 15344

True but professional enough not to let that affect him this early. Rory at 20-1 on willhill, for me looks a decent each way bet still.

Rory must go sub 70 today though, be -2 or better overall or he's done for this year methinks.

Rory again was so close yesterday from the shots we saw , seemed at times his second shots were just going a bit too much. There were 4 putts that just leaked by the edge by mm . Can see him shooting a good score today later in the day. Maybe see him 2 back from the lead

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think they will increase the amount of players.

With the current set up it is very likely that you will have a bunch of top quality "names" at the top of the leader board come Sunday.

You saw what happened when the match play which allows the top 64 in. Viewings and interested dwindled near the end at the prospect of kuchar and kisner.

The master wants big names, the viewers want big names and the current set up does it's best to make this happen.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm aware, but it's a completely valid point to want a few extra top players in and have a deeper field. There is really very little difference in ability / scoring average / winnings etc between the top 50 and the guys 50 to 75.

Tiny fractions.

Especially with the way the rankings work - Furyk could easilly be 49th next week without playing (in fact he probably will be higher next week).

For me, it weakens the tournament to have so few of the top 100 in the field. Back in the day, the game of golf was not as deep. Now someone ranked 400 in the world could easily win a higher level tour event and be competitive at a major. I'm not saying someone ranked 400 should get in, but there is def room for a few more top players.

last week Correy Conners was 196th in the world (in October he was 423rd!). Now he's sitting T11 in the Masters.

And of course, while it's their ball, and they are in charge - they do adapt to pressure, they do make changes. So I'd rather state my view and hope that influential journalists or players would do similar more often, rather than licking the backsides of the committee.

So where would you draw the line? As soon as you draw a line, no matter where it is 50,75,100 or whatever the guy who is 51, 76, 101 will feel aggrieved by missing out by 1 place and argue he would have as good a chance as the guy one place above and the field would be strengthened with his inclusion.

That's not to say the field wouldn't be stronger with more players, but there has to be a line drawn for qualification purposes, Augusta has drawn their lines and won't change it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So where would you draw the line? As soon as you draw a line, no matter where it is 50,75,100 or whatever the guy who is 51, 76, 101 will feel aggrieved by missing out by 1 place and argue he would have as good a chance as the guy one place above and the field would be strengthened with his inclusion.

That's not to say the field wouldn't be stronger with more players, but there has to be a line drawn for qualification purposes, Augusta has drawn their lines and won't change it

I think the line should be similar to that of the Open, US Open, US PGA. You wont go too far wrong if you follow on similar lines I would have thought.

As we are all stating however, it wont change in any significant way, it is not how Augusta work.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe draw the line at the same as the other majors ?

1. The Open Champions aged 60 or under on 21 July 2019

2. The Open Champions for 2009–20183. Top 10 finishers and ties in the 2018 Open Championship
4. Top 50 players in the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) for Week 21, 2019
26 May

5. Top 30 on the 2018 Race to Dubai

6. Last three BMW PGA Championship winners

7. Top 5 players, not already exempt, within the top 20 of the 2019 Race to Dubai through the BMW International Open
23 June

8. Last five U.S. Open winners
9. Last five Masters Tournament winners
14 April

10. Last six PGA Championship winners

11. Last three Players Championship winners

12. The 30 qualifiers for the 2018 Tour Championship

13. Top 5 players, not already exempt, within the top 20 of the 2019 FedEx Cup points list through the Travelers Championship
23 June

14. Winner of the 2018 Open de Argentina

15. Playing members of the 2018 Ryder Cupteams
16. Winner of the 2018 Asian Tour Order of Merit17. Winner of the 2018 PGA Tour of AustralasiaOrder of Merit

18. Winner of the 2018–19 Sunshine Tour Order of Merit

19. Winner of the 2018 Japan Open
Yuki Inamori

20. Winner of the 2019 Asia-Pacific Diamond Cup Golf
12 May

21. Top 2 on the 2018 Japan Golf Tour Official Money List

22. Top player, not already exempt, on the 2019 Japan Golf Tour Official Money List through the Japan Golf Tour Championship
9 June

23. Winner of the 2018 Senior Open Championship

24. Winner of the 2019 Amateur Championship
22 June

25. Winner of the 2018 U.S. Amateur

26. Winners of the 2019 European Amateur
29 June

27. Recipient of the 2018 Mark H. McCormack Medal

28. Winner of the 2018 Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship
Takumi Kanaya (a)

Open Qualifying Series
The Open Qualifying Series (OQS) consists of twelve events from the six major tours and the Korean Tour.[6] Places are available to the leading players (not otherwise exempt) who finish in the top n and ties. In the event of ties, positions go to players ranked highest according to that week's OWGR.

I agree on the Top 50 in the world - all the majors have that same cut off point

But for me as it’s a major it should be balanced across all the tours and not just the PGA

The qualifying for the other three majors adds more balance across the three main tours plus there is also the chance of the odd few getting in through qualifying. Also removes have Old winners just filling up places when they miss the cut year in year out

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't think I've ever seen a player hole as many from off the green as BDC.

Big day today for Rose and McIlroy. Molinari well placed, and quiet with it.

Great round from Poulter and Rahm but Americans dominating. With Koepka, DJ and BDC out about 3 hours before McIlroy and Woods, that could dictate how some guys approach their 2nd round, especially if the leaders have created additional daylight. As a Rory fan, making the cut and being 5 back would be okay going into the weekend. On yesterdays performance I would place BDC as favourite.

Loved Wallace's interview afterwards. Maybe now he'll believe the curse!!??

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Tiny fractions.

Congratulations Conners made the entry criteria. What's your point?

Wolf

Visit site
Rory again was so close yesterday from the shots we saw , seemed at times his second shots were just going a bit too much. There were 4 putts that just leaked by the edge by mm . Can see him shooting a good score today later in the day. Maybe see him 2 back from the lead
Just listened to an interview with him and he pretty much said similar to what you've written LP. He did say his issue with putts though was nothing to do with the greens or his stroke but that he was over reading them on the front 9 and tried to compensate for that on the back by under reading them, he finished the interview stating he was off to putting green to work on his pre putt routine and how he reads putts.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
It would be great if the committee widened the net a bit. Include the winners on the European Tour and have a few LFQ events like the US Open. Hope they do change it up a bit. I would happily see them cut the playing privileges of the past winners to 60 years old (they can come for the dinner and the par 3) but I doubt that one will ever change.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont understand the negative press some people give the Masters! It's the bets annual golfing tournament, only surpassed by the Ryder Cup, which is every 4 years!

The entry criteria doesnt need to change. It works as it is. We all know that, it's special to qualify or be invited to the Masters. Look at the reaction from the players who dont make it. Luke Donald misses it, he keeps his pins, as I'm sure many do.

Someone mentioned make the qualification the same as the other majors. Why? They are the same (or similar), there's room enough to have one major which does things a little differently, which the Masters definitely does.

Leave the best major alone, it's the best annual golfing event bar none!

Long live the Masters. Bloody love Masters week...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why do you think its too large ?

It’s the same size as the US Open and US PGA - are they also too large ?

Doesn't it take about 9 hours just to get all the groups tee'd off at the Open?
(also the guys first out have something like 28 hrs between rounds while the guys last out will have about 11)

It probably is a bit too big a field

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am happy enough that DeChambeau came out on top yesterday. Not backed him to win overall, but had him down as a £5 free bet to cover his performance yesterday. Ricky Fowler also came good on a freebie. Just now need my main choices (Fleetwood, Molinari, Stenson) to pull up their socks & make their move.