Masters 2019

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where does it say or in fact where does anyone say that his opinion is better or anyone else’s opinion any less valid ?

Why do people have to feel the need to get a scale of each person’s opinion.

No one has said that you must agree with him because he is golf journalist

It seems at times people just can’t accept the right for others to have an opinion and actually look at going at the person as opposed to debating the opinion itself - a guy writes for a golf magazine - the response is to attack the magazine ?!

It’s not rocket science is it - some want the viewing of The Masters to be better , some want the field to be wider - that’s just an opinion and one so far especially the viewing hasn’t actually come and countered with a reason why the coverage should continue to be restricted - the normal response so far has been - Don’t watch or it’s never going to change ?

I think the response to posting the link was a little extreme and harsh to the journalist, but what was the point of posting the article in the first place? Other than to pat yourself on the back that someone else shares the same view as you. It was pointless, it didn't make you any more right that someone arbitrary GM journalist shares your opinion and it added nothing to the discussion, it just riled up the people you were in a discussion with even more. I don't agree with the reaction, but shouldn't be a surprise that people have reacted how they have.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the response to posting the link was a little extreme and harsh to the journalist, but what was the point of posting the article in the first place? Other than to pat yourself on the back that someone else shares the same view as you. It was pointless, it didn't make you any more right that someone arbitrary GM journalist shares your opinion and it added nothing to the discussion, it just riled up the people you were in a discussion with even more. I don't agree with the reaction, but shouldn't be a surprise that people have reacted how they have.

It was an article that was also discussed a few points that was also being discussed on here - it happens regularly

It actually only “riled” up one person , someone who wasn’t involved in the debate until the article was posted , and then someone else reacted to it - it’s also no surprise that both have negative feelings towards Golf Monthly and as stated just attacked the magazine as opposed to the points being discussed in the article

No one said it made someone more right or made an opinion more valid it’s an article that adds to discussion points. But as we can see people attacked the author as opposed to the content

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It was an article that was also discussed a few points that was also being discussed on here - it happens regularly

It actually only “riled” up one person , someone who wasn’t involved in the debate until the article was posted , and then someone else reacted to it - it’s also no surprise that both have negative feelings towards Golf Monthly and as stated just attacked the magazine as opposed to the points being discussed in the article

No one said it made someone more right or made an opinion more valid it’s an article that adds to discussion points. But as we can see people attacked the author as opposed to the content

Simply because the content is nothing new its a rehashed age old debate. Is it revolutionary or enlightening? No is the answer.

Is it an age old debate? Yes.

You tried to throw in someone else's work/opinion to back up your dislike for the Masters then get upset when people disagree? As for my dislike of GM, well apply that to all golf magazines as they're done to death, content is crap 99% of the time and like the article you quoted - rehashed age old debates and arguments don't sell them to me.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Dilema for me. I have backed Bryson, but dislike both him and his golf swing. Do I want him to win?
I am also on Koepka and Barn Rat, so there are potentially others I can support.

Not that my support matters a jot. A bit like shouting at the tv during a footy match, but it makes viewing more involving.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dilema for me. I have backed Bryson, but dislike both him and his golf swing. Do I want him to win?
I am also on Koepka and Barn Rat, so there are potentially others I can support.

Not that my support matters a jot. A bit like shouting at the tv during a footy match, but it makes viewing more involving.
Cheer the other 2 on until they can no longer win,then cheer Bryson on.

One of the good reasons never to back someone you don’t like.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Still a criteria though, whichever way you dress it up!
Maybe Eddie Pepperrell is pissed off making his debut this week? Maybe it should of been 2 years ago when he was ranked 458th in the World.
I can see the argument that it shouldn’t be a Major due to its entry criteria, but it seems the only ones moaning about it are Joe Public, everything I see from the Players is the total opposite.

You are really struggling here. I'm saying the guy ranked 51st in the world should be a genuine factor in a golf tournament that could easily accommodate 100 to 115 guys.

D

Deleted member 18588

Care to tell me where I have attacked Golf Monthly?

Criticism is not an attack and I provided the reasons, both in my post and to GM when I ceased being a subscriber.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Anyway to the incidental things like the golf

1st Major off to a good start I thought. Watching so much of the featured groups rather than the regular cut from one player to another does give an even better sense into the Tour pace of play, man they’re slow. I think they need that machine they use to measure movement in glaciers to track Garcia on the greens

Course looks to its usual standard & the close ups of the greens make them seem in better condition than the last carpet I bought. Strange to see players still tapping down ‘something’ after a missed putt, given they can repair pretty much anything before they putt (must just be a habit)

Nice mixed up looking leaderboard too, roll on day 2

(the spitting’s not fun to see)

D

Deleted member 1147

The Masters is not an invitational, save for a few players the committee choose to play. Everyone else has earned the right to play, based on the qualifying criteria. Just like at the USPGA or the Open or the US Open.

Past Champions have earned the right to play, by winning
Amateur Champions have earned the right, by winning
Last 5 years Major winners have earned the right, by winning
Top 50 in the world have earned the right, by being in the top 50
Top 30 FEDEX have earned the right, by being in the top 30
etc etc etc

If a players hasn't qualified for the Masters it's because they haven't earned the right to play. They all know the rules & if they haven;t managed to qualify it means they just weren't good enough at the relevant date.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does Rahm create so much speed from his short backswing it’s shorter than mine.

Good start for Poults would love to see him do well.

Also Phil Mickelson especially after his stupid attempt at eleven.

Looking forward to today and a great weekends golf.

D

Deleted member 18588

How does Rahm create so much speed from his short backswing it’s shorter than mine.

Good start for Poults would love to see him do well.

Also Phil Mickelson especially after his stupid attempt at eleven.

Looking forward to today and a great weekends golf.

But is it any shorter than Finau?

I am no swing guru so I don't know if it is the short back swing that helps both create so much lag and, therefore, clubhead speed.

D

Deleted member 16999

You are really struggling here. I'm saying the guy ranked 51st in the world should be a genuine factor in a golf tournament that could easily accommodate 100 to 115 guys.
Not struggling in any way, shape or form, you are picking a figure that fits your point of view, every, absolutely every event has a qualifying criteria whether that be 50, 75, 120 etc, there will always be 1 person who misses out, I look forward to the other Majors and you criticising their criteria and how you feel it could be improved. As this years event is now underway I’ll stick to watching the golf without worrying which players maybe missing out.

One further point, I’m already looking forward to next years Masters when once again we can go over the same old arguments.(y)

U

User62651

Rory could be 11 back by the time he tees off today

True but professional enough not to let that affect him this early. Rory at 20-1 on willhill, for me looks a decent each way bet still.

Rory must go sub 70 today though, be -2 or better overall or he's done for this year methinks.

bagcarrier

Visit site
I’d imagine if you asked the average TV watching golfer it might be near the top, even the top. I’d wager if you asked people who study golf or courses in a bit greater depth there’d be a few that beat it; Pine Valley and Cypress Point for two.

I will go to Augusta National with the " average TV watching golfers " and you can take the back slappers to Pine Valley. After that I would go to Cypress Point for more McKenzie.

Thanks for the welcome.

bagcarrier

Visit site
Hopefully the greens firm up and dry out for today as the boomers on form ate it up yesterday.

I really enjoyed the way Poulter played and hope he keeps it up.