Masters 2019

Wolf

Visit site
Hopefully it'll take off and take him off the screens forever

Now that would be a magic masters moment

This was asked yesterday. It's a shocker and I'm not hearing what he is saying, I'm just transfixed by the wig.

Same here've not heard a word he's said, just transfixed by the dodgy syrup he's wearing

D

Deleted member 1147

You could have Moe Norman’s accuracy, but if you hole nothing between 5 & 20 ft you’ll score crap!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could have Moe Norman’s accuracy, but if you hole nothing between 5 & 20 ft you’ll score crap!

Have a watch of crossfields 300 yards or no more 3 putt video he did a few weeks ago.. really puts in perspective the importance of the driver

D

Deleted member 1147

Are you going to write to sky to tell McGinley, Dougherty & Butch that they’re wrong about Rory’s putting being his downfall yesterday?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Have a watch of crossfields 300 yards or no more 3 putt video he did a few weeks ago.. really puts in perspective the importance of the driver

Yes, to an amateur 300 yards would help. Rory already does that though.
Usually when discussing the winners at events, it’ll be the guy who holes out well that wins as they’re all capable of bombing it.

I can’t find it, but where did Rory rate in regards total driving. As that’ll say whether he performed well or not compared to the field.

Edit to say that Rory’s yearly stats have him hitting just shy of 60% fairways this season. So I’m not sure missing 1/2 extra is a direct indicator of his poor round yesterday. Good old stats.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually when discussing the winners at events, it’ll be the guy who holes out well that wins as they’re all capable of bombing it.

I can’t find it, but where did Rory rate in regards total driving. As that’ll say whether he performed well or not compared to the field.

Edit to say that Rory’s yearly stats have him hitting just shy of 60% fairways this season. So I’m not sure missing 1/2 extra is a direct indicator of his poor round yesterday. Good old stats.

Yesterday he was tied 70th in the field for driving.. that’s not his normal standard

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Exactly. When Tiger Woods was in his pomp, the thing his fellow pros commented on was his ability to hole clutch putts. Don't seem to remember his driving being mentioned as a strength by them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly. When Tiger Woods was in his pomp, the thing his fellow pros commented on was his ability to hole clutch putts. Don't seem to remember his driving being mentioned as a strength by them.

It was tiger who shaped the game into the distance chasing it is today

He pushed everyone to get longer and longer.. he dominated the field in distance which gave him the edge to get it closer.. so he could make more putts

That’s why they tiger proofed courses by making them longer

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I noticed Rahm shouting "Fore" and indicating to the right off one tee. Say what you like about the Masters Committee, if they can get pros to shout Fore they are doing something right.

Nothing to do with the Masters Committee, more so because he's not an obnoxious idiot. Phil's been all over the course today and I've not seen him shout fore once.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When Tiger was in his pomp he was hitting it past everyone by some way. That may be forgotten now because his driving is now his downfall but not back then. Saying that his putting, particularly his clutch putting was always phenomenal. (PJ typed quicker than me, hence the seemingly repeated post)

At the end of the day the very best do everything well.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

That's because 'Strokes Gained' wasn't a thing back then. You really should read Mark Broadie's 'Every Shot Counts'.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yesterday he was tied 70th in the field for driving.. that’s not his normal standard

Is that for total driving. Which accounts for distance and accuracy. Your first post said he was 70th for accuracy. That doesn't paint the full picture in regards to the importance of the driving....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that for total driving. Which accounts for distance and accuracy. Your first post said he was 70th for accuracy. That doesn't paint the full picture in regards to the importance of the driving....

Rory McIlroy led the field in average driving distance (324.2 yards) but was T70 in driving accuracy after hitting only seven of his 14 fairways.

That’s what I found and 70th for accuracy apparently

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It was tiger who shaped the game into the distance chasing it is today

He pushed everyone to get longer and longer.. he dominated the field in distance which gave him the edge to get it closer.. so he could make more putts

That’s why they tiger proofed courses by making them longer

Whilst they clearly did make courses longer. I can genuinely say that of all the memories I have of tigers greatest moments. His drives don't feature in them. The amount of 10-15 ft putts he holed weren't helped by his drives.

He was never the most accurate off the tee. It was his wedges and irons that made the difference imo. He could hit a 4 iron with more accuracy than his rivals hit 9irons.