Masters 2019

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Rory McIlroy led the field in average driving distance (324.2 yards) but was T70 in driving accuracy after hitting only seven of his 14 fairways.

That’s what I found and 70th for accuracy apparently

Which doesn't give any indicator to whether it was a bad day's driving or not. Accuracy doesn't determine strokes gained.

It's a stat that can be used to paint a picture, but not a whole one. I'm not disputing his driving may have influenced yesterday's round as I didn't watch it. But on the tour the have a total driving option which is compared to the field based on stroked gained. That's the only one that matters.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Whilst they clearly did make courses longer. I can genuinely say that of all the memories I have of tigers greatest moments. His drives don't feature in them. The amount of 10-15 ft putts he holed weren't helped by his drives.

He was never the most accurate off the tee. It was his wedges and irons that made the difference imo. He could hit a 4 iron with more accuracy than his rivals hit 9irons.

Somebody else gets it. (y)

D

Deleted member 1147

Tiger was always long, but, except for the 2000-2002 period, wasn’t overly accurate off the tee.
But he holed out, got up & down and hit irons like s stud.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst they clearly did make courses longer. I can genuinely say that of all the memories I have of tigers greatest moments. His drives don't feature in them. The amount of 10-15 ft putts he holed weren't helped by his drives.

He was never the most accurate off the tee. It was his wedges and irons that made the difference imo. He could hit a 4 iron with more accuracy than his rivals hit 9irons.

Fair enough he just smashed that putt in on 9! Jesus. What a putt

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

Yes but he was putting from 10-15 feet when most of the field would have been putting from 15-30 feet because his driving was allowing him to hit more lofted clubs into greens instead of 4 irons.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes but he was putting from 10-15 feet when most of the field would have been putting from 15-30 feet because his driving was allowing him to hit more lofted clubs into greens instead of 4 irons.

There are clearly too camps on here.. people who live by “drive for show putt for dough” and those who buy into strokes gained