Jacket & Tie

JGolfer

Visit site
So I have an interview for a membership to a club I applied for, however dress code stated is jacket and tie (I do not own any formal attire).

I feel like an idiot asking what that means. I had planned on wearing pair of brown Chelsea boots, jeans turtleneck (will change to white shirt and borrow a tie from a friend based on "jacket and tie"), with a patterned navy blazer over.

Reackon I should fire an email off asking if that is appropriate or what they deem appropriate?

Seems rather formal dress code for me, friend thinks, formal pants, with shoes, shirt tie, and matching suit jacket. But if that was the case, I would cancel my application since not buying clothes for an interview :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
its quite simple....Jacket, ie blazer, shirt, tie, trousers/chino's would do is suppose it is summer and shoes, or suit and tie.

You want to look smart and are keen to join? they are more likely to look favourable on you. its all about making an effort, if you can go out of your way to turn up properly attired, you will have a better chance of getting in.

turn up in jeans and tee *** kiss goodbye TBH, thats just like sticking two fingers up.

if you can't be bothered to wear a simple jacket and tie as the club requests, i wouldn't bother going TBH

JGolfer

Visit site
if you can't be bothered to wear a simple jacket and tie as the club requests, i wouldn't bother going TBH

Not sure why this is even included in your post. I mention the outfit I'm wearing and it includes both a blazer and tie.

I have asked if they people think that is appropriate. You mention at the start it would be..Then seem to go entirely off topic.

But yes if they told me a blazer is not appropriate and i needed a formal jacket. I wouldn't bother attending since I'm not going to spend money on something I'd wear once then never wear again.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Out of interest...how old are you and where is this? (some one one here might know more about the club)

It's a long while since I heard a club specify "jacket and tie" for interview....but being over 50, I'd wear that anyway unless the dress code said "casual!!" My 19 year old nephew would laugh at that!!

What you propose wearing sounds fine, but if you can swap out the jeans for something like chinos or non-jeany trousers, I would. (some clubs have a mortal dislike of jeans.... maybe Old Tom Morris was strangled by a pair! :) )

Anyway... respect is a two way street, and you'll want to join somewhere you feel welcome and comfortable, so if they don't make you feel comfortable, go somewhere else!! You'll probably find it's a bit more relaxed once you get in the door, so give them a chance!!

Mind you, if I was mad keen to play a great course, I'd put up with some silliness to get in the door!!

JGolfer

Visit site
Out of interest...how old are you and where is this? (some one one here might know more about the club)

It's a long while since I heard a club specify "jacket and tie" for interview....but being over 50, I'd wear that anyway unless the dress code said "casual!!" My 19 year old nephew would laugh at that!!

What you propose wearing sounds fine, but if you can swap out the jeans for something like chinos or non-jeany trousers, I would. (some clubs have a mortal dislike of jeans.... maybe Old Tom Morris was strangled by a pair! :) )

Anyway... respect is a two way street, and you'll want to join somewhere you feel welcome and comfortable, so if they don't make you feel comfortable, go somewhere else!! You'll probably find it's a bit more relaxed once you get in the door, so give them a chance!!

Mind you, if I was mad keen to play a great course, I'd put up with some silliness to get in the door!!

I'm in my early 20s. When I originally spoke to them I asked about dress code for the clubhouse etc and they said jeans are what most wear and it's very casual. So it caught me abit off guard. I think I have some chinos I can throw in instead of the jeans.

The course is in Liverpool

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely not jeans if they are asking for a jacket and tie.

Long time since I have even heard of an interview but there again I have been at the same club for over 30 years.

Clubhouse wear within our club is virtually anything but we still have jacket and tie for some matches.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The cheapest way to get a jacket if you do not have one is to go to somewhere like Asda and look in the school clothing section. Mine has served me well for years.

Think of the cost as nothing more than a couple of sleeves of golf balls.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just speak to them and find out , that way you will know the definitive answer - it maybe that then invitation just hasn’t been updated - chinos , shirt and blazer looks smart and should suit most clubs but you will only know for sure if you give them a call

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its quite simple....Jacket, ie blazer, shirt, tie, trousers/chino's would do is suppose it is summer and shoes, or suit and tie.

You want to look smart and are keen to join? they are more likely to look favourable on you. its all about making an effort, if you can go out of your way to turn up properly attired, you will have a better chance of getting in.

turn up in jeans and tee *** kiss goodbye TBH, thats just like sticking two fingers up.

tbh if I applied to a club to join now and they ask me for an interview in jacket and tie think Id take the dont turn up approach and im in my mid 40s, such an outdated concept for me. pair of golf trousers, a polo shirt and jumper if needed, you know, golf attire for a golf club, what Id plan on turning up in as a member each week, they could then judge me at face value

User20204

Visit site
tbh if I applied to a club to join now and they ask me for an interview in jacket and tie think Id take the dont turn up approach and im in my mid 40s, such an outdated concept for me. pair of golf trousers, a polo shirt and jumper if needed, you know, golf attire for a golf club, what Id plan on turning up in as a member each week, they could then judge me at face value

I'm with you, if I got a letter stating that was what I had to wear for an interview, then I wouldn't even bother trying to join a club like that. May be I'm behind the times but even an interview alone sounds like something from a prehistoric era.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm wondering how many years before both the word blazer and the actual item of a blazer is obsolete? When I hear that word I think of old ex-soldiers and golf clubs in the 50's. I wouldn't even know where to look for one? Is Greenwoods still going?

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn’t wear a jacket & tie for an interview at a golf club. I haven’t worn a tie for work for 5 years, I used to for club matches but we’ve done away with that now. Club match @ hayling in a couple of weeks insist on it I think.
Unless I was dining at a place that insisted it I wouldn’t bother.

The interview is a 2 way thing, if they insist on a formal attire across the club maybe they aren’t right!!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with you, if I got a letter stating that was what I had to wear for an interview, then I wouldn't even bother trying to join a club like that. May be I'm behind the times but even an interview alone sounds like something from a prehistoric era.
Yep, I reckon it’s an indication of the mindset of the club.
I’m all for a ‘golfing’ dress code. I don’t wanna see a wife beater on the course but an insistence on a jacket & tie doesn’t really exist in normal life.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I have an interview for a membership to a club I applied for, however dress code stated is jacket and tie (I do not own any formal attire).

I feel like an idiot asking what that means. I had planned on wearing pair of brown Chelsea boots, jeans turtleneck (will change to white shirt and borrow a tie from a friend based on "jacket and tie"), with a patterned navy blazer over.

Reackon I should fire an email off asking if that is appropriate or what they deem appropriate?

Seems rather formal dress code for me, friend thinks, formal pants, with shoes, shirt tie, and matching suit jacket. But if that was the case, I would cancel my application since not buying clothes for an interview :D
Change jeans for chinos and you'll be fine. Go for the interview - nothing to lose. If they seem to be stuffy you don't have to join both don't miss out on an otherwise decent club.
But ask them questions about their various dress conventions and times applicable. eg in the dining room, lounge, bar, is there a spike bar. Some clubs bar car park changing (often because it loses the chance of players going to the bar).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure why this is even included in your post. I mention the outfit I'm wearing and it includes both a blazer and tie.

I have asked if they people think that is appropriate. You mention at the start it would be..Then seem to go entirely off topic.

But yes if they told me a blazer is not appropriate and i needed a formal jacket. I wouldn't bother attending since I'm not going to spend money on something I'd wear once then never wear again.
Rather than cancelling you could just risk it and go wearing the jacket you already own. If they're not happy then you don't join anyway, but if they don't mention it you're fine.

Personally I wouldn't even bother going to a club that insisted on jacket & tie for anything, far too antiquated and out of touch for my tastes, but that's up to you. ;)

D

Deleted member 21258

Yeah wear trousers, jacket, shirt and tie especially if it has been mentioned on the invite.

Had to do it a number of times, just take as it as part of the course for 'older' type of courses and some courses are well worth doing it for.:)

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
For me,this is all kinds of wrong for future of the game,I’m laughing to myself at the reaction this would get if we asked a room full of 18yr olds if they’d consider this and give the great game a go🤔 I’ve been a member of a golf club somewhere in the world for the last 25 yrs and I wouldn’t give it a moments thought,they of course may not want me😎

JGolfer

Visit site
Rather than cancelling you could just risk it and go wearing the jacket you already own. If they're not happy then you don't join anyway, but if they don't mention it you're fine.

Personally I wouldn't even bother going to a club that insisted on jacket & tie for anything, far too antiquated and out of touch for my tastes, but that's up to you. ;)

I am glad that it seems I am not alone, as others have mentioned they feel the same.

I thought this was something of a past time. I would just assume, as long as I am not a murder, have manners, show etiquette on the course and of course that I am paying my membership that should be the only thing that matters.

But I guess I will give it a whack and see what happens, if doesn't work out, I can always go back to playing the local municipal and getting balls hit at me because of a lack of patience :)

On a side note, I don't see how this would attract new people / young people. Spoke to a few friends about this, and all just laughed at this request, some golfers some non golfers. Gives across of a bit of a stuffy / snobbish vibe (A reason why a lot of my friends around my age don't play golf is they view the people who play it as very stuffy) Hard to argue my corner when a club throws this request at me!