Is it April 1st

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had one for a while many years ago. Worked ok but I improved my chipping by practicing more and found an alternative for the 'ideal for a chipper' shots by using a hybrid.

D-S

Visit site
Never understood the pomposity of the scorn poured against these clubs.
Friends of mine who really hate the game now due to chipping issues who would really benefit from clubs such as these ‘can’t bring themselves’ to use them for fear of mockery - really sad. Oddly the same stigma isn’t attached to hybrids for those who can’t hit long irons.
Just a thought but maybe those who deride them should be forced to use blades and persimmon as this is ‘proper’ golf equipment.
Perhaps this should be under Golf Random Irritations.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I played with a boy a couple of weeks ago, no driver, no irons, just woods, hybrids, a chipper and putter, won the division with 40 points ?

gopher99

Visit site
I played in a match play comp the other day, the guy I played against had a chipper and he was really handy with it. After the game i asked him to chip a few with wedges and a 9 iron, lets just say I can see why he uses the chipper. It has a place in peoples bags if they have trouble around the greens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played in a match play comp the other day, the guy I played against had a chipper and he was really handy with it. After the game i asked him to chip a few with wedges and a 9 iron, lets just say I can see why he uses the chipper. It has a place in peoples bags if they have trouble around the greens.
My mate is the same. Strikes irons really well, but when it comes to chipping, with an iron or wedge in his hands he just comes in really steep like he's still trying to compress the ball and just duffs it. With a chipper in his hand his brain switches to putting mode and it works. We've tried telling him to 'putt' with a 9 iron and all that, but he just subconsciously comes in steep again. He can even hit a flop shot better than he can a conventional chip. If he misses a green he prefers it to be in the bunker than anywhere else, because he can splash it out easily.

RRidges

Visit site
I considered one for a while. But my pro sorted me fairly quickly. He stated that a chipper or putter strike is via a stroke primarily using arms whereas a chip should still be a swing using whole body. It's only when I don't actually swing that I duff chips.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Never understood the pomposity of the scorn poured against these clubs.
Friends of mine who really hate the game now due to chipping issues who would really benefit from clubs such as these ‘can’t bring themselves’ to use them for fear of mockery - really sad. Oddly the same stigma isn’t attached to hybrids for those who can’t hit long irons.
Just a thought but maybe those who deride them should be forced to use blades and persimmon as this is ‘proper’ golf equipment.
Perhaps this should be under Golf Random Irritations.
Don't understand "should be forced". :confused:
Do you mean "should be given the joy and privilege" of playing with blades and persimmons? :)

Last edited: