F1 2024

Swango1980

Visit site
It almost feels like McClaren have already accepted Max will win the title. Had they had any feeling Norris could have a great end to season and maybe put Max under pressure, pretty sure McClaren's team orders would look to maximise points to Norris

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't believe McLaren made lando give that up today ,he was six seconds in front .
After the last race where McLaren knackered his race they should have thought about that and let him drive to victory today , they have shafted him twice in a row now ,and a lot more during the season so far

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Love the Red Bull radio chat….”childish”……lol
Max complaining that Lewis moved under braking was just priceless.
Has to be the ultimate example of the pot calling the kettle black.

The stewards noted that the telemetry showed Lewis took the same line as on previous laps. I think Max should possibly be thanking Lewis for stating it was a racing incident, otherwise he may well have been facing a grid penalty for the next race.

crdb

Visit site
Max complaining that Lewis moved under braking was just priceless.
Has to be the ultimate example of the pot calling the kettle black.

The stewards noted that the telemetry showed Lewis took the same line as on previous laps. I think Max should possibly be thanking Lewis for stating it was a racing incident, otherwise he may well have been facing a grid penalty for the next race.
I think Lewis did well to stop the turn in when he saw the raging bull lock up on the inside, lucky one driver was in control of their car otherwise both would have been crashed out!

Think max needs to accept that sometimes other people can be faster than him instead of throwing a tantrum :LOL:

crdb

Visit site
I can't believe McLaren made lando give that up today ,he was six seconds in front .
After the last race where McLaren knackered his race they should have thought about that and let him drive to victory today , they have shafted him twice in a row now ,and a lot more during the season so far
To keep the team happy & working together... surely working together is Oscar letting Lando take the win to bring him & the team closer to redbull?!

Oscar had a better race in general, but think the 'team' decision should be letting lando win

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think Lewis did well to stop the turn in when he saw the raging bull lock up on the inside, lucky one driver was in control of their car otherwise both would have been crashed out!

Think max needs to accept that sometimes other people can be faster than him instead of throwing a tantrum :LOL:
Think the stewards need to grow a pair and start punishing Verstappen as they would had that been another driver doing that to him. Too many incidents involving him now

Swango1980

Visit site
Red Bull have spent years defending the indefensible from Max.

However, yesterday, it felt like their patience with him is wearing thin. Especially as he hadn't really matured, as he never had proper mentors, but bosses who just kept feeding his ego.

And now with other good young drivers emerging like Norris, perhaps Red Bull are slightly envious that fans seem to warm more to them than their golden boy Max.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Oscar had a better race in general, but think the 'team' decision should be letting lando win
Lando messed up the start, too focused on preventing his team mate from making progress when the real danger was always going to be MV. That was where he effectively lost the win.
He was then gifted the lead by the team pitting him first in order to protect the 1-2 placings on the understanding that he would relinquish it later.
I don’t think he disputes that now and accepts that the team were right in the decisions they made.

crdb

Visit site
Lando messed up the start, too focused on preventing his team mate from making progress when the real danger was always going to be MV. That was where he effectively lost the win.
He was then gifted the lead by the team pitting him first in order to protect the 1-2 placings on the understanding that he would relinquish it later.
I don’t think he disputes that now and accepts that the team were right in the decisions they made.
I agree that Piastri had the better race & the fair team decision was made, but for me the best decision for the team trying to catch redbull & max up would be to keep lando in first.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

However, yesterday, it felt like their patience with him is wearing thin. Especially as he hadn't really matured, as he never had proper mentors, but bosses who just kept feeding his ego.

And now with other good young drivers emerging like Norris, perhaps Red Bull are slightly envious that fans seem to warm more to them than their golden boy Max.
I think it’s more that MV has made his position clear re Horner and Marko and they aren’t now going to just swallow his childish diatribe.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Red Bull have been making excuses for Max since he started in 2015.
Anyone else remember Max shouting at his pit crew and refusing to follow team orders in Singapore ?

He's been getting away with it for 9 years

Swango1980

Visit site
It depends what one considers to be the right decision. After all, there have been plenty of moments in the past where one team mate has lead a race from start to finish, but the team have asked this driver to concede the position so that the leading driver gets more points. Yes, it is unlikely, but if Norris and McClaren go on a fantastic run and Norris ends up losing the drivers championship by less than 7 points, then it could have been considered a bad decision.

It is also where having 2 strong drivers can be good for the team, but bad for the drivers Championship. There are 13 races left this season. Let us say that McClaren have really turned things around, and will become the dominant car for the rest of the season. Such turn arounds are possible. It is very possible that Norris and Piastri could both do well in races, and take points off each other in several of those races. Drivers told to hold position rather than race each other, or to concede positions like yesterday depending on early tactics used in the race. Norris may have to concede his position to Piastri in a few more races, or at least not allowed to pass him. Therefore, that could add up to quite a lot of points, compered to the situation where McClaren simply say "we need to maximize the points for Norris where possible, and give ourselves the absolute best chance to compete in drivers championship"

It very much helps Verstappen that Perez is so far off the pace. If he had a really strong team mate, they would be taking points off each other more regularly, and the McClaren and Ferrari boys would be just that little closer behind to give them a lot more hope.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Some say that Max has matured in recent years and hasn’t driven overly aggressively as he used to. No he hasn’t. For 3 years he’s had a car that outperformed others, and he didn’t need to bash his way to the front. More recently that hasn’t been the case, and we’re seeing how he has always responded to tough competition.

Maybe it’s the quality of the safety equipment in the cars or maybe he’s just been lucky but I’m surprised he hasn’t put someone in hospital before now.

crdb

Visit site
Some say that Max has matured in recent years and hasn’t driven overly aggressively as he used to. No he hasn’t. For 3 years he’s had a car that outperformed others, and he didn’t need to bash his way to the front. More recently that hasn’t been the case, and we’re seeing how he has always responded to tough competition.

Maybe it’s the quality of the safety equipment in the cars or maybe he’s just been lucky but I’m surprised he hasn’t put someone in hospital before now.
Yeah for 2 years his car was able to just drive past people like they have a speed limiter on, now he has some challengers he's throwing tantrums & driving beyond his skillset