Sunningdale 2025

JT.

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m afraid I’m going to pull the plug on this day. We’re still 6 short (a ‘funding gap’ of £2.5k), and experience tells me some of those who have committed may drop when it come to committing money to the event.

A shame, but understand this is an expensive day and many will be unable to justify it.

The Lion

Visit site
Hi all,

I’m afraid I’m going to pull the plug on this day. We’re still 6 short (a ‘funding gap’ of £2.5k), and experience tells me some of those who have committed may drop when it come to committing money to the event.

A shame, but understand this is an expensive day and many will be unable to justify it.
I’m sorry to hear this. I’d love to come, but just can’t commit that amount of a deposit this autumn. Suspect quite a few are in the same position.

If these greedy golf clubs only put up fees by (admittedly still high) inflation then such a day might be £330 now — based on the £265 paid in 2019.

Just goes to show how much they’re inflating prices and I do wonder if a reckoning is finally coming.

Thanks very much for trying. Hopefully the day will come when we all can afford to do this.

Reactions: JT.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for your efforts on this, will get there at some point.

Reactions: JT.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The £265 over 2 days back in 2019 was an absolute bargain, and sadly won’t be possible again. It was a great event and we were blessed with fantastic weather. Sorry about this meet JT, as I say if the date had worked I would have been up for it, as it was so good in 2019.

The Lion

Visit site
The £265 over 2 days back in 2019 was an absolute bargain, and sadly won’t be possible again. It was a great event and we were blessed with fantastic weather. Sorry about this meet JT, as I say if the date had worked I would have been up for it, as it was so good in 2019.

There were quite a few Sunningdale meets last decade which I saw.

The golf boom is clearly over for all but top clubs now. Eventually the dollar exchange rate will finally fall and the USA will have a downturn.

When that comes, we’ll see a reset at top clubs.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
There were quite a few Sunningdale meets last decade which I saw.

The golf boom is clearly over for all but top clubs now. Eventually the dollar exchange rate will finally fall and the USA will have a downturn.

When that comes, we’ll see a reset at top clubs.

I think there's about a zero chance the price comes down - hence, best to play as soon as possible.

The Lion

Visit site
Hold that thought. I'm not so sure. 😉

The rate of increase might slow though😁😁

You may be right, but it’s hard to see them increasing fees so much year after year. There’s a limit, and unless they start to follow the USA and go fully private, at some point economics will finally come to bear.

The Lion

Visit site
I think there's about a zero chance the price comes down - hence, best to play as soon as possible.

Well tbh I’ve had that view privately and it’s been borne out. Of recent top course plays, here’s a few comparable hikes from 2024 into 2025:

Royal Porthcawl £125 -> £150 W Rnd
Saunton £75 -> £90 S Twl
Prestwick £140 -> £160 W Rnd
Royal Aberdeen £95 -> £109 W Rnd

Some biggish % increases there.

The worst however is Hollinwell. From £90 last winter to £150 this coming winter. Who would pay this it’s hard to see. It’s now at Open course prices, which is just silly. Incidentally in 2021 the Summer DAY rate was less — £130. Just shows how mad it all is 🤯

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You may be right, but it’s hard to see them increasing fees so much year after year. There’s a limit, and unless they start to follow the USA and go fully private, at some point economics will finally come to bear.

Not disagreeing, but economics are in play already. Regardless of price, these places are selling their times and have excess demand. Hence the prices keep going up.

The Lion

Visit site
In 2018 I didn't play Kingsbarns because of the daft price. Paid nearly double that price to play in April this year!🤯🤯🤯🤣🤣
A good lesson learned the hard way!

The problem is there’s so many of them that tryna tick them all while they’re still (barely) affordable is difficult financially and from a time perspective.

The Lion

Visit site
Not disagreeing, but economics are in play already. Regardless of price, these places are selling their times and have excess demand. Hence the prices keep going up.

I’d add that it’s also down to top clubs being full, with now higher membership fees, as inflation has eased. That plus the higher green fees means they have plenty of cash and don’t need the money now.

Sad really given many were desperate during Covid and were only kept in the black by members and visitors supporting them.

The Lion

Visit site
£150 before twilight kicks in.

£50 with a member if you know one😉😉
Always happy for a reciprocal! 😉

Played B&B for the first time last week. Was mostly pretty good, though more enjoyable second time around in an 36 hole day, and maybe an option for the future.

Now ticked all the South West’s bigger courses, but still plenty of fun ones left like Yelverton, Weston, Thurlestone, West Cornwall etc, plus the Bristol area courses and the downlands.

Defo an underrated region for golf!

Morfeen75

Visit site
I’m sorry to hear this. I’d love to come, but just can’t commit that amount of a deposit this autumn. Suspect quite a few are in the same position.

If these greedy golf clubs only put up fees by (admittedly still high) inflation then such a day might be £330 now — based on the £265 paid in 2019.

Just goes to show how much they’re inflating prices and I do wonder if a reckoning is finally coming.

Thanks very much for trying. Hopefully the day will come when we all can afford to do this.
Sunningdale don't need visitors hacking their course up, they are financially sound so can charge what they want. That doesnt make them greedy just because you cant afford it.
From searching previous 2 sunningdale threads, it seems to me the organiser had a strong releationship with Sunningdale and that is why the last day was split and at £265.
In 2016 the standard society rate was £400. Today the standard society rate is £525. So despite you accusing Sunningdale of hiking prices and being greedy, its actually only increased £125 in 8yrs!!
The £265 over 2 days was never freely available or offered.

@JT. had negotiated a small discount too.

pmgolfer99

Visit site
Sunningdale don't need visitors hacking their course up, they are financially sound so can charge what they want. That doesnt make them greedy just because you cant afford it.
From searching previous 2 sunningdale threads, it seems to me the organiser had a strong releationship with Sunningdale and that is why the last day was split and at £265.
In 2016 the standard society rate was £400. Today the standard society rate is £525. So despite you accusing Sunningdale of hiking prices and being greedy, its actually only increased £125 in 8yrs!!
The £265 over 2 days was never freely available or offered.

@JT. had negotiated a small discount too.

Don't think this is entirely accurate. I played a society day there in 2022 for £320 and then in 2023 for £360 - whilst at the time, the headline society rate quoted on the website was much higher, in reality my understanding is that they would pretty much give any group that asked a discount