F1 2024

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Testing is not far away now, with the first race at the end of the month.

Massive news though to start with. Hamilton is strongly reported to be moving to Ferrari in 2025??! I had to check it wasn't April 1st! :oops:

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
Mercedes are calling all their team(s) for a briefing at 1400. In my old line of work, that only happened for bad news.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TBH, as much as I like Hamilton, he's 39 and Mercedes have to move on at some point. Russell wasn't put in his place last year, so I don't doubt Hami will leave and Mercedes move on with a new younger no2 for Russell.
As for Ferrari, their team dynamic doesn't quite stack up at the moment.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
TBH, as much as I like Hamilton, he's 39 and Mercedes have to move on at some point. Russell wasn't put in his place last year, so I don't doubt Hami will leave and Mercedes move on with a new younger no2 for Russell.
As for Ferrari, their team dynamic doesn't quite stack up at the moment.
This would suggest otherwise
IMG_6926.jpeg

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think this is the last chance for Hamilton to drive for Ferrari. Schumacher did it and Senna was about too. I think he'd regret not driving for them whilst he still can and Ferrari occasionally do have a fast car (quali only ;)).

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a sinking feeling that Hamilton could be making a big mistake. Ferrari have a long history of dropping the ball on strategy even when they have the best car. Lewis will kick himself if Merc pull themselves out of the sticky stuff.

Mind you, we all thought the same when he left McLaren for Mercedes, so what do I know?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Maybe Hamilton can use his experience to really get the best out of a Ferrari that is good in qualifying and if he can work with the new mechanics around race reliability it may prove to be a very good move. It is just the reliability racing that is the big question mark for me

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think it must be an informed move. He's after number 8 (should be 9) and I don't think he'd move if he didn't feel this was his best chance at it.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe Hamilton can use his experience to really get the best out of a Ferrari that is good in qualifying and if he can work with the new mechanics around race reliability it may prove to be a very good move. It is just the reliability racing that is the big question mark for me
It's Ferrari's woeful strategic race decisions that are their downfall.
Perhaps Hamilton will be forceful enough to overrule them?
But Alonso couldn't manage it (think 2012), and he's probably even less willing to accept team decisions.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's Ferrari's woeful strategic race decisions that are their downfall.
Perhaps Hamilton will be forceful enough to overrule them?
But Alonso couldn't manage it (think 2012), and he's probably even less willing to accept team decisions.
I would think he would have a very strong say in the Ferrari pit and team crew, maybe even bringing some new-to-Ferrari names with him, and getting rid of some dead-wood. Maybe Bono will go with him?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a sinking feeling that Hamilton could be making a big mistake. Ferrari have a long history of dropping the ball on strategy even when they have the best car. Lewis will kick himself if Merc pull themselves out of the sticky stuff.

Mind you, we all thought the same when he left McLaren for Mercedes, so what do I know?

I think this is about fulfilling a career dream before retirement rather than about winning per se.

In any case, it’s clear to see that red bull won’t be caught by anyone until the next significant reg change. Dunno when that is scheduled for, if it is scheduled at all yet

Swango1980

Visit site
I think this is about fulfilling a career dream before retirement rather than about winning per se.

In any case, it’s clear to see that red bull won’t be caught by anyone until the next significant reg change. Dunno when that is scheduled for, if it is scheduled at all yet
Agreed.

Hamilton could well be on the verge of retirement anyway. So his decision to go to Ferrari is less about making a move to a championship winning side, but a final move that allows him to tick the box to say he raced in the red of Ferrari. If the choice is between retirement, or racing 1-2 more seasons for Ferrari, the Ferrari option may sound appealing.

Meanwhile, Ferrari get the benefit of having world famous Hamilton race for them, who could perhaps give them some good information as a successful driver to at least help them develop, if not win the Championship.

And there is always a small chance Ferrari could stumble upon a brilliant car for next season. And just imagine the situation if Hamilton turns up to Ferrari and then wins the Championship for them. It would be legendary. To be honest, even if Leclerc won it, I'm sure Hamilton would still be part of that heroic story of being the senior pro and coming in to help drive the team to success. That is a Hollywood film in the making.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Heard the Ferrari sponsor for 2025 is Saudi pif money 😂

All jokes aside, that team dynamic is going to be very strange as neither driver will want to #2

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I might start watching the full race coverage just to hear Hamilton's meltdowns with the pit crews when they fluff the strategies again. He is not the most tolerant person when it comes to being told when to pit and when to push on :)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 2024 reveals will be completed today with the new Red Bull. Christian Horner will be controlling matters apparently today. 🤣

No real surprises in the cars I've seen. All doing what we expected in copying RB.