F1 2024

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great race from Hamilton and you could see what it meant to him. So good to see him deliver another British Grand Prix win without it coming down to incidents, accidents etc and simply good tactics and excellent drive

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Great race from Hamilton and you could see what it meant to him. So good to see him deliver another British Grand Prix win without it coming down to incidents, accidents etc and simply good tactics and excellent drive
After being away on holiday, finally got to watch the race this morning.
Absolutely delighted for Lewis, but you have to spare a thought for Lando - if he had come in for slicks one lap earlier, he'd almost certainly have won the race.
Full credit to him for taking it on the chin and accepting he made a mistake, when any number of other drivers would have found someone else to blame.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolutely delighted for Lewis, but you have to spare a thought for Lando - if he had come in for slicks one lap earlier, he'd almost certainly have won the race.
Full credit to him for taking it on the chin and accepting he made a mistake, when any number of other drivers would have found someone else to blame.

I think it was just as much choosing the softs rather than new mediums that cost him the win too.

D

Deleted member 29109

Sergio. Your time is nearly up. Was very lucky to get a two year deal a few months ago. Perhaps Carlos may slip in there...
I’ll be surprised if Sergio makes it past the summer break given how poor he has been recently.

They must have some performance related clauses in his contract.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it was just as much choosing the softs rather than new mediums that cost him the win too.
Not sure. If he'd pitted on the same lap as Lewis and had a normal length stop, he'd still be in front. Whether he had mediums or softs would probably have given him the win.
I suspect the softs gave up because he destroyed them trying to catch Lewis.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure. If he'd pitted on the same lap as Lewis and had a normal length stop, he'd still be in front. Whether he had mediums or softs would probably have given him the win.
I suspect the softs gave up because he destroyed them trying to catch Lewis.
JS had hards on for his final stint, and was certainly making good use of them

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The commentators (ex Formula 1 drivers) view was that the tyre choice was the wrong one, as demonstrated by Piastri who went on the mediums.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
JS had hards on for his final stint, and was certainly making good use of them
JS? Who dat?
They were saying before he even went in he should go on to the medium tyre as he still had one brand new set
I seem to recall just before the pitstop the team advised Lando that he could go on mediums to cover Max (and by implication guarantee 2nd), or softs to go after Lewis. Remember that at the time, they didn't know the pitstop itself would be fumbled, but they did know Lewis was on softs, and on a hot out lap. A "normal" 2.5s stop would have brought Lando out about level with Lewis, and the only way to get past would be on the softs. It's no surprise that he chose to go for the win.

But all this debate about which tyre he went for is missing the important point, which is that he should have pitted a lap earlier. THAT was the big strategy mistake.