F1 2024

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watched it for first time about 5 or 6 years ago, and was awesome.

To be fair, the racing is generally boring until the last few laps. Bit like watching a marathon, where most of it us about trying to stay in leading group.

But, the potential for pretty extreme accidents is pretty high. Watching 3 or 4 cars side by side at well over 200mph is pretty awesome
Having been to Daytona, I would say oval racing is a special form of driving, but it's catering for the American market of short attention span. The cars are more or less all the same, with the same components except for the body shell stickers and perhaps an engine, or parts of it but there is no allowing technology or rules wizards to see a way round certain things and create a dominant car for a season or 2.
F1 has always been the technological pinnacle and with the best drivers, but using Monaco as an example is wrong. Using Spa, Silverstone or Suzuka knocks oval racing into a cocked hat.
Monaco is a boring track,except when it's wet when it becomes a monster, but history and the glamourous F1 past keeps it on the list.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Only just managed to see the Monaco race.
I agree that it was dull (as usual), and the red flag on lap 1 increased its monotony.

But one thing I'd like to mention is that Lewis - and Mercedes - seriously dropped the ball over his pit stop.
Lewis should have been right on Max's gearbox as he entered the pit lane, rather than nearly 2 seconds behind.
He should have gunned his out lap (which he didn't).
And finally why didn't Merc instruct George to back Max up during Lewis's out lap?
If these things had been done, Lewis would have jumped Max and Merc would have been P5 & 6 instead of P5 & 7.

CountLippe

Visit site
Having been to Daytona, I would say oval racing is a special form of driving, but it's catering for the American market of short attention span. The cars are more or less all the same, with the same components except for the body shell stickers and perhaps an engine, or parts of it but there is no allowing technology or rules wizards to see a way round certain things and create a dominant car for a season or 2.
F1 has always been the technological pinnacle and with the best drivers, but using Monaco as an example is wrong. Using Spa, Silverstone or Suzuka knocks oval racing into a cocked hat.
Monaco is a boring track,except when it's wet when it becomes a monster, but history and the glamourous F1 past keeps it on the list.

Apparently at the Austin circuit, where your can directly compare F1 to Indy Car, the F1 cars are 14 seconds a lap quicker despite smaller engines and a lower top speed!!!

D

Deleted member 29109

I watched it for first time about 5 or 6 years ago, and was awesome.

To be fair, the racing is generally boring until the last few laps. Bit like watching a marathon, where most of it us about trying to stay in leading group.

But, the potential for pretty extreme accidents is pretty high. Watching 3 or 4 cars side by side at well over 200mph is pretty awesome
Do they still have a pace car with a few laps left to make it interesting?

Indy Cars wouldn’t see which way an F2 car went. F1 is in a completely different league.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I don't watch F1 as I find it too dull to watch. I did an experiment on Sunday with the highlights programme. I fast forwarded it and watched the drivers names on the side of the screen. And they never moved. I am not doubting these cars are at the pinnacle of development but something needs to be done to make the raciing more interesting.

D

Deleted member 29109

I don't watch F1 as I find it too dull to watch. I did an experiment on Sunday with the highlights programme. I fast forwarded it and watched the drivers names on the side of the screen. And they never moved. I am not doubting these cars are at the pinnacle of development but something needs to be done to make the raciing more interesting.
Don’t race at Monaco.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The cars are too big for Monaco, but there is genuine skill to be on an absolute razor's edge for that long, pumping in lap time after lap time, where the smallest mistake basically will mean your race is over.

I don't like Monaco as a race, but it does show what the best in the world are capable of

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd probably try that experiment with a bigger sample size of races. Monaco is notorious these days for being a race in which drivers cannot overtake

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The cars are too big for Monaco, but there is genuine skill to be on an absolute razor's edge for that long, pumping in lap time after lap time, where the smallest mistake basically will mean your race is over.

I don't like Monaco as a race, but it does show what the best in the world are capable of
What I found hillarious was that at one stage Bottas had the fastest lap and was 5 seconds a lap faster than the leaders. Just shows how much "tyre management" was going on!

Now that's a phrase I absolutely abhor - "tyre management". The cars should be going full pelt all the time athey are racing and the only thing to stop them should be an engine failure!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'd probably try that experiment with a bigger sample size of races. Monaco is notorious these days for being a race in which drivers cannot overtake
I have done. I've tried on a few occassions to watch F1. It may be a technical masterpiece, with (mainly) top quality drivers, but I just don't get the thrill from watching that I used to. I know Monaco is a processional race, and has been for a long time. It's only still on the calendar for it's history and spectacle. It stopped being a race a long time ago.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I found hillarious was that at one stage Bottas had the fastest lap and was 5 seconds a lap faster than the leaders. Just shows how much "tyre management" was going on!

Now that's a phrase I absolutely abhor - "tyre management". The cars should be going full pelt all the time athey are racing and the only thing to stop them should be an engine failure!
You can blame K-Mag for that!

I have seen some reports, and I agree with them, that they almost need a 'super-soft' tyre option purely for Monaco, so the 3 tyre compounds won't last the race.

D

Deleted member 29109

F1 has never been this. It has pretty much always been a tyre limited formula. Apart from maybe the awful period when we had refuelling.

You win at the slowest possible pace.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only just managed to see the Monaco race.
I agree that it was dull (as usual), and the red flag on lap 1 increased its monotony.

But one thing I'd like to mention is that Lewis - and Mercedes - seriously dropped the ball over his pit stop.
Lewis should have been right on Max's gearbox as he entered the pit lane, rather than nearly 2 seconds behind.
He should have gunned his out lap (which he didn't).
And finally why didn't Merc instruct George to back Max up during Lewis's out lap?
If these things had been done, Lewis would have jumped Max and Merc would have been P5 & 6 instead of P5 & 7.
"Why didn't you tell me the outlap was critical?".......Greatest of all time? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A suggestion to make for interesting racing.

At the moment, a car needs a significant speed advantage to overtake, even using the DRS, because the pass has to be completed before the next turn, if it is to be done safely. What usually happens is the lead car "blocks" the following car until its tyres are "used up", and then has little more to do to keep ahead.

SUGGESTED NEW RULE - If a chasing car remains within a second (or 1.5 seconds) of the car in front for, say 2 laps, then they must switch positions! The chaser becomes the chasee! Or, Cat meet pigeon! or in this case Leopard meet cheetah! :D

Va-Va-Voooom!!

Swango1980

Visit site
A suggestion to make for interesting racing.

At the moment, a car needs a significant speed advantage to overtake, even using the DRS, because the pass has to be completed before the next turn, if it is to be done safely. What usually happens is the lead car "blocks" the following car until its tyres are "used up", and then has little more to do to keep ahead.

SUGGESTED NEW RULE - If a chasing car remains within a second (or 1.5 seconds) of the car in front for, say 2 laps, then they must switch positions! The chaser becomes the chasee! Or, Cat meet pigeon! or in this case Leopard meet cheetah! :D

Va-Va-Voooom!!
I think I'd rather watch a game of tag :)

NearHull

Visit site
A good watch yesterday. The changing conditions made the event interesting with some different strategies being used amongst the top teams. I think that, unlike golf, rain adds a lot to the competition. Mercedes ran very well, Ferrari not so well. Verstappen showed his skills again. McClaren definitely coming to the fore.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Brilliant undercut by Red Bull & Verstappen yesterday, again. How many times in the last two seasons have we seen Verstappen pull off a great undercut to win a race?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Brilliant undercut by Red Bull & Verstappen yesterday, again. How many times in the last two seasons have we seen Verstappen pull off a great undercut to win a race?
It wasn't really, some sort of screw up by Mclaren getting Norris out in 3rd when he was faster than the others and had the fixed safety car gap, really threw that away.

Last edited:

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
MV was a bit lucky yesterday as was Lando unlucky. Good race, made by the conditions and teams closing up.

Lets hope it continues when we hit Europe in two weeks.

The two things I got right on Sunday was an MV win and Logan S DNFing!