Is it April 1st

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So you're just off the green in fluffy grass, perfect for the chipper.
But there's a big step on the green just where you want to land the chipper.
Then what do you do?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just cannot get my head around the fact that a club only has one purpose. Different with a putter as depending on your stats you will always use the single use putter, but for me a chipR is just a one dimensional club.

I’d need to drop a more useful club to make room.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I just cannot get my head around the fact that a club only has one purpose. Different with a putter as depending on your stats you will always use the single use putter, but for me a chipR is just a one dimensional club.

You could drop your driver for it and still not lose distance off the tee ???

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Then what do you do?

According to the Harry hill review you can open the face up

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I doubt I'd spend £150+ for a one purpose club... but then again, plenty of us spend £300-£500 on a one purpose club at the other end of the bag (with hugely varying degrees of return/results on that cost) and although one stroke with this ping is only going a few yards and the other going a couple (three) hundred, a stroke with either club still counts as one when you tally up the hole score :unsure:

DCB

Visit site
If it works for you, fair enough. I was taught how to use my 8 iron for exactly those type of shots and have used it with reasonable success ever since. Each to their own.

D

Deleted member 23344

I doubt I'd spend £150+ for a one purpose club... but then again, plenty of us spend £300-£500 on a one purpose club at the other end of the bag (with hugely varying degrees of return/results on that cost) and although one stroke with this ping is only going a few yards and the other going a couple (three) hundred, a stroke with either club still counts as one when you tally up the hole score :unsure:

If you mean the driver, mine is two purpose … I often use it off the deck to get under trees.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If you mean the driver, mine is two purpose … I often use it off the deck to get under trees.

Yeah Driver off the deck is nice if you can do it (y)(& nice to watch) kinda the exception though. I've hit full shots with a chipper club out of thick rough/tall grass/gravel paths/off rocks etc, but its still viewed as single purpose club by the masses

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

If you take the driver out of the bag, you'll lose 30-50 yards off every tee used. No other club can do what the driver does.
If you take the chipper out, you've probably got 5 or 6 clubs that can do what the chipper does. And if you learn to chip, you'll have all that variety of lofts to chose from for all situations.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If you take the driver out of the bag, you'll lose 30-50 yards off every tee used. No other club can do what the driver does.
If you take the chipper out, you've probably got 5 or 6 clubs that can do what the chipper does
. And if you learn to chip, you'll have all that variety of lofts to chose from for all situations.

Bowing to your experience I'd dispute that distance loss to a FW. No end of comments on here from folks hitting their FW just shy of driver... And assuming your tee shot is in play of course, otherwise its often 3 off the tee.

Agree that shots from several other clubs are able to be fashioned into the chip/run scenario (my go to chipping club is a 50* gap wedge but will also use 8,9,PW as the shot demands)
Learning to hit the clubs you have is always good advice of course (whether that's chipping with a 9i or hitting driver to FIR) but for whatever reason lots of folks screw up both shots every single day and in lots of cases new drivers are bought in an effort to correct the fault, just like sets of wedges are bought in an effort to correct that particular fault when in fact a chipper club plus, over time, learning to chip with other clubs is not an unreasonable thing to do

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then what do you do?
Get another chipper with a lower loft for the awkward ones.;)
My mate a 5 capper has one he’s deadly with it.
But he has also learned to chip with other clubs.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then what do you do?

You get out your sand wedge and make a right old mess of it lol.
I’d say 99% of shots in and around the green don’t have the scenario you’re portraying, a chipper would generally be ideal specially for someone with an absolutely shocking short game.

Springveldt

Visit site
Bowing to your experience I'd dispute that distance loss to a FW. No end of comments on here from folks hitting their FW just shy of driver... And assuming your tee shot is in play of course, otherwise its often 3 off the tee.
I definitely lose at least 30 yards between driver and 3 wood off the tee on good hits and even more on miss hits. The loft difference between my driver (9) and 3 wood (15) is the biggest difference in my bag between clubs.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As some have said, it's a 1 shot club.
I want as few 1 shot clubs in my bag as possible.
For me the driver is a 1 shot club, doesn't get used anywhere except off the tee..everything else is multipurpose
Which club are people going to drop, assuming they don't ha.ready have room for it...?