Is it April 1st

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As some have said, it's a 1 shot club.
I want as few 1 shot clubs in my bag as possible.
For me the driver is a 1 shot club, doesn't get used anywhere except off the tee..everything else is multipurpose
Which club are people going to drop, assuming they don't ha.ready have room for it...?

I know a lot of high handicappers who have a 3 wood in their bag and shouldn’t be going anyway near it, they also have lob wedges that they fat 1 yard when they try and hit it lol.
Those types of players would be better off removing one or both or those clubs and getting a chipper imo. Can’t beat a good up and down when you’ve missed the green for the 10th time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You get out your sand wedge and make a right old mess of it lol.
I’d say 99% of shots in and around the green don’t have the scenario you’re portraying, a chipper would generally be ideal specially for someone with an absolutely shocking short game.
Even this mentality could be changing. Crossfield has one in the bag - obviously that's partly for the clicks he gets from being a pro and using it - but partly because he obviously feels he can get closer the pin from those dodgy lies than he can with another club. I don't think his short game was particularly bad.

Ironically Rick Shiels' short game is absolutely woeful and he could genuinely benefit from having a chipper but he said he's not going to put one in his bag. :LOL:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even this mentality could be changing. Crossfield has one in the bag - obviously that's partly for the clicks he gets from being a pro and using it - but partly because he obviously feels he can get closer the pin from those dodgy lies than he can with another club. I don't think his short game was particularly bad.

Ironically Rick Shiels' short game is absolutely woeful and he could genuinely benefit from having a chipper but he said he's not going to put one in his bag. :LOL:

The way I see it, not everyone has the time or money for lessons, nor do they have time to put in hours of practice. This club could help transform someone’s short game who is constantly thinning or fatting the ball or regularly taking 3 or 4 shots to get down from the fringe.
We’re always going to get sniffy comments and people saying “get a lesson” but some people are just unteachable ??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The way I see it, not everyone has the time or money for lessons, nor do they have time to put in hours of practice. This club could help transform someone’s short game who is constantly thinning or fatting the ball or regularly taking 3 or 4 shots to get down from the fringe.
We’re always going to get sniffy comments and people saying “get a lesson” but some people are just unteachable ??

If they can't afford a lesson, how can they afford £150 for a chipper?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I know a lot of high handicappers who have a 3 wood in their bag and shouldn’t be going anyway near it, they also have lob wedges that they fat 1 yard when they try and hit it lol.
Those types of players would be better off removing one or both or those clubs and getting a chipper imo. Can’t beat a good up and down when you’ve missed the green for the 10th time.
Hard to argue.....(y)

On the question of lessons and cost...it's not just the cost of the lesson, it's also the cost and time for practicing what has been taught on the lesson..
Not everyone has that time...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I spoke to a guy who had a chipper and he said it was great.
It took a bit of practice and a bit of getting used to but now he uses it all the time.

I walked away.

D-S

Visit site
As some have said, it's a 1 shot club.
I want as few 1 shot clubs in my bag as possible.
For me the driver is a 1 shot club, doesn't get used anywhere except off the tee..everything else is multipurpose
Which club are people going to drop, assuming they don't ha.ready have room for it...?
All you need to do is look at the scores in a 3 clubs and a putter comps, winning scores are often better than h/c and almost always by high handicappers, having 10 or even 16 clubs in their bag wouldn’t make much difference. However a club that prevents 7 or 8 duffs or thins a round at the cost of probably 4 or 5 shots is worth the sacrifice of a little or badly used 3 wood or 4 iron.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed - the mate I mentioned earlier in the thread had a lesson for his chipping - it went exactly the way I knew it would. Very marginal improvement for a week or two before he forgot it all and went back to duffing his chips. As you say, some people aren't particularly coachable, or they don't want to spend hours working on something when they can buy a club that is much easier to use. It's no different to me having a 27° hybrid instead of a 6 iron, or a chunky SureOut wedge for bunkers. I just wanted bats that work for the task I need them for.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed - the mate I mentioned earlier in the thread had a lesson for his chipping - it went exactly the way I knew it would. Very marginal improvement for a week or two before he forgot it all and went back to duffing his chips. As you say, some people aren't particularly coachable, or they don't want to spend hours working on something when they can buy a club that is much easier to use. It's no different to me having a 27° hybrid instead of a 6 iron, or a chunky SureOut wedge for bunkers. I just wanted bats that work for the task I need them for.

Can’t believe you haven’t had bunker lessons and bought a bladed 6 iron ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a high handicapper with both a three wood and a 60 degree wedge, I do use both.
The wedge is for me by far my best bunker club and I wouldn't lose it.
Three wood is possibly dispensable but is pretty useful on some long par threes that are not a driver for me. I will occasionally use it off the fairway if the penalty for a mishit does not look to severe and a good hit will get me on the putting surface.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a high handicapper with both a three wood and a 60 degree wedge, I do use both.
The wedge is for me by far my best bunker club and I wouldn't lose it.
Three wood is possibly dispensable but is pretty useful on some long par threes that are not a driver for me. I will occasionally use it off the fairway if the penalty for a mishit does not look to severe and a good hit will get me on the putting surface.

You’re obviously playing off an artificially high handicap then ??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

So you have a driver, 2 x FWs, 2 x hybrids, 3 x irons, 5 x wedges and a putter.
Each to their own (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mistake, apologies.
So it's driver, 2 x FWs, 2 x hybrids, 3 x irons, a wedge and 4 wedges and a putter.
;):whistle:
I don't know if you're trying to make a point or something. But I just meant the PW is exactly the same as the irons it just says 'P' on it. I'm not sure what makes it a wedge other than it's name? It's 44°, if this iron set was 15 years old older it would say 6,7,8,9 instead of 7,8,9,P. ??‍♂️ The ones I think of as wedges are actually wedges.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know if you're trying to make a point or something. But I just meant the PW is exactly the same as the irons it just says 'P' on it. I'm not sure what makes it a wedge other than it's name? It's 44°, if this iron set was 15 years old older it would say 6,7,8,9 instead of 7,8,9,P. ??‍♂️ The ones I think of as wedges are actually wedges.

I know, I wasn't having a go at you, it's the club manufacturers making a 44 deg wedge that gets on my nerves.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know, I wasn't having a go at you, it's the club manufacturers making a 44 deg wedge that gets on my nerves.
Ahh, good, we're actually on the same page then! Indeed, silly to call a 44° club from an iron set a 'wedge' of any description really.