F1 2019

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Despite the moaners, last year was a very good season an I expect more of the same this year, sure not all races are exciting, but then thats the same across all sports. Have you ever watched Burnley play football! Australia was good to see what the teams were like for pace with new regs and some changes to engines suppliers.
I've no desire to watch motorbikes slowly trundle round and round, F1 and Moto GP are incomparable.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You find it boring but watch it anyway? Weird.

It’s sport and I pay for Sky Sports so as a sports fan I will watch it. As I said, I watch it in the hope that something is going to happen, it’s the perfect Sunday afternoon sport though where you can go and put the spuds on, come back and you’ve missed nothing 😂

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It’s sport and I pay for Sky Sports so as a sports fan I will watch it. As I said, I watch it in the hope that something is going to happen, it’s the perfect Sunday afternoon sport though where you can go and put the spuds on, come back and you’ve missed nothing 😂
i wont deny i sometimes have a sunday snooze for a lap or 2

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Despite the moaners, last year was a very good season an I expect more of the same this year, sure not all races are exciting, but then thats the same across all sports. Have you ever watched Burnley play football! Australia was good to see what the teams were like for pace with new regs and some changes to engines suppliers.
I've no desire to watch motorbikes slowly trundle round and round, F1 and Moto GP are incomparable.
Slowly? 220mph+ top speed, cornering with the elbow down and the rear wheel sliding with tyre smoke at 100mph+, not only is it fast, it looks fast too. When you see a bike braking from 170 to 50mph with the rear wheel in the air, that's what you call a spectacle.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Slowly? 220mph+ top speed, cornering with the elbow down and the rear wheel sliding with tyre smoke at 100mph+, not only is it fast, it looks fast too. When you see a bike braking from 170 to 50mph with the rear wheel in the air, that's what you call a spectacle.

For reference a F1 car is about 30 seconds a lap quicker around silverstone than a MotoGP bike. now thats fast!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For reference a F1 car is about 30 seconds a lap quicker around silverstone than a MotoGP bike. now thats fast!
As a life long F1 fan, I would suggest F1 now is far too sterile, and whether the cars go quicker than a MotoGP (which I doubt) the drivers are far too protected now so the wow factor is being eroded in F1.

Last edited:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
As a life long F1 fan, I would suggest F1 now is far too sterile, and whether the cars go quicker than a MotoGP (which I doubt) the rivers are far too protected now so the wow factor is being eroded in F1.

The move to hybrid power has changed the spectacle somewhat (noise), but there is still plenty of excitement to be had and with the governing body keen to improve the on track action it bodes well , although sadly from a TV perspective there is only 1 free to air race now.

Not sure how you can doubt 30 secs a lap difference as not being quicker than a bike though....

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The move to hybrid power has changed the spectacle somewhat (noise), but there is still plenty of excitement to be had and with the governing body keen to improve the on track action it bodes well , although sadly from a TV perspective there is only 1 free to air race now.

Not sure how you can doubt 30 secs a lap difference as not being quicker than a bike though....
With all the wing technology I dont see the track action being anything like it used to be back in the days of Stewart,Hunt, Lauda, Andretti, Fitipaldi etc
The cars are too wide for the tracks, and the tracks too formulaeic in their layout. The head bolsters and halo device just ruin the cars, and take away a massive part of the fear factor.

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't understand this forum at times. Every year a thread is started about F1 by someone who likes it, for others who like it to discuss it as the season goes on. Yet every third post is someone telling us how they don't like it, its boring, no overtaking yada yada.
If you don't like it, don't open the thread and leave it to those of us who do!

D

Deleted member 18588

The cars are much quicker than the bikes. Maybe not all out top speed, but the car accelerates faster and corners much faster than a bike can, and also has much better braking performance.

Cornering speed in F1 is greater due to the amount of rubber in contact with the track.

Same for braking.

Top speeds are broadly similar but Motogp bikes accelerate quicker.

In any event it matters not which laps Silverstone the quicker as the two disciplines are massively different.

Motogp is close racing with overtaking and, therefore, a sport.

F1 is a technical battle between car designers and engine manufacturers. Quite honestly it ceased to be a sporting event some years ago.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Cornering speed in F1 is greater due to the amount of rubber in contact with the track.

Same for braking.

Top speeds are broadly similar but Motogp bikes accelerate quicker.

In any event it matters not which laps Silverstone the quicker as the two disciplines are massively different.

Motogp is close racing with overtaking and, therefore, a sport.

F1 is a technical battle between car designers and engine manufacturers. Quite honestly it ceased to be a sporting event some years ago.
Yes there is more rubber in contact, which certainly helps traction and stability in cornering, but it’s more to do with the fact the car is effectively being sucked too the ground which enable them to corner so quick.
For acceleration Marquez did some testing on both, the results of that showed 0-100 moto gp wins, 100-200 f1 wins as electronics kick in. Top speed Moto gp has the edge.

As for your last point about a technical race, Honda dominate MotoGP and do so through investment. Both sports are won by the teams with biggest resources, and I’d also argue that the prospective winner of the f1 world title is less predictable than MotoGP.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't understand this forum at times. Every year a thread is started about F1 by someone who likes it, for others who like it to discuss it as the season goes on. Yet every third post is someone telling us how they don't like it, its boring, no overtaking yada yada.
Yep, and it's the same old ones moaning every year.
They also moan about Strictly Come Dancing.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I want to like F1 again, after not missing a race for years it feels like the entertainment has been robbed away in recent years though so I guess I vent in frustration (Its not many sports that when you reach the pinnacle its actually the poorest example to watch on TV)

The cars are too delicate & its sometimes too sterile. Maybe just harking back in nostalgia but give me gravel traps instead of run offs (that'll slow the entry speed down). Steering wheels that don't have 20 buttons to change car settings mid-race (so any issues impact performance & the car runs based on its pre-race set up) and no radio messages except for safety (driver has to manage his tactics except for pit-board)

Just these changes will alter how the driver and car perform and introduce a bigger element of uncertainty and unpredictability

D

Deleted member 18588

Yes there is more rubber in contact, which certainly helps traction and stability in cornering, but it’s more to do with the fact the car is effectively being sucked too the ground which enable them to corner so quick.
For acceleration Marquez did some testing on both, the results of that showed 0-100 moto gp wins, 100-200 f1 wins as electronics kick in. Top speed Moto gp has the edge.

As for your last point about a technical race, Honda dominate MotoGP and do so through investment. Both sports are won by the teams with biggest resources, and I’d also argue that the prospective winner of the f1 world title is less predictable than MotoGP.

Marquez would almost certainly win the title if he had been on a Ducati or even Yamaha.

Obviously resources are important but it is still far more about the rider than F1 is about the driver.

Just look at the comparison on closeness of results.

Personally I enjoy the spectacle and tech of F1 but as far as excitement goes it isn't remotely close to Motogp.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think there is a misconception that F1 is supposed to be all about the driver. Part of formula 1 is the constructors championship, and the teams ability to design and build the best performing car within the rules. Since the 1950's this has always been so, and despite peoples rose-tinted glasses when looking at the past, team domination is nothing new, since 1970, from memory there have only been 8 different constructors champions, each having a period of domination and then waning (some never to return) - Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari, Williams, Renault (1 under Benetton name), Red Bull and Mercedes (1 under the Tyrell name and 1 under Brawn).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to enjoy the F1 and loved being regaled by Hunt and Nelson Piquets mechanic whenever I played golf with them about life on the circus, who hated who and the tales of what when on after dark. it use to be a spectacle and the race was a thrilling climax to that. Today it has a more sterile, corporate air to proceedings and the racing and the atmosphere are in the same sterile manner. There is too little driver skill with everything at the touch of a button, too much involvement of teams through radios and in their pit tactics and the racing aside from the opening laps often descends into a procession bar some midfield battles. I would love to watch more often and be entertained but as it is there isn't enough there to entice me. I'll follow the championship as the season unfolds and enjoy some of the stuff written from the pit lane but can't sit there and watch it in the current format