Private School

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't have an answer, it's something I am pondering myself at the moment. Things I have considered:

• Is the private school itself better, or is it selection bias in that the parents who send children to private school focus more on their child's education than (some not all) parents who send their children to state schools.
  • As above, private schools can choose what exams are entered so is there some selection bias in the stats?
  • Anecdotally the privately educated people I know tend to be more confident (even when wrong) and better at things like presentations. Are all these traits desirable, and are there other ways to achieve these?
  • The cost isn't just the fees, remember there will be kit, extra classes like music etc, sports and trips. Can you afford all these too?
  • Is it better to be the poorest kid in private school, or be at least average in a state school?
  • Could the money be better spent on other things, extra tuition etc,
  • Even non-academic items like holidays help children develop, through experiences, do you think it is worth giving up these?
  • What age does the benefit come, eg is it worth state school up to a certain age and then private.
There are a whole load more too, but these are the big ones that go through my mind and might be good discussion topics.

Not saying private schools are bad, but just to back up the second point I made previously, it was a front-page news item today that some private schools are entering weaker pupils as external exam candidates to avoid their league table stats being negatively impacted. Although this news story is about private schools, I'm sure this happens in all types of schools, private or state, so the main takeaway is to do your research and don't be blinded by the marketing.

Google news

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
My son attends a private school, has done ever since he started school and he couldn't be happier. Class sizes are less than half the size and also much better equipped, if it's an option, I'd say youd be crazy not to.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our kids are both in private school, mainly due to my wife being a teacher there. My wife has worked at the school since qualifying so apart from our own state school experiences we don't have anything to compare to but I would say that class size, imo, is a big plus in sending your kids to private school.

Is the quality of teaching better - not sure but having smaller classes and more time per pupil has to be a plus, if your child embraces this. Yes the facilities are good, infact there unbelievable, the kids are maybe better behaved, the after school clubs are ridiculously good, the food is great (apparently) and the opportunities available to the kids are fantastic but the thing that I have always been worried about and unfortunately is looking right is friendships outside of school. Because kids come from all over the area rather than a radius of the school is that their friends could live 20/30 minutes away rather than on the next street or 2 minutes away. This is the one thing that I don't like about sending the kids to that school, apart from that its near perfect.

Someone mentioned the cost of trips, guess that depends on your kids and how they accept no for an answer or sorry we can't afford it. The annual trips I don't think are any different to state schools, yes they have skiing trips - like state schools but they also have netball, swimming, athletics etc trips too which are optional, very expensive but amazing if you can afford them/link in with the sports etc that you are doing.

Apart from the friendship element I see it as a no brainer if you can afford it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
we discussed it, and dismissed it quite quickly. I know a lot of people that went to a private school, and in the main, most of them are pricks.

We are very fortunate where we live, the kids current primary is oftsed good bordering on outstanding, and the secondary which i live next door to, was recently announced as the best secondary school in west berkshire (including private schools)

So based on the fact we are lucky with the standard of state schools here, it was a no brainer for the kids to attend these.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Our area has some of the best state schools around (East Renfrewshire) and I have good experiences of my own from them however they arnt near as good as a private school IMO

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we discussed it, and dismissed it quite quickly. I know a lot of people that went to a private school, and in the main, most of them are pricks.

We are very fortunate where we live, the kids current primary is oftsed good bordering on outstanding, and the secondary which i live next door to, was recently announced as the best secondary school in west berkshire (including private schools)

So based on the fact we are lucky with the standard of state schools here, it was a no brainer for the kids to attend these.

Hahaha

I was always of the expectation that the parents would be snooty, obnoxious, big flashy car driving and some (maybe more than some) are but there are also normal working class parents like us that do drive normal cars/struggle financially at times.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Our kids are both in private school, mainly due to my wife being a teacher there. My wife has worked at the school since qualifying so apart from our own state school experiences we don't have anything to compare to but I would say that class size, imo, is a big plus in sending your kids to private school.

Is the quality of teaching better - not sure but having smaller classes and more time per pupil has to be a plus, if your child embraces this. Yes the facilities are good, infact there unbelievable, the kids are maybe better behaved, the after school clubs are ridiculously good, the food is great (apparently) and the opportunities available to the kids are fantastic but the thing that I have always been worried about and unfortunately is looking right is friendships outside of school. Because kids come from all over the area rather than a radius of the school is that their friends could live 20/30 minutes away rather than on the next street or 2 minutes away. This is the one thing that I don't like about sending the kids to that school, apart from that its near perfect.

Someone mentioned the cost of trips, guess that depends on your kids and how they accept no for an answer or sorry we can't afford it. The annual trips I don't think are any different to state schools, yes they have skiing trips - like state schools but they also have netball, swimming, athletics etc trips too which are optional, very expensive but amazing if you can afford them/link in with the sports etc that you are doing.

Apart from the friendship element I see it as a no brainer if you can afford it.

Can you get them involved in local sport/hobby clubs outside of school? Best way to tackle your only objection.

1 of our group of 8 best mates went to private school, we got to know him through playing for our local footy team as kids.

Incidentally, he got the best GCSE and A-Level grades by miles. Probably the worst career out of the lot of us though!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Hahaha

I was always of the expectation that the parents would be snooty, obnoxious, big flashy car driving and some (maybe more than some) are but there are also normal working class parents like us that do drive normal cars/struggle financially at times.
Haha, yeah I often take my son to school in the van. Couldn't care whether someone drives a fiesta or a roller, I treat everyone the same. Find it funny how there often seems a bias against private education, I for one wish I had the opportunity. My son getting the best possible education for me is very important, as is understanding the reality that not everyone is as fortunate as him

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you get them involved in local sport/hobby clubs outside of school? Best way to tackle your only objection.

1 of our group of 8 best mates went to private school, we got to know him through playing for our local footy team as kids.

Incidentally, he got the best GCSE and A-Level grades by miles. Probably the worst career out of the lot of us though!

Suppose I'm comparing my school life to theirs. I was involved in football too so had loads of mates that I'm still friends with now but my eldest in particular doesn't have that circle of friends. They do have friends outside of school but not like the amount that me or my wife had.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haha, yeah I often take my son to school in the van. Couldn't care whether someone drives a fiesta or a roller, I treat everyone the same. Find it funny how there often seems a bias against private education, I for one wish I had the opportunity. My son getting the best possible education for me is very important, as is understanding the reality that not everyone is as fortunate as him

Same. I go get them in my clio and park next to Bentley's and massive cars that the mum's can't drive and I couldn't care less. Thankfully our kids understand our situation and realise that everybodies situation is different - money or no money you still need the basics/manners etc and they are good kids doing ok at school. I'm sure, especially the little one, they would be different people if they went to our local state schools and it wouldn't be for the better (I'm only comparing my local area/schools etc)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hahaha

LOL i am not saying the parents are pricks, some friends have their kids in private school and they are normal! Its the now adults whom went to private school i know who are pricks!

Maybe i just got unlucky... lol

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Like it or not Private school education does help open doors in the job market. The Old Boys networks tend to be active in private schools and it’s not what you know but who you know.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Like everything in life, you pay for what you get. If you can afford to and you think it'll be beneficial then go for it.

I'd probably send my kids to private school if I could but I can't afford to so it's not an option for me. I think there are clear educational advantages in private schools. However there are downsides too.

D

Deleted member 1147

Have you seen one of the jokes of the fringe, I think it sums private school up pretty well!

"I've got an Eton-themed advent calendar, where all the doors are opened for me by my Dad's contacts"

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you seen one of the jokes of the fringe, I think it sums private school up pretty well!

"I've got an Eton-themed advent calendar, where all the doors are opened for me by my Dad's contacts"

Thats funny.... what is interesting to see, is how does first generation of Eton-ites thrive. By that i meant, kids going to Eton but their parents have not had the private education but are making the sacrifices to send them there..

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thats funny.... what is interesting to see, is how does first generation of Eton-ites thrive. By that i meant, kids going to Eton but their parents have not had the private education but are making the sacrifices to send them there..
Eh ?
Probably by inviting the lad to tea, or for a game of golf, do Etonians play golf.
Many parents probably had loads of cash and bought their way in.