Diet renders 17 year old blind and deaf

D

Deleted Member 1156

What was the scientific explanation for this? How can what you eat make you go blind/deaf??
It's more a case of what he wasn't eating that appears to have caused the issue if the reports are accurate. Missing lots of important things like fruit, vegetables, proteins, vitamins, chocolate, alcohol, curry, pizza..... ;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I have a similar diet. I also don’t like certain colours and textures. I like my food dry. I got GERD because of my diet.
I only eat bread, cheese, chocolate pasta, certain meats and quorn. I don’t eat fruit. Can manage, green beans, asparagus (grilled only) and rocket due to the green colour being appeasing to my eye.

Could you not wear a blindfold and be fed delicious meals with more variety?

I say this only half in jest. My youngest has serious ocd and until I "got tough" had an appalling diet.

She wouldnt eat fruit as it felt funny in her hands and basically had finger food as she coudn't use fork at the time due to cerebral palsy. I blindfolded her twice. Once for fruit. She now eats approx 6 fruits and has a roast dinner twice a week.

Re the op, I think there is a fine line between giving your kids what they want to eat if it'll as least get eaten and then actailly controlling what they want.

I'm not saying their diet was right at all, but I'm sure we all have some food we don't like and I know there were nights I did actually go hungry as I wasn't being fussy when refusing certain plates..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't eat fruit. Besides the occasional banana before football or half way round the golf course. I just don't like many fruits, and I'm not into forcing myself to eat things I don't like. I do take a Wellman multivitamin most days though. I occasionally eat some vegetables if the missus is making dinner, or when I'm having a salad one or two nights a week.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't eat fruit. Besides the occasional banana before football or half way round the golf course. I just don't like many fruits, and I'm not into forcing myself to eat things I don't like. I do take a Wellman multivitamin most days though. I occasionally eat some vegetables if the missus is making dinner, or when I'm having a salad one or two nights a week.
The person concerned in this case ate nothing of any value, his diet was incredibly narrow and repetitive. If you are having salads and some veg then you are a mile ahead of him, although a lack of fruit is not great news. I doubt many people have their full quota of fruit and veg each day, I certainly don't, but to have zero is dangerous, as this case proves.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think I read once that children are like puppies in that at certain ages there is a window to introduce new things before they start to fear anything new/different. Toddlers that are encouraged to try different foods end up with a much more varied diet and food likes...so, without other medical complications, I'd suggest the parents could have done things differently and the outcome therefore be different.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I agree but surely the school will have seen health signs and should have been "trying" to get the kid to eat normally. Ultimately though the parents should have been more responsible
Unfortunately Homer, some kids are starting school and cannot even wipe there arse end. Kids cannot even hold a knife and fork correctly. Never mind know what foods to eat. kids struggling to read and write. Skool work is only part of there education. It's up to parents to continue what is being taught at Skool. The easy decisions eg giving in so they can eat crap, not spending quality time with them is not the right answer. And whilst am on a rant. Grandparents are spending more and more time educating a generation because of two parents working to support a better "lifestyle" 🤔.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
As a nation we have a rather unhealthy attitude towards food. Too many people take the lazy option of giving their children fast food and sweet things when they're very young and that's the trap set - good luck weaning them back off that once you've dangled that carrot... or not that carrot, as the case may be.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I read once that children are like puppies in that at certain ages there is a window to introduce new things before they start to fear anything new/different. Toddlers that are encouraged to try different foods end up with a much more varied diet and food likes...so, without other medical complications, I'd suggest the parents could have done things differently and the outcome therefore be different.

I'm not sure about that.
My brother eats most foods, whereas I'm incredibly fussy.
We were brought up exactly the same, largely because we are twins.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Surely the only way a 17 year old lad should go blind is by spending too much time with Palmela Handerson and her 5 lovely sisters 😂

I did and I didn't go blind, bit of a limp but that's it. 😁😉

Tashyboy

Visit site
Some of this is true, especially when kids should be trying foods like honey. The problem is with today's generation is that is so easy A, to eat crap. And B to stick to a vegan vegetarian diet without really understanding why. Not knocking either vegan or veg diet. But I have seen kids go onto these diets, not through choice but to appease others again parents not properly educating kids re food.