Most expensive buggy hire ever

D

Deleted member 25172

Hey Dibby, next time you feel the need to digress (post no 153), how about starting a new dedicated thread?
That way we wouldn’t have to wade through 80 posts that have eff all to do with the original topic.
Just a thought.

As much as Dibby may have started the derailment of this, there are other than him that are guilty for it to have gone this far, including myself. Sorry about that.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As much as Dibby may have started the derailment of this, there are other than him that are guilty for it to have gone this far, including myself. Sorry about that.

Why be sorry?

Although we may disagree, I thought (pointless repeated jibes from some aside) that it was an interesting conversation, and is related to the original topic about rules relating to medical requirements for golf. If others don't want to read about it, they can skip it, it clearly was a somewhat engaging topic, as it got so many responses.

D

Deleted member 25172

Why be sorry?

Although we may disagree, I thought (pointless repeated jibes from some aside) that it was an interesting conversation, and is related to the original topic about rules relating to medical requirements for golf. If others don't want to read about it, they can skip it, it clearly was a somewhat engaging topic, as it got so many responses.

Cause I’m in agreement that this topic has nothing to do with the original topic. But that’s not another debate cause you’ve already stated you do believe it’s related.
That it’s an engaging topic has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair, I too have been part of the derailment.

But l think both elements have probably run their course. We should leave this one to its original purpose if anyone has more to say on that, and move the side topic to a new thread. But personally, I'll not be bothering.

sunshine

Visit site
Not true at all.

The bolding is mine for emphasis.

Source - England Golf

Ah poor Dibby, looks like you've got the wrong end of the stick and been crucified on here. Some of the comments on here a bit harsh, but dusckster provided the right info on the scope of the rules. I guess that's what happens when you quote misleading facts out of context.

sunshine

Visit site
Very few club golfers' driver swingspeed is 100 mph or above despite the BS and, in any event, those 40 swings are spread out over approx 4 hours with pronounced gaps (recovery periods) between them.

To even reference Usain Bolt in the discussion is bizarre to say the least.

Horsepower/ watts are units of power. The power output of a swing lasting one second is not relevant to sprinting 100 metres over ten seconds. You are confusing power and energy consumption so your "fact" is pointless. The debate about buggies related to fatigue.

Ah poor Dibby, looks like you've got the wrong end of the stick. I guess that's what happens when you quote misleading facts out of context. I have a feeling I've heard that before somewhere?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah poor Dibby, looks like you've got the wrong end of the stick and been crucified on here. Some of the comments on here a bit harsh, but dusckster provided the right info on the scope of the rules. I guess that's what happens when you quote misleading facts out of context.
Horsepower/ watts are units of power. The power output of a swing lasting one second is not relevant to sprinting 100 metres over ten seconds. You are confusing power and energy consumption so your "fact" is pointless. The debate about buggies related to fatigue.

Ah poor Dibby, looks like you've got the wrong end of the stick. I guess that's what happens when you quote misleading facts out of context. I have a feeling I've heard that before somewhere?

Actually, it is you who has got the wrong end of the stick on both counts. If you read the full thread, you'll notice:

The post by Duckster referenced the England Golf 2015 anti-doping rules, which were replaced in 2016 by guidance which said that England golf is adopting the UKADA 2015 rules and any future updates. From this it came down to how you interpret those rules, you are welcome to do this as you please, but England golf provided their own interpretation. Basically, if you think I am wrong, you also think England golf are wrong, which is entirely possible, but I think it's reasonable to assume England Golf have a better idea of the intent and scope of their own rules than some random forum posters.

I never compared the golf swing to 100m of sprinting, I compared the power output used in the event of the 100m sprint, but referenced the shorter duration, but higher frequency of the golf swing. You'll notice I actually reference the sprint start and a short distance of somewhere between 5-10m. Power and energy are related. You stated a Watt is a unit of power, this is correct. What is a Watt-Second a measure of? I'll give you a clue, on your energy bills they use a similar unit the Kilowatt-Hour.

Happy to discuss further, as it's interesting to see other views, but only if you are disagreeing with what I actually said. I am happy to be proven wrong and learn something new, but misquoting me, and then destroying the misquote doesn't do that.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
So the power of a 100mph driver swing is 2hp? At what point? Impact? Because it won't be during the backswing or the transition, maybe just the bottom half of the downswing. Less than half a second. On a par 72 course we are talking 36 full shots (let's ignore the fact that wedges and half or 3/4 swings will require significantly less effort) so maybe 15 seconds of max output. Spread out over four hours that is absolutely nothing.
And if you claim sprinting is 3hp max power then that requires way more energy than a 2hp driver swing, 50% more in fact. That's a big gap!

Don't get me started on the doping question. You've made quite a few assumptions in your interpretations, others have already said plenty!

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So the power of a 100mph driver swing is 2hp? At what point? Impact? Because it won't be during the backswing or the transition, maybe just the bottom half of the downswing. Less than half a second. On a par 72 course we are talking 36 full shots (let's ignore the fact that wedges and half or 3/4 swings will require significantly less effort) so maybe 15 seconds of max output. Spread out over four hours that is absolutely nothing.
And if you claim sprinting is 3hp max power then that requires way more energy than a 2hp driver swing, 50% more in fact. That's a big gap!

Don't get me started on the doping question. You've made quite a few assumptions in your interpretations, others have already said plenty!

That's an elite sprinter, against a non-elite golf swing. A non-elite sprinter would be a lower output, but the point is it's still that person max effort. My real point is that the golf swing takes a lot of effort to execute, being fresher and having more when you do it will be an advantage. This is without even considering all the other impacts dehydration, calories burned from walking etc..
Remember the discussion wasn't about the exact power and energy usage of the golf swing, just that it wasn't a small effort and is impacted by fatigue. If you disagree, then fair enough, but it's hardly a ridiculous claim, and whilst I may not have made a conclusive argument, no one has made a conclusive counter-argument beyond "I don't feel tired when I play golf". What humans feel and what is actually happening rarely matches.

The doping question is clear cut. See the below screenshot form the England Golf guidance. Not my interpretation, England Golfs own words. Read the last line of their guidance.

Please explain what assumptions I have made? I am pretty sure I am the only person who has not made assumptions about this statement, as I am taking it literally.

Golf AntiDoping.PNG

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's an elite sprinter, against a non-elite golf swing. A non-elite sprinter would be a lower output, but the point is it's still that person max effort. My real point is that the golf swing takes a lot of effort to execute, being fresher and having more when you do it will be an advantage. This is without even considering all the other impacts dehydration, calories burned from walking etc..
Remember the discussion wasn't about the exact power and energy usage of the golf swing, just that it wasn't a small effort and is impacted by fatigue. If you disagree, then fair enough, but it's hardly a ridiculous claim, and whilst I may not have made a conclusive argument, no one has made a conclusive counter-argument beyond "I don't feel tired when I play golf". What humans feel and what is actually happening rarely matches.

The doping question is clear cut. See the below screenshot form the England Golf guidance. Not my interpretation, England Golfs own words. Read the last line of their guidance.

Please explain what assumptions I have made? I am pretty sure I am the only person who has not made assumptions about this statement, as I am taking it literally.

View attachment 26834
So basically a huge majority of club golfers are drug cheats as they take medicines for all sorts of illnesses and complaints. I am pretty sure not all of these will comply with the list of approved drugs. What do you suggest. We all stop playing unless you pass a drugs test on the first tee. I cannot believe for one moment the EGU aren't aware of this situation but obviously we all participate each weekend so seemingly they choose to ignore their own edict

sunshine

Visit site
Ok, I'm going to summarise my opinion (no scientific basis): fatigue in golf is almost entirely due to walking the course and dehydration etc. The impact of swinging a club is minimal. And I agree that fatigue contributes to poor execution of the golf swing.

sunshine

Visit site
England golf organises competitions, such as the Brabazon Trophy, and the the anti-doping rules must apply in these comps. The assumption is that club competitions like the monthly medal fall under the governance of England golf.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not wanting to start a riot. But can you lot that are derailing this topic bugger off. Am waiting to see how me main man is going on re his comp and all am reading about is wattage, blah blah blah. Start another thread if you must on drugs wattage odd socks etc.