RSVP

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Because I occasionally like to roll my eyes and sigh at the world, I sometimes end up on the daily mail website

Today there’s a column about the lack of RSVP in society (which might actually be a problem) however the real example used to highlight this ‘issue’ was the lack of RSVP’s a mother received to a birthday party invitation for a 4yr old.
Having only some contact details for the friends the 4yr old wanted to invite she gave the remaining invites to nursery staff to give to parents (clearly the child doesn’t associate with those particular kids outside nursery otherwise parents would’ve previously shared contact details) As it happens those parents of kids that didn’t RSVP didn’t turn up, so a kind of ‘I didn’t say I was coming so I’m not’ type of RSVP and this pee’d off the mother trying to organize the party

But reading it I couldn’t find any sympathy for the mother (easy to find sympathy for the kid though) and if you’ve ever organised a golf event/group of players of any scale you’ll know already what a pain it can be getting responses etc (look at the ‘arranging a matchplay tie’ thread)

Basically mum made no other efforts to confirm who was coming, instead relying solely on the social etiquette of receiving an RSVP… but then bought wasted extra party stuff anyway just in case and now wants to moan about it! (I don't know but I'll guess mum didn't add any date the RSVP was required & if not she bears some added responsibility)

I get there are formal functions where an RSVP really makes a difference but for me a party for a 4yr old is not one of them. Get the hankies out, but I can’t remember ever having a birthday party as a kid, let alone one formal enough in nature to require an RSVP. In fact I don’t think I even had a party for my birthday at all until well into adulthood and as a social event sure I wanted to get an idea of numbers but I wouldn’t dream of simply issuing invites and waiting to see who turns up (just like organising a golf event) You need to put a bit more effort in to follow up with people simply because as an event its importance does not warrant the full invite/rsvp thing

And when parents start throwing out invites for this, that and the next thing (especially to people they don’t even know) and try and elevate the stature of a toddlers birthday bash into a actual function, they can’t really expect other parents to see it the same way
For this type of event mum doesn't want an RSVP so that seating plans, transport, overnight accommodation, capacity issues etc etc could be arranged & catered for, she just needs to know whether to get another bag of sausage rolls!

Not sure if I'm ranting about the fact some parents think a screaming mob of 4yr olds represents a function befitting the social etiquette of an RSVP or self-pity that I didn't have any parties :cry: but it did make me roll my eyes and sigh :rolleyes:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can remember birthday parties I was invited to or had always had an RSVP on the invite, and it was always used.
To give out invites randomly is stupid though, and not something I can ever remember anyone doing when I was growing up. Perhaps it’s the way of “look at me we’re important”
However the modern way seems to be “can I be bothered to go even though I might have verbally said I/we will go”.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Having just organised a party for a 4yr old, (well I paid for it, so I’m claiming I organised it!), people not turning up isn’t so much of an issue, it’s those who don’t respond but still turn up that are an issue, as there maybe a limit to how many you are allowed, or you’ve paid for a certain number of kids.

To send random invites is stupid, it’s not hard to write a list, put contact details on the invite and then know who is/isn’t coming.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of the invites that my kids get have a phone number for the parent (normally mum) on the bottom and a request to let them know if they'll be there. To me it's simply good manners to send a text saying yes or no.

With regards to this bit.......

"when parents start throwing out invites for this, that and the next thing (especially to people they don’t even know)"

It's not normally the parents doing the inviting. For my younger boys party he wanted to invite several people from his class that I didn't know and had no idea who the parents were so he basically wrote his invites, Mrs Colch added her number to the bottom, and then he took them in to school and handed them out. Mrs Colch then checked on who was coming and if any replies were missing would ask my son who the child was so that she could ask them in the playground after school.

I think there's blame on both sides. On the mother for not bothering to follow up on the RSVPs and on the side of the parents of the invited kids for not having the courtesy to reply to the invite.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We do all family invites in private fb events

One of my golf societies does this aswell

Keeps it simple. People click yes no or maybe.. if they click no their not bothered again by the group if maybe they get reminded

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having just organised a party for a 4yr old, (well I paid for it, so I’m claiming I organised it!), people not turning up isn’t so much of an issue, it’s those who don’t respond but still turn up that are an issue, as there maybe a limit to how many you are allowed, or you’ve paid for a certain number of kids.

To send random invites is stupid, it’s not hard to write a list, put contact details on the invite and then know who is/isn’t coming.

THIS!! we had the same, sent 25 invites, about 19 RSVP'd a few said they couldn't come, so we were expecting 16 kids. We ended up with 20. Its just plain rude.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm past this stage thankfully but I also class it as rude. Most of these invites will have a text number or email to reply to. In this modern era that is 5 seconds out of your life just to confirm either way. If you are organising a kids party it may be at a venue. They need numbers for food, you need them for party bags. Basic manners.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In any situation where I've invited people to something, if I don't get a reply then I assume they're not coming. Why would you do anything else? It's politer for them to reply and decline of course, but if I don't hear from them I'm not going to make allowances on the off chance they show up. If they WERE coming they would tell you. If someone doesn't reply and then turns up and you haven't allowed for them, then tough luck for them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In any situation where I've invited people to something, if I don't get a reply then I assume they're not coming. Why would you do anything else? It's politer for them to reply and decline of course, but if I don't hear from them I'm not going to make allowances on the off chance they show up. If they WERE coming they would tell you. If someone doesn't reply and then turns up and you haven't allowed for them, then tough luck for them.
It doesn't quite work that way for a kids party. You don't turn a 4/5/6yr old etc away because their parents have no manners. Blocking the door and having a child in tears is a good way to kill a party mood.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't quite work that way for a kids party. You don't turn a 4/5/6yr old etc away because their parents have no manners. Blocking the door and having a child in tears is a good way to kill a party mood.
Parents' fault, they can deal with it. Haha, no I'm kidding, I was just speaking generally. In fairness, for our wedding we had to chase up the RSVPs who hadn't responded in case they turned up expecting a meal and got none, so in the children's party case I guess it's more like that. For the women in the OP's story, the sensible thing would be obviously to chase up those who hadn't replied yet.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Parents' fault, they can deal with it. Haha, no I'm kidding, I was just speaking generally. In fairness, for our wedding we had to chase up the RSVPs who hadn't responded in case they turned up expecting a meal and got none, so in the children's party case I guess it's more like that. For the women in the OP's story, the sensible thing would be obviously to chase up those who hadn't replied yet.
Ah but then they could not complain on FB. (to be fair you shouldn't have to but you are right, that is the next step)

Wolf

Visit site
Ah but then they could not complain on FB. (to be fair you shouldn't have to but you are right, that is the next step)
I think that's the crux of it with modern society...

In my experience and having 6 kids I have a lot of experience in this area. The norm has been kids decide who they want they take invites to school and generally come back with the replies in their book bags etc. Say we get 10 out 20 invites back, we then make an over allowance for a couple of stragglers that may have forgotten to bring it back and tends to work well enough.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that's the crux of it with modern society...

In my experience and having 6 kids I have a lot of experience in this area. The norm has been kids decide who they want they take invites to school and generally come back with the replies in their book bags etc. Say we get 10 out 20 invites back, we then make an over allowance for a couple of stragglers that may have forgotten to bring it back and tends to work well enough.
Mine are now 17 and 19 so I have long past this stage. However we have been through it, pleased to be out of the other side. We always allowed 3-4 extra places, it is not the kids fault that their parents have no manners.

6 kids, blimey. 2 was plenty for me.

Wolf

Visit site
Mine are now 17 and 19 so I have long past this stage. However we have been through it, pleased to be out of the other side. We always allowed 3-4 extra places, it is not the kids fault that their parents have no manners.

6 kids, blimey. 2 was plenty for me.
Agreed completely, not the kids fault parents are ignorant. We like you did always allow a few extra spots just incase.

Yep 6 kids from 19years old down to 5 years old. They're bloody brilliant, expensive but brilliant. Christmas is such a buzz especially as they're more interested in being together than what they getm

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I was a guest at a 4yr old party the other week, in a public soft play, and one of the parents, without telling anyone, just left her daughter there on her own!