Your time again?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I grew up in the 70’s and early eighties. My dad, being born in ‘31 always used to say he wouldn’t want to be growing up at the time I was and wouldn’t want his time again. I always thought he was mad.
I find myself now saying the same things to both my daughters, who are mid and late 20’s.
Do you feel and think the same?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep, totally.
When I started work if you wanted something you had to save to get it. I worked overtime Sat and Sunday to get my first bi ke. Think it gave me values that I think are rare toda y.

Wolf

Visit site
I'd definitely have my time again. Lots of mistakes I'd like to have not made and seen where I end up had I not made them..

That being said there's still so much more I liked about growing up so tough to say

D

Deleted member 21258

I grew about late 70s but 80s/early 90s really.

Wouldn't really worry if I have to grow up now or before, as I would adapt, but certainly would not want to have my time again and make all the same(or very similar ones) painful mistakes again.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There’s good a bad in every era. I love the technology out now and wouldn’t want to go back to a time that didn’t include iPads. But what about apprenticeships? In the mid-late 70’s it was possible to swap from one apprenticeship to another. How many apprenticeships are there around now?

I enjoyed growing up when I did, and there’s a few mistakes I’d like to put right but I’m not fussed in going back in time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think there's loads I'd do differently, maybe one or two things, but I'd still do it all again. Even if I do everything the same. You get to live longer that way so it's a no-brainer.

Or if we're talking about eras, then no, I wouldn't want to be growing up now. The next generation won't be able to afford houses until they're about 50, and they'll retire when they're dead.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely would! Have made so many mistakes over the years that I'd like to change, as long as I could still have the same wife and kids I have now though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I havnt really made any big mistakes .
But life was easier in my youth.
It would be nice going back knowing what I know now.
I liked the simple life back in 70s roads virtually empty. Different problems I know.
Now everyone’s in such a hurry.
Feel sorry for young men ,how do they approach a woman without being accused of something ( Not all obviously)
There’s still so much poverty here ,it’s good for some people now but not all.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you were to grow up in the now you'd be totally different, you'd embrace everything that today has to offer and would adapt to it. Personally I'd love it.

If I could I'd only go back a few years to being born maybe early 70's rather than 77 as I'd loved to have experienced the late 80's/early 90's music scene. But I wouldn't change a lot as you learn from your mistakes and I didn't make that many really.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
There certainly were many charms of growing up in the 90s and into the early 2000s.

N64 was a highlight for sure, we still had mobiles and computers too but just a different view on what good graphics was.

I would trade if I could, our children should see wonders we could not even imagine.

Hitdaball

Visit site
I played round Sunningdale with 3 members of the force from Woodhall Spa.

If I had my time again I’d join the Police at 18 as this year I would be retiring on a full pension to play golf for the next 20years rather than having to paste a smile on my face every morning and keep working 😆

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went ot school in the 70's and out to work by 83. Plenty of mistakes made along the way but also a well lived life. Aside from never having the chance to pursue my original career plan (journalist) I don't think having too many regrets is healthy. Live each day to the full, and be the best person you can