Winter Golf and Handicap

sjw

Visit site
Really? What are the alternatives? Allowing clubs to choose which comps count and which do not (which apparently some clubs are doing), or worse, allowing players to pick and choose which scores they submit for handicapping?
First BIB - exactly that. What harm does it do?

Second BIB - not sure how that is an alternative. Players would know going in to the tournament if its qualifying or not, just as they do now.

Swango1980

Visit site
Really? What are the alternatives? Allowing clubs to choose which comps count and which do not (which apparently some clubs are doing), or worse, allowing players to pick and choose which scores they submit for handicapping?
Regarding your second point:

Players can pick or choose which social rounds they submit for handicap. Why would it suddenly become controversial if the round is a competition round?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regarding your second point:

Players can pick or choose which social rounds they submit for handicap. Why would it suddenly become controversial if the round is a competition round?
I suspect you may have misread the post. It is not about entering a competition but about returning scores.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they do - the 12 handicapper's game has deteriorated and is no longer a 12. But a 17. The system is reflecting their decreased standard of golf. Not marooning them on 13 as UHS would have done.
This is me exactly... in Oct 2022 I suffered a very heavy fall that disturbed lower vertebrates & developed sciatic problems & some mobility. At that time I was HI 11.6 When the Q season restarted in April 2023 I put in Comp & general Cards as usual. I went through the soft cap & then the hard at 16.6 having spent 10 months following the physios exercises & joining a gym to increase strength. This would have been impossible in UHS. During that time I had some really good rounds when my medication & attitude were in the right place winning the Leeds Vets Cup for 70+ & being placed in a few B/Ball pairs events. The increase in HI came from submitted rounds rather than an appeal to the H/cap Committee so the 'embarrassment' of getting it that way was avoided. I'm now at HI 17.5 & a bit of a bandit as my work in the Gym is beginning to pay off though I am having to make use of a trekking pole to get around 18 holes in these demanding conditions. My 20th score is on July 24th so most of my good Summer scores prior to the injury have now gone. I'm scoring really well in pairs & hopefully tomorrow in a Trophy individual Comp.
At my Club WHS has been a massive success though we've had to put quite a number of Comp conditions in place to 'protect' Board & Trophy Comps though we were already doing that under UHS.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
This is me exactly... in Oct 2022 I suffered a very heavy fall that disturbed lower vertebrates & developed sciatic problems & some mobility. At that time I was HI 11.6 When the Q season restarted in April 2023 I put in Comp & general Cards as usual. I went through the soft cap & then the hard at 16.6 having spent 10 months following the physios exercises & joining a gym to increase strength. This would have been impossible in UHS. During that time I had some really good rounds when my medication & attitude were in the right place winning the Leeds Vets Cup for 70+ & being placed in a few B/Ball pairs events. The increase in HI came from submitted rounds rather than an appeal to the H/cap Committee so the 'embarrassment' of getting it that way was avoided. I'm now at HI 17.5 & a bit of a bandit as my work in the Gym is beginning to pay off though I am having to make use of a trekking pole to get around 18 holes in these demanding conditions. My 20th score is on July 24th so most of my good Summer scores prior to the injury have now gone. I'm scoring really well in pairs & hopefully tomorrow in a Trophy individual Comp.
At my Club WHS has been a massive success though we've had to put quite a number of Comp conditions in place to 'protect' Board & Trophy Comps though we were already doing that under UHS.
But that's down to injury, which is quite different, and still underlying you'll be the same player. DO you think it's right that your handicap will artificially inflate, and then when your fitness returns you're suddenly playing off 3 or 4 too many?

Happened to me start of this year, I was 4.0 in Aug 22, wet spring affected me as I am fairly short, and not great off soft lies, I headed up and up, got a false 7.8 at one point, then as summer s]came in and things dried up I came crashing down again to.......4.0. There is no way I should have gained 4 playing shots, it was a temp issue down to weather, I've ened the season on 4.9 which is more or les where i always sit.

The upward variance in handicaps is far too much, another guy at my away club started the year on 4 and finished playing off 9, won two trophies at the end of the year and should have had a third, and this is a club that has 150+ playing every medal. His handicap was legit, but he went through a weak spell of form in mid-summer and plays a lot, I presume hit the hard cap as well.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But that's down to injury, which is quite different, and still underlying you'll be the same player. DO you think it's right that your handicap will artificially inflate, and then when your fitness returns you're suddenly playing off 3 or 4 too many?

Happened to me start of this year, I was 4.0 in Aug 22, wet spring affected me as I am fairly short, and not great off soft lies, I headed up and up, got a false 7.8 at one point, then as summer s]came in and things dried up I came crashing down again to.......4.0. There is no way I should have gained 4 playing shots, it was a temp issue down to weather, I've ened the season on 4.9 which is more or les where i always sit.

The upward variance in handicaps is far too much, another guy at my away club started the year on 4 and finished playing off 9, won two trophies at the end of the year and should have had a third, and this is a club that has 150+ playing every medal. His handicap was legit, but he went through a weak spell of form in mid-summer and plays a lot, I presume hit the hard cap as well.
Nothing artificial at all..... it's where my game is at present. Hahaha.... at 75+years fitness does not return suddenly!! I may not even get back to where I was at 11.6 so all one can do is continue to put in cards & do one's best.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
yeah that's what I said :rolleyes: 🤡
Funny how you haven’t been jumping on people making derogatory comments about Americans or sweeping generalisations about the English!

Or even explained how my post offended you so much?

I wonder if the mods had anything to say given your accusation given another member was threatened because he told another poster not to be stupid?

Double standards all round!!!!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Funny how you haven’t been jumping on people making derogatory comments about Americans or sweeping generalisations about the English!

Or even explained how my post offended you so much?

I wonder if the mods had anything to say given your accusation given another member was threatened because he told another poster not to be stupid?

Double standards all round!!!!
You see, I need to have seen those things for them to be a thing

As for your post, it was simply explained, surely didn't need expanded upon, trite inaccurate boring tropes are as funny as a dose of covid