Parkinson’s Golf

Theshakygolfer

Visit site
Good morning all,

I have Parkinsons and aged mid 50’s that’s a bitter pill to swallow ( literally sometimes), having played a lot of golf as a boy but the stopped as work got in the way, I’ve started again recently as apparently keeping active will slow the progression of this bloody awful condition, but also unfortunately my driving is scaring the living daylights out of anyone who dares step foot into anything I’m driving, so I guess I’m limited to just short distances now, which brings m onto the reason for the thread, I’m looking to compile and hopefully play courses easily accessible by public transportation, either rail, tube buses etc and also whether those courses have buggies, I want to try and he folks like me who are desperate to play and keep active, keep playing.. thanks for reading.

RichA

Visit site
Not sure that I can be of any help - where I play is only 25 miles from central London but off the beaten track as far as public transport is concerned.
I do see plenty of folks with golf clubs on the underground when I'm in London. Hopefully some of them are on here. Good luck.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Do you use Twitter (or X as we should now be calling it).

There is an account on there that features golf courses that are accessible by railway - they often include maps and details on how to get from the railway station to the course.

If you aren't using twitter and want some posting on here let me know the areas you fancy and I'll see what they have featured. (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best of luck with this.

Top of my head, I would say Gosforth GC and City of Newcastle are manageable via train to Newcastle then bus through Gosforth.

Northumberland is likely to be a tricky one for this. It's a rural county and public transport isn't the best. Morpeth is a course that is potentially reachable but then the question becomes how much walking between train and bus stops is okay?

I'll keep thinking.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Hillside and Southport and Ainsdale - I don't think I've ever seen a railways station so close to two courses, and Royal Birkdale isn't far away either - obviously assuming you are absolutely minted... ;) :ROFLMAO:
Royal St Davids is about 200 metres from Harlech station - short walk through the town.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Silverdale in Lancashire. There is a sign on the 10th tee warning golfers not to tee off if they hear a train sound its horn. The station is on the other side of the bushes.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I was going to say Silverdale as well, also Pleasington is about 100 yards from the nearest station.

Edit to say I hope you find one that meets your needs and best of luck with such an awful condition.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Best of luck with your golf and your health.
If you are ever on holiday in Scotland the Troon municipal courses are excellent value for money, have three courses of varying length and are very close to Troon railway station.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Best of luck with your golf and your health.
If you are ever on holiday in Scotland the Troon municipal courses are excellent value for money, have three courses of varying length and are very close to Troon railway station.
(y)

And if you go next stop to Prestwick you tee off on the 1st to a gallery of train passengers on the station platform.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Lincolnshire isn't very well-served by public transport, but these might be doable. The walking times are based on Google maps, I appreciate that they might be ambitious for someone with Parkinson's! In most cases, I don't know about availability of buggies.
  • Blankney GC, the pro shop is a 2 min walk from the bus stop, the 31X stops there, it also stops at Lincoln and Sleaford railway stations
  • Sleaford GC is a 3 min walk from Rauceby railway station (they only have a couple of buggies so need to book)
  • Forest Pines GC, the 4 bus goes there from Barnetby railway station, the bus stop is a 10 min walk from the pro shop (this is a hotel so huge fleet of buggies)
  • Grimsby GC is a 4 min walk from the bus stop, the 4 bus goes from Grimsby Town railway station
  • Cleethorpes GC is a 2 min walk from the bus stop, the 10 bus goes from Grimsby Town railway station