Club Membership - Co.Durham // Teesside area

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Billingham GC - very busy club. Used to ballot out members in the winter. A bit wet occasionally. A bit forgettable really.

Very busy club........and even busier since the post lockdown golf boom started, mental in fact. It will be interesting to see what happens come winter.
Used to ballot out members in the winter.........This has not happened for at least 28 years, guaranteed.
A bit wet occasionally..........like just about every club in the country that is built on clay the last few winters have been rather grim. I have pictures on my phone of the 12th where you can only see half the flag the rest being under water. That is a rather extreme example and at the end of the day who are we to complain when peoples homes and businesses suffer during such times.
A bit forgettable really........it would be interesting to know when you last played it. They planted 2500 trees about 20 years ago, they just about all took and really need thinning out as the course is practically a forest. There is no such thing as at flat lie at Billingham and if you are not on the fairway then you are in the trees. Like it or loath it and it is a difficult course, I'm pretty sure you'll remember it.

Edit. I agree with all your other assessments by the way, except Cleveland which I can't comment on having never played it.

Apart from the ballot bit, what did I get wrong.... bearing in mind its only an opinion?

Its a very busy club [tick]
Ballot [untick] Amazing what people remember down the years, although I did say "used to..."
Bit wet[tick] I was being polite. I left Teesside for Cleveland for that very reason.
Forgetable[tick - for me] Last played it around 2012. Even with the trees I thought it very samey. And great hitting a decent drive, only to find it the other side of the fairway in the trees. I think you hit the nail on the head with the need to thin them out. If someone hits a bad shot they end up dropping two shots quite easily.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
How about Saltburn? A few guys that I play with just played a comp there last week and thought it was pretty decent.

Forgot about Saltburn. Apart from the clubs I was a member at, Saltburn is probably the course I played the most around there. Apart from a few holes that are almost dangerous with their close proximity to each other I really like it. Being up on the hill, it drains well but can be windy too.

Bit of a long drive for someone from Sedgefield.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given you're at Sedgefield I'm surprised Bp Auckland hasn't been mentioned by anyone. Not that I can recommend it as have only played it a couple of times but I've met many members who rate it.
Otherwise, for year round golf, it would be Seaton for me every time as I've previously been a country member there for 4 years travelling 70 mins from N Leeds their 10.30am Sweep on Tues, Wed, Fri & either Sat or Sun depending which day has the Comp. Also with a new Green-keeper the course quality is guaranteed for the future.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Apart from the ballot bit, what did I get wrong.... bearing in mind its only an opinion?

Its a very busy club [tick]
Ballot [untick] Amazing what people remember down the years, although I did say "used to..."
Bit wet[tick] I was being polite. I left Teesside for Cleveland for that very reason.
Forgetable[tick - for me] Last played it around 2012. Even with the trees I thought it very samey. And great hitting a decent drive, only to find it the other side of the fairway in the trees. I think you hit the nail on the head with the need to thin them out. If someone hits a bad shot they end up dropping two shots quite easily.
Not much. I was mostly agreeing with you, I just expanded on a couple of points. And the bit about it being samey is always going to be subjective. I have always found Seaton to be so samey that despite having played it dozens of time I cannot remember a single hole, and yet for Hartlepool which is a somewhat different type of seaside course I can describe every hole to you. One mans water meadow is another mans forest.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
How about Saltburn? A few guys that I play with just played a comp there last week and thought it was pretty decent.
The main problem with any course south of the Tees is the physical act of crossing the Tees. Saltburn, Cleveland, Middlesbrough Brass, Hunley Hall and M'bro Muni would all be a trek from Sedgefield and would become an absolute nightmare if you were travelling at rush hour.
While Teesside is south of the river it is far enough west to be accessible at a stretch.

If someone pushed me and said which club of all those mentioned should I join, then purely from the perspective of which course would provide the most enjoyable playing experience.....Brancepth hands down. However I have no idea what the social aspect is like.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If someone pushed me and said which club of all those mentioned should I join, then purely from the perspective of which course would provide the most enjoyable playing experience.....Brancepth hands down. However I have no idea what the social aspect is like.
IMO this is the best parkland Club course in the County with a good social section though there will always be parts/people you'll be less than 'happy' with....... that's golf clubs.